Subject: Re: Call for Spells (Great Net Spellbook).
From: Coyt D Watters <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 93 10:04:11 EST

> Great Net Prayerbook. Therefore, I would like to ask anyone whose
> character (either a mage or a priest) has devised some new spell, to
> send it to me. Any spell that reaches me before Friday next week

Alkira's Fanfare (Illusion/Phantasm)
       Level: 2
      School: Illusion/Phantasm
       Range: Touch (1 target)
  Components: VSM
    Duration: 6 hours/level
Casting Time: Special
         AOE: Hearing Range
Saving Throw: Special

When cast upon the target, the spell seems to have no immediate effect.  When
a simple condition is met (no ands/ors), a fanfare of not more than 40 beats
is suddenly heard around the target.  This fanfare can be as simple as a 
single trumpet blast, or as complex as an orchestral arrangement, depending
on the components.  The spell then "resets," and the next time the condition
is met the music will play, resetting to the duration of the spell.

The condition must be a simple one, and when the condition is met, the 
fanfare plays.  The condition must be a simple "true/false" condition, 
and must deal with the target, such as:

Pass through door		Falls down
Draws weapon

Subjective conditions, such as "when a good blow has been given," won't work,
because the spell can not determine the relative value.

This spell may be layered, but the conditions must all be different, reusing
a condition dispells the previous casting.  Other magic may not be used
as a trigger, so this spell can not be triggered directly by a spell.
(i.e. Hit with fireball won't work, but "catches fire" will)

The material components are a cylinder made of wax, a needle, and a copy
of the music, in the caster's race's standard musical notation.  All are 
destroyed in the casting.  The copy of the music is the key to the complexity
of the fanfare, up to 100 instruments may play at once, but the caster 
must use a separate sheet for each instrument.  The caster states which
instrument plays each part as the spell is cast.

If the sheet music is not available, the caster may hum or whistle the fanfare
when casting, but the fanfare is then limited to one instrument, which 
replays the caster's notes.

The more complex the fanfare, the longer that casting time.  The base time
is 2, plus 1 for each instrument which will sound.  Thus, a single instrument
will take 3 segments, while a full 100 piece arrangement will take 102.

If the target is unwilling, then they may attempt a savings throw.  If the 
throw is successful, the fanfare sounds once around the mage, and the magic
dissipates.  Once cast, the sound will definitely be heard by those within
hearing range.

From: Coyt D Watters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 92 13:25:08 -0500
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Net Spellbook: LAST CALL for new spells

A spell for ADND

Power Word - AWAKEN
    School: Enchantment/Charm
     Level: 2
     Range: Centered on caster
        AE: Special    
      COMP: V
        CT: 1
  Duration: Special
        ST: Special

This spell was designed as a counter-spell to the first level _Sleep_ spell.
A DM for whom I played ruled that the _Sleep_ spell's targets had to be 
kicked or somehow given at least a point of damage to waken from the slumber.

The caster must pick a living animal target within the area of effect 
(see below) for the spell.  When the power word is spoken, that target will 
be subject to the effects of the power word as listed below.  
In addition, 2 x caster's level of hit dice of creatures within
caster's level X 5' + 1d3 radius, centered on the caster, will also be 
affected, starting with the closest creature.  These creatures may be either 
asleep or awake, the spell's effects are not limited to sleeping creatures.

Spell Effects:

The spell causes an effect like a sudden rush of adrenaline to the creature.

If the creature is asleep, either magically or normally, the power word will
wake them from their slumber.  The sleeping creature will be up and ready for
action 1/2 round later.  There is no save, and the creature(s) will awaken even
if they wish to remain asleep.  Note that this completely ruins a mage's or
cleric's resting, and they must begin again.  They have normal "to hit"
and armor class.  Sleeping creatures have no indication of why they wake up,
their unconcious mind receives the word and wakes them.

If the creature is awake, it automatically gains initiative for the round, plus
a gain of +1 to hit and one armor class better for that round.  Any creature
performing an action which requires extreme concentration (casting a spell,
scaling a wall, picking a lock, etc.) must SAVE vs. Spell or automatically 
fail the action.  Likewise, affected creatures attempting missile fire must 
save vs. spell, failure indicates the shot will miss, success means the player
must roll with -1 "to hit".  The awake creatures will know the general location
of the spellcaster (ie they heard the power word conciously.)

This spell is not effective within magical Silence, nor will _Vocalize_ make
the spell castable.  Since this spell does not cause damage, it will not 
disrupt an _INVISIBILITY_ spell.

[Just a little spell]

-Coyt