Subject: Spells
From: [email-masked] (Aaron Sher)
Date: 22 Apr 90 03:57:13 GMT

I'd mail this to whoever it was collecting spells, but I don't have your
address.  So, here are a few of my own:

Veschiul's Shadowcurse

Level: 2
Duration: Special
Area of Effect: See below
Range: 3"
Casting Time: 3
Components: V, S, M
Save: Negates

   The Shadowcurse can affect any creature of the world of light.  The area
of effect is 1 creature for every two levels of the mage above 1st; i.e. a
3rd level mage can affect 1 creature, a 5th can affect 2, and so on.  The
effect of the Shadowcurse is to afflict the victims with some of the 
vulnerabilities of a shade.  The effects depend on the light conditions, as
shown on the following table:

   Light        Abilities        Move         Max HP
 ---------------------------------------------------------
   Bright          -2             1/2           1/2
   Average         -1             3/4           3/4
   Twilight         -              -             -
   Shadowy          -              -             - 
   Night            -              -             -
   Darkness        -1             3/4           3/4

See the description of Shade in the MMII for exact descriptions of these
light conditions.  The material component is a piece of pitch.

Veschiul's Shadowbolt

Level: 2
Duration: Instantaneous
Range: 12"
Area of Effect: Special
Casting Time: 2
Components: V, S
Save: None

   The spell Shadowbolt allows the mage to mold a bolt of shadowstuff from
the Plane of Shadow, and fire it up to 120' range.  A to hit roll is required,
but is made as a fighter at a level of 1.5 times the mage's level, rounded up.
The Shadowbolt does damage by impace:  at ranges under 40', the damage is
1d4 perlevel, at ranges between 40' and 80' the damage is 1d4 per 2 levels,
and at greater ranges the damage is 1d4 per 4 levels.  The number of dice
should be rounded down in all cases (thus, a 5th level mage at 50' does 2d4
damage, but a 6th level mage does 3d4).  The creature must make a DEX check
to remain standing, adjusted by a -1 for every two levels of the mage (again,
rounded down), as well as by mass:

       Mass(lbs)      DEX adjustment     Distance
      ----------------------------------------------
         < 30              -8              25'
         < 60              -6              20'
         < 90              -4              15'
         < 120             -3              10'
         < 150             -2               5'
         < 180             -1               -
         < 210              0               -
         < 240             +1               -
         < 270             +2               -
         < 300             +3               -
         300 >             +4               -

The distance column indicates how far the target has been knocked away from
the mage if the modified DEX check was failed.

Rathe's Trigger

Level: 3
Duration: Special
Area of Effect: up to 1 foot cube per level
Casting Time: 1 turn
Components: V, S, M
Save: None, but see below

   The Trigger spell is designed as a defensive spell.  When it is cast, the
caster defines a volume which must be at least 1/2 foot in every dimension.
This area begins to glow faintly.  The caster then casts another spell 
directly upon the Trigger's area.  The Trigger's area of effect must be
touched by the caster when applying the second spell.  The glow then 
vanishes, but both spells remain.  The second spell is held by the Trigger
until someone enters or touches the Trigger's area of effect.  At this time
the second spell will go off.  If it is an area effect spell (e.g. fireball,
web) it will be centered on the center of the Trigger area.  Other
considerations (the dimensions of the web, for instance) must be specified
at the time of casting the second spell.  Person-affecting spells (e.g. hold
person, charm person) will be applied to the person who triggered the spell.
A saving throw is applicable only if allowed by the second spell.
If the caster is in or touching the Trigger's area of effect, it will not
go off.  This allows the caster to escort others safely through the trapped
area.  One possible use for this spell is two triggers overlaid in a corridor,
one with a fireball, and the other, placed slightly behind the first, with a
wall of force.  If a person enters the regions from the wrong direction, the 
fireball will go off, and the wall of force will instantly restrict the blast
to one direction.  If a person enters the regions from the other direction,
the wall will trigger first and shield him from the blast.  The spells will
last until triggered, but if the second spell is not applied immediately, the
trigger will only last one turn per level of the caster.  The material
component is a black pearl of not less than 500 gp value per level of the
second spell.

Rathe's Contingency Trigger

Level: 5
All else is as the 3rd level Trigger spell

The Contigency Trigger functions identically to the 3rd level Trigger spell,
with one exception:  a condition may be applied to the triggering of the
spell (for instance, "trigger only if a man wearing green enters the area",
or "trigger if anything made of gold enters the area").  Note however that
the spell's "perception" is restricted to the area of effect.  The spell
cannot perceive intangibles such as class, level, or alignment.  The material
component is as a Trigger spell, but must be worth twice as much.

Rathe's Mage Lock

Level: 4
Duration: Permanent
Area of Effect: 1 portal
Range: Touch
Casting Time: 1 round
Components: V, S, M
Save: None

The Mage Lock spell is an advanced form of the Wizard Lock spell.  There are
two main changes from the latter.  First, while the spell is in effect, the
portal cannot be damaged or destroyed by any physical (not magical) means 
short of an elemental.  Note, however, that magical means of destroying the
door (e.g. fireball, disintegrate, etc) still work as normal, and if the door
is destroyed, the spell is broken.  If the spell is dispelled or negated by
any means whatsoever (even temporarily), the portal will crumble into dust.
Second, the spell has another application; it can be placed upon an object.
The effect of this is to allow anyone wearing or carrying the object to open
any Mage Locks by the same caster.  For example, if one of Rathe's Mage
Locked armbands was worn, the wearer could open any door Mage Locked by 
Rathe (but not by any other mage).  The material component is half a pound
of iron filings for the first application and 100 gp worth of diamond dust
for the second.

Lorth's Sending

Level: 8
Duration: See below
Range: Touch
Area of Effect: 1 creature per 2 levels
Casting Time: 8
Components: V, S
Save: Negates

The Sending spell was created by Lorth the Traveller as a more versatile
form of the Teleport spell.  When the spell is cast, 1 creature for every
two levels of the mage (rounded down) is Sent to a place defined by the 
caster as for a Teleport spell (the caster must have a mental image of the
place).  The creatures must be touching the mage, but "chains" are possible.
The mage does not have to accompany them, but he may if he so desires.  
There is no chance of error for this spell.  If any of the creatures "sent"
is harmed within 5 minutes of arrival, all of them will be bounced back to
the place from which they were Sent (whether they want to go or not).  Any
damage incurred during those five minutes, to themselves or their equipment,
is erased.  Note that this does not allow the spell to be used as a quick
and easy messenger spell; anything dropped during the five minute grace
period is returned with its owner.  This can be used as a fail-safe teleport.
After the five minute period elapses, the spell expires and the "protected"
individuals are on their own.  The Sending will not work across planar 
boundaries.  Unwilling creatures receive a saving throw vs magic to resist
this spell.

Lorth's Stasis

Level: 6
Duration: 1 turn per level
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Range: Touch
Casting Time: 5
Components: V, S
Save: Negates

   This spell was designed as either a sort of temporal stasis effect, or
as a way of removing enemies without killing them.  The creature touched
is placed into its own extra-dimensional space, where no time passes.  After
one turn for each level of the caster has elapsed, the creature will be
returned to the Prime Material plane in exactly the same state it was when
the spell is cast (including location).  If an object has been placed in
the location from which the creature was sent, the subject will be displaced
the shortest possible distance in any direction consonant with emerging in
open space.  For instance, if the tunnel has collapsed since the spell was
cast, the creature might be displaced a few tens of yards up to the surface
of the earth, if this is the shortest displacement that will allow the 
creature to be placed in an open area.  However, if there should happen to
be a cavity in the debris blocking the tunnel, the subject would most 
likely be deposited there.

Lorth's Translocation

Level: 9
Duration: Instantaneous
Area of Effect: Caster
Range: 0
Casting Time: 1 round
Components: V, S
Save: None

   Lorth's Translocation is a the most advanced teleport-class spell ever
devised.  Given a description of any sort, the caster is able to place 
himself at the specific location.  The description might be a detailed
mental image, a verbal description, a painting, "Thirty feet due east",
"The center of the room in which stands the Sceptre of AshkaMankh", or 
anything else sufficiently precise.  If there does not exist a location
such as the one described, nothing will happen.  If the description is 
insufficiently precise ("A field of grass", "The center of a forest"), the
spell will have no effect.  If the location does exist, then the caster 
will be placed there, no matter where it is.  This spell can transport
the caster to any plane, any distance.  Note however that it is very, VERY
difficult to describe a specific place in planes such as the Astral or the
Ethereal, due to the lack of good landmarks.  Of course, if there should
happen to be a solid object in the place described, the caster is slain
instantly.

             Phrixus, Lvl 1, Room 15, S3