Subject: New Spells
From: [email-masked] (Benjamin C Ford)
Date: 19 May 1994 02:07:51 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

Here are a few spells that I have come up with.  Enjoy.

Shrapnel Shot (Alteration, Evocation)
Level: 1
Components: V,S,M
Range: 120 yards + 10 yards/level
Casting Time: 1
Duration: Instantaneous
Save: 1/2
Area of Effect: 1 Creature

	This spell fires a burst of shrapnel at the target.  The
shrapnel fires in a straight line towards the target.  Any
interviening creatures must save vs dragon breath or become the
spell's new target.
	The target is hit by 1d8 pieces of shrapnel, plus one piece of
shrapnel per level of the caster.  Each piece causes 1 hp of damage
and counts as a separate attack (great for reducing spells such as
stoneskin).  A save vs spells reduces the numbers hits hits by half.
The maximum number of hits is 1d8+8 at 8th level.  The hits from the
rocks themselves cannot be counter by MR as they are natual rocks.
However, the enhancement that allows the rocks to damage magical
creatures can be affected by MR.
	The material component of this spell is a stone that weighs at
least one pound.

Constitution (Alteration)
Level: 2
Components: V,S,M
Range: Touch
Casting Time: 1 turn
Duration: 1 hour/level
Save: None
Area of Effect: Person touched

	Application of this spell increases the Constitution of the
character by a number of points.  Benefits of the Constitution spell
last for the duration of the magic.  The amount of added Constitution
depends upon the spell recipient's group and is subject to all
restrictions on Constitution doe to race and class.  Multi-class
characters use the best die.
		Class			Constitution Gain
		Priest			1d6 points
		Rogue			1d4 points
		Warrior			1d8 points
		Wizard			1d6 points
	The spell cannot confer a Constitution of 19 or more, nor is
it cumulative with other magic that adds to Constitution.  All hit
points gained are 'phantom' hit points that disappear when the spell
ends.  Damage is taken from the 'phantom' hit points first and the
damage is not taken to the normal hp total when the spell ends.
Beings without Constitution scores gain one 'phantom' hit point for
each hit dice.
	The material component of this spell is a few hairs, or a
pinch of dung, from an animal known for its stanima.

Dexterity (Alteration)
Level: 2
Components: V,S,M
Range: Touch
Casting Time: 1 turn
Duration: 1 hour/level
Save: None
Area of Effect: Person touched

	Application of this spell increases the Dexterity of the
character by a number of points.  Benefits of the Dexterity spell last
for the duration of the magic.  The amount of added Dexterity depends
upon the spell recipient's group and is subject to all restrictions on
Dexterity due to race and class.  Multi-class characters use the best
die.
		Class			Dexterity Gain
		Priest			1d4 points
		Rogue			1d8 points
		Warrior			1d6 points
		Wizard			1d6 points
	The spell cannot confer a Dexterity of 19 or more, nor is it
cumulative with other magic that adds to Dexterity.  Beings without
Dexterity scores recieve a +1 bonus to AC and missile attack rolls.
	The material of this spell is a few hairs, or a pinch of dung,
from a particularly agile or quick animal.

Lightning Blast (Evocation)
Level: 2
Components: V,S,M
Range: 60 yards + 10 yards/level
Casting Time: 2
Duration: Instantaneous
Save: 1/2
Area of Effect: Special

	When the wizard casts this spell, he developes a powerful
electric charge that he blasts to any target or point within range.
It deals 1d8 points of damage, plus 1d8 for every 2 levels of the
wizard beyond first until a maxium of 5d8 at 9th level.  The material
components are a bit of fur and a piece of glass.

Minor Spell Invulnerability (Abjuration)
Level: 2
Components: V,S,M
Range: 0
Casting Time: 3
Duration: 2 rounds/level
Saving Throws: None
Area of Effect: Special

	This spell creates either an immobile, faintly shimmering
magical sphere around the caster that prevents any 1st-level spell
effects from penetrating or a mobile, faintly shimmering field around
the caster that prevents any first and 50% of 2nd-level spell effects
from penetrating.  This includes innate abilities and effects from
devices.  However, any type of spell can be cast out of the magical
sphere or field, and these pass from the caster to the subject without
affect the globe or field.  The caster can enter and leave the globe
version without penality.  Note that spell effects are not disrupted
by the globe or field unless cast directly into it.  Area of effect
spells, however, will be disrupted for within the globe or field only
as long as the target for the spell is outside the globe or field.
	The material component of the spell is a glass or crystal bead
that shatters at the expiration of the spell.

--
**********************************
* Ben Ford * [email-masked] *
**********************************

From: [email-masked] (Benjamin C Ford)
Date: 17 Jun 1994 01:01:25 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: New Spell: Magic Mote

Magic Mote (Evocation)
Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: the caster
Saving Throw: None

	Casting Magic Motes creates a number of motes of light around
the caster.  One mote is created at first level with one additional
mote being created for every two levels of the caster beyond first to
a maximum of five (as per Magic Missile).  Each mote  moves to
intercept physical attacks or magical attacks that have some
physical/magical form.  The motes reduce the damage from such attacks
by 1d4+1 points.  Each attack causes one mote to disappear, except for
area-effect spells, which cause all the remaining motes to wink out of
existance.  If not used within one turn per level of the caster, any
remaining motes wink out.