Subject: More New Spells
From: [email-masked] (Allan J. Mikkola)
Date: 1 Jun 90 21:03:59 GMT

Addendum to the Net Spell Book
==============================

Here's some more spells for the net spell book (keep sending 'em in kids):

All spells are Copyright 1990 Allan J. Mikkola; for personal use only
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Level 4                                   Level 5
-------                                   -------
Uldark's Conjured Fireball                Bone Splinter
Uldark's Conjured Lightning Bolt          Chaos Magic
                                          Tonguetwister

Level 6                                   Level 7
-------                                   -------
Coradon's Cataclysmic Corinary            Magic Quench
                                          
Level 9
-------
Bone Shatter
Genocide
Mezzalldam's Choking Fist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Level 4
-------

Uldark's Conjured Fireball (Conjuration/Summoning)
--------------------------------------------------
Range:           10 yards + 10 yards/2 levels 
Components:      V,S,M 
Duration:        Instantaneous 
Casting Time:    4 
Area of Effect:  15-foot radius 
Saving Throw:    1/2 

    This spell duplicates the 3rd level spell _fireball_ in most respects;
however, instead of shaping the fireball from magical energy as the evocation
version does, this spell actually conjures a ball of fire directly from the
elemental plane of fire.  When the spell is cast, a small interdimensional
connection opens between the plane of fire and the caster's plane; the fireball
enters through this opening and strikes the targets as directed by the caster.
There is a chance that an extraplanar creature may enter through the opening as
well.  The chance of this ocurring is:  20% - 1%/level of the caster (to a 
minimum of 1%).
    This spell has the same effects (including damage) as the evocation ver-
sion, but it is slightly harder to produce these effects in this manner; this 
is reflected in the higher spell level and the reduced range and area of effect.
    The material components for this spell are a piece of flint and a pinch 
of sulphur.

Uldark's Conjured Lightning Bolt (Conjuration/Summoning)
--------------------------------------------------------
Range:           40 yards + 10 yards/2 levels 
Components:      V,S,M 
Duration:        Instantaneous 
Casting Time:    4 
Area of Effect:  Special 
Saving Throw:    1/2 

    This spell is similar to _Uldark's Conjured Fireball_ except that it 
conjures a lightning bolt from the quasi-elemental plane of lightning, instead
of a fireball from the plane of fire.  The chance that an extraplanar creature
enters the caster's plane is the same as that of the _Conjured Fireball_ spell.
The effects of this spell are identical to that of the normal _lightning bolt_ 
spell, but the area of effect is either a bolt 30' long and 10' wide, or a bolt 
60' long and 5' wide.
    The material components of this spell are a small metal rod and the skin of
an electric eel.

Level 5
-------

Bone Splinter (Evocation)
-------------------------
Range:           Touch 
Components:      V,S,M 
Duration:        1 round/5 levels 
Casting Time:    5 
Area of Effect:  1 target 
Saving Throw:    Special 

    Once this spell is cast, it will affect a single target that must be hit 
in melee by the caster.  The target will suffer a minor bone fracture when 
affected by this spell.  If the caster misses, additional attacks may be made
in following rounds, as long as the spell duration allows.  The spell ends 
when a hit is scored, or when the duration expires, whichever comes first.
    The wizard uses his/her normal THAC0 with a +1 "to hit" bonus, but must 
make a called shot (see The Complete Fighter's Manual for details) to one of 
the hit locations listed below; the appropriate "to hit" modifier must be
applied to the combat roll.  Normal attacks are not considered accurate enough
to do any real damage with this spell.
    The possible hit locations, along with their combat modifier, restrictions,
and effects are as follows:

          to hit
location   mod.   effects
--------  ------  -------
head        -8    minor skull fracture:  2d8 points of damage (save vs. spell
                                         for 1/2 damage).
arm*        -4    minor broken arm:      -2 to STR & DEX when using this arm;
                                         -2 to hit, or shield worthless 50% of
                                         the time.
leg*        -4    minor broken leg:      -2 to DEX when using this leg (i.e.
                                         defensive adjustment); movement rate
                                         is at 3/4 normal.
ribs        -4    cracked rib:           loss of 1d4 CST points and suffer 1d6 
                                         points of damage (no save).
spine@      -8    cracked vertebrae:     save vs. spell or become paralyzed for
                                         2d10 rounds.
pelvis      -4    minor hip fracture:    -4 to DEX when using legs; movement
                                         rate is at 1/2 normal.

* if attacking from the side, only the nearest appendage may be targeted.
@ the spine may only be targeted if attacking from the rear.

Multiple hits inflict cumulative damage.  A _cure serious wounds_ will heal one
of these effects, but will not heal any associated hit point loss (another cure
spell is required to do so).  A _cure critical wounds_ will heal two effects,
and a _heal_ will fully restore the victim (unless dead).
    The material components for this spell are a bit of bone and a small metal
hammer, both of which are consumed when the spell is cast.
 
[author's note:  the requirement for called shots is simply for convience; if 
the DM wishes to compile a hit location chart, then normal attacks may be used 
in addition to called shots.] 

Chaos Magic (Alteration)
------------------------
Range:           5 feet/level 
Components:      V,S,M 
Duration:        Permanent 
Casting Time:    5 
Area of Effect:  1 foot radius/level 
Saving Throw:    None 

    This spell creates a sphere that has all the properties of a Forgotten 
Realms (tm) Wild Magic Area (see the FR Sourcebook for details).  The area of 
choas magic is permanent until destroyed (it may only be destroyed as per a 
wild magic area).  The sphere of chaos magic is non-mobile.
    The material component for this spell is a pint of blood from any chaotic
magic-using creature.  The blood is consumed when the spell is cast.

Tonguetwister (Alteration, Abjuration)
--------------------------------------
Range:           10 feet/level 
Components:      V,S,M 
Duration:        Instantaneous 
Casting Time:    5 
Area of Effect:  1 target 
Saving Throw:    Neg 

    When this spell is cast on an enemy spellcaster, it will cause the target's
tongue to twitch violently, thus disrupting any spell being cast at the moment,
unless the victim makes a successful save vs. spell.  The level of the spell
being cast by the target determines the modifier applied to the save as follows:
save modifier = spell level - 5 (i.e. a 2nd level spell inflicts a -3 to the 
save, a 7th level spell earns a +2 to the save, etc.).
    The victim must be in the process of casting a spell with a *verbal* compo-
nent.  If no spell is currently being cast by the target, the _tonguetwister_
has no effect.  If the opponent's spell goes into effect at the same time as 
the _tonguetwister_, the victim earns an additional +2 bonus to the save.  This
spell cannot affect a spell that has already been cast, nor one that is to be
cast in the future.
    The material component of this spell is a tongue of any creature; this is
consumed when the spell is cast.

Level 6
-------

Coradon's Cataclysmic Corinary (Invocation/Evocation, Necromancy)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Range:           Touch 
Components:      V,S 
Duration:        1 round/2 levels 
Casting Time:    2 
Area of Effect:  1 target 
Saving Throw:    Special 

    After this spell is cast, the wizard must make a successful attack in melee
to affect the target.  The wizard's normal THAC0 is used with a +2 modifier to
hit.  The spell will last until a hit is scored, or until the duration expires,
whichever comes first.  If a hit is made, the victim suffers a massive heart
attack and must make a successful system shock roll or die.  Even if this roll
succeeds, the target suffers damage equal to:  1d4 + 1/level of the caster.

Level 7
-------

Magic Quench (Alteration, Abjuration)
-------------------------------------
Range:           5 feet/level 
Components:      V,S,M 
Duration:        Permanent 
Casting Time:    1 round 
Area of Effect:  1 foot radius/level 
Saving Throw:    None 

    This spell creates a sphere that has all the properties of a Forgotten 
Realms (tm) Dead Magic Area (see the FR Sourcebook for details).  The area of 
dead magic is permanent until destroyed (it may only be destroyed as per a dead
magic area).  The sphere of dead magic is non-mobile.
    The material component for this spell is a pint of blood from any recently
slain magic-using creature.  The blood is consumed when the spell is cast.

Level 9
-------

Bone Shatter (Evocation)
------------------------
Range:           Touch 
Components:      V,S,M 
Duration:        1 round/5 levels 
Casting Time:    9 
Area of Effect:  1 target 
Saving Throw:    Special 

    This is a more powerful version of the 5th level spell _Bone Splinter_.  It
is identical to that spell except that is has a +3 "to hit" bonus and causes a
serious compound fracture when a hit is scored in melee, with the following
results:

          to hit
location   mod.   effects
--------  ------  -------
head        -8    major skull fracture:  save vs. spell or die; else suffer
                                         4d8 points of damage (no save for 1/2).
arm*        -4    major broken arm:      arm is totally useless; it cannot be
                                         used to attack or defend with.
leg*        -4    major broken leg:      leg is totally useless; movement is
                                         1/2 normal.
ribs        -4    broken rib:            loss of 1d6 CST points and 2d8 points
                                         of damage (no save).
spine@      -8    severed vertebrae:     save vs. spell or die; else paralyzed 
                                         until healed/cured.
pelvis      -4    major hip fracture:    -6 to DEX when using legs; movement
                                         rate is at 1/4 normal; suffer 3d8
                                         points of damage (no save).

* if attacking from the side, only the nearest appendage may be targeted.
@ the spine may only be targeted if attacking from the rear.

    A _cure critical wounds_ spell is required to heal one of these effects
(except for paralysis, which must be cured by normal means) as long as the
victim is still alive, and a _heal_ spell will fully restore a living victim to
full health.
    The material components for this spell are an intact bone of at least a 
foot in length, and a large metal hammer which are consumed when the spell is 
cast.

Genocide (Evocation, Necromancy)
--------------------------------
Range:           5 yards/level 
Components:      V,S,M 
Duration:        Permanent 
Casting Time:    9 
Area of Effect:  20-foot radius 
Saving Throw:    Special 

    This spell allows the caster to kill one or more creatures of the same
species; the caster chooses a creature as the initial target for the spell,
and after the incantations are complete, a black bolt shoots forth from the
caster's finger towards the chosen target.  If this creature makes its saving
throw vs. spell at -2 (or if it has 15 or more HD) there is no effect and the 
spell terminates.  
    If the save of the initial target fails, the creature dies, and the spell 
continues as follows:  if there are no more creatures of the same species
within the area of effect, the spell ends at this point.  Otherwise, the bolt 
will continue jumping to other targets.  The bolt jumps randomly from one    
target to the next; range is not a consideration - as long as the target is in
the area of effect, and it is of the appropriate race, it may be hit by the 
bolt.  Each creature that is hit with the bolt must make a successful saving 
throw vs. spell (with no modifiers) or die.  
    This spell will affect a number of hit dice equal to:  10 HD + 1 HD/level 
of the caster (the number of creatures is not a factor).  The spell will termi-
nate when one or more of the following occurs:  the HD limit is exceeded, there
are no more potential targets in the area of effect, or the bolt strikes a 
target with more than 15 HD (such a creature is unaffected by this spell).  
Each target hit with the bolt counts towards the HD limit, whether its saving 
throw was successful or not.
    The bolt will never jump to a creature of a different species, or to one 
that has already been hit (whether living or dead).  Any creature with more HD
than the original target will not be affected by the bolt, but its number of HD
is still counted towards the HD limit of the spell.  If a target's HD would
exceed the limit of the spell, it is not affected (and the spell terminates).
    The bolt will never jump back to the caster; in addition, the caster may
choose individuals to be unaffected by the spell simply by naming them as part
of the incantations (usually used to avoid killing friends or allies).
    Note that some races are closely related, but are not considered identical
species for purposes of this spell (i.e. goblinkin).  "Half-breeds" will be 
affected by this spell if either of their parent-race is targeted, as well as 
when the cross-breed is specifically targeted.  However, if a parent-race is 
named as the target, a half-breed of that race earns a +2 to its save.  For 
example, a half-elf is affected normally if half-elves are named as the target 
of this spell.  They would also be affected if either humans or elves were 
targeted, although they would gain a +2 to their saves in the latter two cases.
    After this spell is cast, the wizard must make a successful system shock
roll or fall unconscious for 1d10 rounds.  Note that the DM may wish to inflict
other penalties on the caster due to loss of blood (see material components be-
low), especially if the spell is cast more than once is a short period of time.
    The material components of this spell are a pint of the caster's blood and
a figurine/statuete of the race to be targeted.  The blood is consumed at the
time of the casting, and the figurine is also destroyed, unless the caster 
makes a successful save vs. spell.

Mezzalldam's Choking Fist (Evocation)
-------------------------------------
Range:           3 yards/level 
Components:      V,S,M 
Duration:        1 round/level 
Casting Time:    9 
Area of Effect:  Special 
Saving Throw:    None 

    This spell creates a disembodied hand similar to those of _Bigby's Hand_
spells, except it is much smaller (about the size of an ogre's hand).  It will
attack as directed by the caster (no concentration is required to do so - the
wizard simply chooses the target).  The hand does not automatically hit, but
will attack using the caster's THAC0, with a +2 "to hit" bonus.
    If a hit is scored, the fist closes tightly around the victim's throat; it
will continue squeezing until the target is dead, or until the hold is broken.
Once per round, the fist's lock may be broken by making a successful bend bars
roll (the victim has a 10% penalty applied to this roll); only one person may 
do this each round, due to the small size of the hand.  Other party members who 
try to free the victim must devote their entire attention to this for the round
(i.e. no other action may be taken, DEX bonuses to AC are lost, etc.).
    Each round the victim is choked, a system shock roll must be made; each
additional round (past 1) of constriction inflicts a 5% penalty to this roll.  
If this roll fails, the victim fall unconscious and if the hold is not broken
the following round, the victim dies.  While a victim is being choked he/she
may perform no other actions (other than breaking the fist's hold) - all the 
target's efforts are required to fight the effects of the constriction.  The 
fist will continue attacking until it is destroyed/dispelled, or until the 
spells' duration expires; the caster can also end the spell with a single word.
    The fist may be destroyed by direct attack; it has an armor class of -2 and
as many hit points as the caster at full health.  The fist will also break its 
hold on a victim every time it loses half its remaining hit points.  Note 
however, that attacking the fist while it is choking a victim is dangerous; if 
an attack on the fist fails to hit, another normal attack must be immediately 
rolled against the victim, inflicting any damage normally.  If the fist's hold 
is released or broken, it may be attacked without fear of hitting companions.
If the fist is not choking a victim, it may be attacked by anyone who beats the
wizard's initiative roll (or by anyone, if the fist fails to score a hit that
round).
    The material components for this spell are a bit of bone and skin from any
constricting snake; these components are consumed when the spell is cast.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE:  The Forgotten Realms and the Forgotten Realms Sourcebook are registered
trademarks of TSR Inc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope ya like 'em.  Let's see some more!

Later,
       AJ Mikkola

--
===========================================================================
|| Excerpt from AD&D gaming session:                                     ||
|| DM (with wicked grin): You are attacked by <..> everyone roll a save! ||
|| ME:  I got a 23! Do you think I saved???                              ||
|| DM (with *really* wicked grin):  sure, but your +4 luckstone just     ||
||    burnt out!!                                                        ||
|| ME: @#%^&@#!!!!!!  (I learned to shut up after that one!!)            ||
||                                                                       ||
|| uucp:     {uunet!crdgw1|sun!sunbrew}!gemed!vulcan!allanm              ||
|| Internet: [email-masked]                                    ||
===========================================================================