Subject: Re: Necromancers, a screwed specialist?
From: [email-masked] (christopher r invidiata)

These are two spells written by my current DM, John Kirk.  They are
simple, but as my charcter discovered upon being attacked with them, effective.

Necromantic Bolt (Necromancy) level:  3
    Range:  60 yards + 10 per level
    Components:  V,S
    Duration:  Instantaeneous
    Casting Time:  1
    Area of Effect:  1 creature
    Saving throw:  Neg.
     When the caster completes this spell, a blue glow encompasses his hand and
then shoots forth, enerringly striking its target.  This energy attacks the
life force of any living creature.  The creature must roll a succesful save vs.
spell or suffer 1d4 points of damage per level of the caster and 1 point of
strength per level of the caster.  If the save is successful, the creature
remains unharmed.  Creatures not rated for strength suffer a -1 penalty to
their attack rolls for every two caster levels.  Lost strength returns at a
rate of 1 point per hour.  Damage must be cured magically or healed naturally
over time.
     This spell has a special effect on undead creatures.  Undead struck by the
bolt suffer no damage or strength loss, but they must successfully save vs.
spell or flee for 1d4 rounds +2 rounds per level of the caster.

Independant Spectral Hand (Necromancy) level:  4
    Range:  30 yards + 5 yards per level
    Components:  V,S,M
    Duration:  2 rounds per level
    Casting Time:  2
    Area of Effect: 1 opponent
    Saving Throw:  None
     This spell causes a ghostly, glowing hand, shaped from the caster's life
force, to materialize within the spell range and move as the caster desires. 
Any touch attack spell of 6th level or less that is subsequently cast by the
wizard can be delivered by the spectral hand The spell attacks as the caster at
a +2 bonus to hit.  The caster may perform other actions.  The hand is AC: -3
and may be hit by magic only.  Any damage dispels it and does 1d6 points to the
caster.