Subject: New Spells
From: [email-masked] (Arrvid Carlson)
Date: 27 Feb 90 05:48:04 GMT

Branit's Backstabbing Surprise  (Conjuration)

Range: Touch
Components: V,S,M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1 Turn
Area of Effect: 8 foot diamater sphere
Save: None or 1/2

	This spell provides protection against backstabbing.  When the
recipient of the spell is backstabbed a cloud of acid is created behind
the caster which blows back 8 feet.  All within the area of effect, the
caster not included, take 6d4 + 6 points of acid damage.  Note the
backstabber gets no save (due to surprise and proximity), all others
recieve half damage upon successful save.  The spell is in efect until
dispelled or discharged.  This spell will work in combination with other
defensive spells.
	The material component is 100 red ants which must be rolled in
the casters hands, the husks then thrown over each shoulder of the
recipient, and the juice rubbed into the recipients back.

Improved Armour  (Conjuration)

Range: Touch
Components: V,S,M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 3 rounds
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None

	This spell is identical to the 1st level spell Armour although
it provides its wearer an armour class of AC 2.  The Armour lasts until
dispelled or until it has recieved 16 + 2 points per level of the caster
worth of damage.  Note: The armour does not absorb damage nor is it 
ordinarily visible.  It will work with a shield (fighter/mages only),
Dex bonuses, and other magical protection devices, like rings and cloaks
of protection, although it will not protect a creature wearing artificial
armour.  Artificial armour includes all manufactured armours, but does
not include skin or hides that are a natural part of the creature to
be protected.
	The material component is a small piece of finely cured blessed
leather which the caster must rub all over his body while casting.  Note:
the leather is reusable.

Sleep II  (Enchantment/Charm)

Range: 60 yards
Components: V,S,M
Duration: 5 rounds/level
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

	This spell is the same as the 1st level sleep except as noted.
All creatures to be effected by the sleep spell must be within 40 feet
of each other, (ie. a 40' radius sphere centered on a creature or object).
The number of creatures that can be effected is a function of Hit Dice
or Levels/ every 2 levels of the caster rounded up.  Example: A 5th
level wizard could affect 3d6 Hit Dice of monsters.  Monsters with 8 + 1
Hit Dice or more are uneffected.  The center of effect is determined by
the caster although the caster may not be in the area of effect upon
spell completion or risk its effects.  The creatures with the least
Hit Dice are affected first, and partial effects are ignored.
	The material components for this spell is a pinch of fine sand
and rose pedals, or a live cricket.

=========================================================================
	The above are some spells a newly advanced 5th level mage I'm
playing in a post magic rich, very dangerous realm has just spent the
last 15 months researching with the aid of an old elven text on how to
research spells just finished researching.  They are ready to turn
in to the DM but I wanted a critique from the net to see if they have
any obvious flaws, before I do turn them in.  In case your wondering
'Branit's Backstabbing Surprise' is a response to being eliminated early
in many fights by invisible thiefs doing what they do best.  It won't
prevent the backstab but it will make the thief more weary of trying
such a manuever again, and if I'm lucky it might even take the thief out.
And before people start screaming about no saves this is the same effect
reading an explosive rune has except for the type of damage of course.

Responces welcome mailed or via the net.  Although I request all input
be posted by Friday afternoon, as this is when I turn in the spells to
the DM for final approval. Yes, March 2nd the day before spring break
starts.

						Thanx in Advance
						The Arrvid
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// The future of the World depends on the creativity of todays people.       //
// [email-masked]                 The Sword of Ragnorok              //
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////