Subject: Priest Spells, Sphere of Vengeance.
From: [email-masked] (Dan Alexander Thompson)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1992

Battle Cry (1st)
Spirit Tracker (2nd)
Strength of the Avenger (2nd)
Revisitation (3rd)
True Speak (3rd)
Offensive Summoning (4th)
Divine Attributes of the Avenger (5th)
Oathbreaker (5th)
Vindicator's Quest (5th)
Hammer of Retribution (6th)
Death Wail (7th)
Final Strike (7th)
Black Storm of Vengeance (7th)
Visage of the Avenger (7th)

Battle Cry (Enchantment/Charm) Level: 1

Sphere: Combat, Vengeance
Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: 6 rounds
Casting Time: 2
Area of Effect: 60 yards + 10 yards per level
Saving Throw: None

At the culmination of this spell, the caster utters a deafening cry or
shriek drawing the attentions of all hostile creatures within the area
of effect. 1d6 hit dice of these creatures per level of the caster are
stunned for 1d3 rounds; this effects creatures with the lowest hit dice
first. All effected creatures will thereafter attempt to physically
attack the caster, foregoing any other actions. The desire to hunt down
the caster will remain for 6 rounds or until the caster is slain.

At the same time, all friendly creatures within the range of the spell
receive the benefit of a bless spell (+1 to attack rolls and saving
throws). Friendly creatures also receive a +1 to their morale checks as
long as the caster remains alive.

Undead or creatures with intelligence less than 5 are not affected by
this spell.

Spirit Tracker (Conjuration/Summoning) Level: 2

Sphere: Astral, Divination, Vengeance
Range: Caster
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 day per level
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

The spell operates by creating an ethereal presence capable of tracking
an enemy with complete certainty. This spirit tracker is magically
linked to its creator in such a way that the caster becomes aware of
the direction to an enemy as soon it is located by the tracker. The
tracker can find a creature in the same plane as the caster in 2d12
turns, and can find an enemy anywhere in 2d12 hours.

The enemy must have in some way, mentally or physically brought harm on
the caster or someone known to the caster. At the 5th level, the caster
learns the exact location as well as the direction to the hunted
creature. And at the 9th level the caster can actually see out of the
eyes of the spirit tracker.

During the operation of this spell, the tracked creature continually
has the feeling that he is being watched. If the hunted creature is
sensitive to etheric vibrations (high level magic users, certain
creatures of the outer planes, etc.) then the spirit tracker itself may
(5% chance) be seen. The 3rd level wizard spell Detect Scrying will
reveal the location of the tracker, and a Dispel Magic cast upon the
tracker will destroy it. If the tracker is dispelled, the casting
priest must make a saving throw versus paralyzation or sustain 1d6
points in damage and will have a tremendous headache for 3d6 hours
preventing the use of another spiritual tracker during that time and
placing the priest at -1 to hit.

Strength of the Avenger (Conjuration/Summoning) Level: 2

Sphere: Vengeance
Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

At the end of this powerful prayer, the priest's body convulses as if
struck by lightning, and glows with divine radiance. Thereafter the
priests' strength ability score is raised by 1d4 points plus 1 point
for every two levels of the caster (fractions rounded down) to a
maximum of the strength of the deity, and is given full attack and
damage bonuses commensurate with the new strength. The priest retains
the augmented strength for 1 round per level.

Use of this spell draws the attention of the deity, and the spell only
succeeds if the deity is pleased with the usage (i.e. the priest is
seeking to avenge some wrong done to him or his companions, the priest
is a battle against dire odds, the priest is fighting an enemy of the
opposite alignment of his deity, etc.) If the deity is especially
pleased with the priest (5% chance), the strength bonus may be extended
for the entire length of the quest the priest is on.

When the spell ends, the supernatural energy abruptly leaves the
priest's body, again causing convulsions in the priest which stun him
for 1 round. The priest must then make a constitution check, or fall
comatose for 1d3 turns, during which time he can do nothing but rest.

The material component of this spell is a vial of holy water which must
be swallowed during the casting and the priest's holy symbol.

Revisitation (Invocation/Evocation) Level: 3

Sphere: Vengeance, Law
Range: 120 yards + 10 yards per level
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: One creature
Saving Throw: Special

This spell is a magical implementation of the divine edict, "An eye for
an eye." A single Revisitation spell can reproduce all or part of the
damage that the caster has ever suffered at the hands of the target
(caster's option), but any single injury may be revisited only once.
The priest must name aloud all injuries he wants revisited on the
target. Only those injuries suffered by the caster which went
unredressed are eligible for Revisitation.

If, for example, a bandit's surprise sword attack has blinded the
priest, then the effect of Revisitation will be to blind the bandit. If
a dragon swoops down from the sky, breaths fire on a priest for 20
points of damage, and turns to fly away, then a Revisitation spell
would produce 20 points of damage on the dragon. However, if the same
dragon was on the ground and breathed fire on the priest, and if the
priest responded with a spiritual hammer attack, doing the dragon 4
points of damage, then the breath weapon attack would be ineligible for
Revisitation purposes.

If a Revisitation spell is used to revisit an injury which would be
fatal to the target, then the target is allowed a saving throw versus
death magic. Creatures making this saving throw take half damage and
fall unconscious for 1d6 rounds.

The Revisitation spell can be used as a cooperative magic spell. When
two or more priests are available, the spell can be used to redress
injuries received by third parties. One priest casts a Zone of Truth or
True Speak spell and the other casts the Revisitation spell. At the
crucial moment, the injured third party, under the effect of a truth
spell, names the grievances to be redressed. The priest casting the
Revisitation spell then repeats the list of injuries and the
Revisitation spell is completed.

The material component is the priests holy symbol, and a balance, or
part of a broken weapon.

True Speak (Enchantment/Charm) Level: 3

Sphere: Charm, Vengeance, Law
Range: 30 yards
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 round per level
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect:
Saving Throw: Negates force.

This spell is similar to the 2nd level Zone of Truth spell, however,
True Speak is much more powerful. True Speak is used to force creatures
to answer questions truthfully. To complete the spell, the priest
presents his holy symbol in a forceful manner and demands the answers
to various questions. The priest then touches the creature he wishes to
question with his holy symbol. Ensorcelled creatures are then compelled
to answer the questions truthfully and to the best of their ability.
Although information need not be volunteered, nothing relevant may be
omitted in answering a direct question.

Characters of greater hit dice or levels than the priest are allowed a
saving throw versus spell. Creatures making the saving throw are not
forced to answer questions, however, everything they do say must be the
truth. In this instance, True Speak functions exactly like the Zone of
Truth spell, and affected creatures are allowed to evade questions,
answer indirectly, and refuse to answer so long as everything they do
say is completely true.

In many areas, admissions made under the True Speak spell are
admissible in courts of law.

Offensive Summoning (Conjuration/Summoning) Level: 4

Sphere: Summoning, Vengeance
Range: 40 yards
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: One creature
Saving Throw: Special

The offensive summoning spell is a very specific type of summoning. The
only eligible targets are those which have done the priest an
unredressed wrong. The priest concentrates upon the target, the injury,
or the target's name, and speaks the desired range. The target is then
brought to within the 40 yards of the caster (caster's option). The
first round after the Offensive Summoning is complete, the target
appears and is quite surprised.

If the target has more hit dice or levels than the casting priest, the
target is given a saving throw versus spell. If the saving throw is
made, then the priest and anyone touching the priest is transported to
the location of the target.

In order for this spell to work, the caster and target must be on the
same plane. No creature of demigod or greater status is ever summoned
in this fashion.

Divine Attributes of the Avenger (Conjuration/Summoning) Level: 5

Sphere: Vengeance
Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

The priest begins this spell by describing in full the quest he is on.
Naming the conclusion he desires, and imploring his deity to take
notice of the urgent nature of the mission. When this description is
completed, if the priest is successful is persuading his deity, the
caster's body is surrounded by a majestic glow which grows in
brilliance until the caster radiates the same illumination as the
midday sun. This illumination lasts for 1 round during which the
caster's body undergoes a miraculous transformation. After the light
fades, the caster emerges with grey hair and a look of awe on his face.
The awe fades in 1 round and the caster's mood is serene. Thereafter
all of the caster's ability scores are raised to 19, and the
appropriate bonuses as described in the Player's Handbook are applied.
Note that the priest does not gain any divine abilities with this
spell.

Use of this spell draws the attention of the deity, and the spell only
succeeds if the deity is pleased with the usage (i.e. the priest is on
a quest of overwhelming danger and is seeking vengeance for a terrible
wrong, the priest is fighting in the name of the God against a special
enemy of the deity, etc.) If the deity is pleased with the priest, then
the bonuses are applied to the priest for the entire length of the
quest the priest is on.

When the quest ends, the priest falls to his knees, announces to his
deity that the quest is over, and falls comatose for 1d4 turns.

The material component of this spell is a vial of holy water which must
be swallowed during the casting and the priest's holy symbol.

Oathbreaker (Conjuration/Summoning) Level: 5

Sphere: Summoning, Vengeance
Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: One creature
Saving Throw: None

The Oathbreaker spell is a powerful method of obtaining vengeance for a
fallen comrade. The deceased person must have been known to the priest,
and must have been killed through the treachery of the intended target
of the spell. That is, the target must have violated an oath or
agreement with the deceased person (king to subject, guest to host,
etc.), or conspired to bring about the death of the deceased.

The Oathbreaker spell begins with the priest naming the deceased and
detailing the treachery which resulted in his death. Thereafter, two
huge columns appear in front of the priest. Between the columns appears
a great door. The priest then knocks three times on the door, names the
deceased, and pulls the doors open. The deceased person then steps
through the door as a special undead creature.

The deceased comes back in a near corporeal form which mimics his form
in life. The spirit has the same hit points as it did in life, and
appear as it did in life. Although the spirit appears unarmored, is
affected only by magical weapons of +2 or better enchantment. The
spirit has 50% magical resistance, and is unaffected by sleep, charm,
and other forms of mental control. It can attack adversaries as a
Spectre, and can cast the Revisitation spell anytime it comes within
range of the person responsible for its death. In any case, the
spirit's only purpose is to seek out and destroy the person responsible
for its death; the spirit will exist only as long as the target remains
alive.

If the spirit is slain with magical weapons, or is dispelled (for which
it gets a saving throw versus spell as it would have in life) it can
never be raised from the dead again, except by a Wish.

Vindicator's Quest (Enchantment/Charm) Level: 5

Sphere: Charm, Vengeance
Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: Negates

The Vindicator's Quest spell is similar to the 5th level priest spell
Quest with the following differences: The Vindicator's Quest spell is
cast upon oneself. Following the casting, every person that the priest
comes in contact with is subject to the quest. The priest need only
explain the quest, argue for its moral correctness, and whoever listens
to the story must save versus spell or be drawn into the quest.
Creatures of the priest's religion are not allowed a saving throw, and
creatures of the priest's alignment save at -4. The spell has no effect
on creatures whose alignment differs with that of the priest with
respect to Good and Evil.

All creatures subject to the quest spell are unable to do anything but
follow the leader of the quest. Failure to follow the priest will
result in a -1 penalty applied to saving throws for each day that the
quest is ignored. The priest casting the spell himself can never ignore
the quest, and is single- mindedly devoted to its completion. A higher
level priest of the caster's religion can remove the quest, as can some
artifacts and relics.

Vindicator's Quest also has the requirement that the nature of the
quest be one of vengeance. The caster must be certain of the moral
correctness of the quest, and it must be looked on favorably by the
caster's deity.

The material component of this spell is the priest's holy symbol.

Hammer of Retribution (Invocation) Level: 6

Sphere: Vengeance, War
Range: 10 yards per level
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: 5' radius per level
Saving Throw: One-half damage

This powerful spell is invoked primarily against invading armies or in
siege warfare. The spell's primary effect is to destroy troops or
fortifications of creatures who have done unredressed damage to a
priest or his companions. The spell begins with the priest describing
the atrocities an army or band of marauders is guilty of. The priest
must have first-hand knowledge of these crimes, or must have heard
testimony from a witness under the effect of a Zone of Truth or True
Speak spell.

The spell strikes as a great column of force that descends from the
sky. The area of effect is a circle whose radius is 5 feet per level of
caster. All creatures within the area of effect take 1d6 points per
level of caster in damage. Creatures making a saving throw versus spell
take half damage. Small objects must save versus crushing blow or be
destroyed. Structures suffer damage as if hit by a heavy catapult
(2d12). Any creature unfortunate enough to be flying over the area of
effect takes 1d6 points in damage for every 10 feet above the ground
the creature was flying to a maximum of 10d6 plus the normal damage due
to the crushing blow of the spell.

When cast over water the spell raises a wave 10 feet high per level of
caster traveling 30 feet per minute in a circle that grows outward from
the area of effect. On land, the force of this spell often crushes
trees and rends the earth producing a great cloud of dirt and dust,
obscuring the area for 1d4+1 rounds.

The material component of this spell is the priest's holy symbol and a
war hammer which the priest throws into the air as the spell is cast.
The hammer is destroyed in the casting.

Death Wail (Necromancy) Level: 7

Sphere: Necromancy, Vengeance
Range: 0
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 9
Area of Effect: 30 foot radius sphere
Saving Throw: Negates

At the culmination of this dreadful spell, the caster utters a
deafening cry or shriek which is heard by one creature within area of
effect per level of the caster. Those hearing the spell must save
versus death magic or die instantly. Creatures who cannot hear (due to
ear plugs, deafness, etc.) can be targets, but are considered to
automatically make their saving throws.

This spell is most often cast over the body of a slain comrade in an
effort to slay those responsible for the death and in mourning for the
lost friend. Since the use of this spell attracts the attention of the
priest's deity, and because the deaths result from the deity sharing in
the grief of the priest, the spell works only if the priest is truly
mourning the lost friend, and only if the deity approves and joins the
priest. Those creatures most directly responsible for the death of the
comrade are slain first, thereafter, victims are chosen at random. The
priest is never the victim of his own Death Wail.

This spell need never be prayed for by the priest, however, seven spell
levels of available spells are drained from the caster's mind
(beginning with the highest level spells available). If the caster has
fewer than 7 spell levels remaining, he takes 1d6 in damage for every
spell level less than 7 currently memorized.

Final Strike (Invocation) Level: 7

Sphere: Vengeance
Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: Sphere, 5' radius per level
Saving Throw: One-half damage

Final Strike is the ultimate spell cast in a priest's career. The spell
is cast when the priest believes that he is facing imminent death. The
object of the spell is to allow the priest to terminate his life
quickly and to take his would be killer's to their graves as well. At
the culmination of the powerful spell, the priests body explodes with
the power of his deity doing 1d4 x 100 points of damage to all
creatures within the area of effect. A saving throw versus spell
results in half damage. Further, all creatures within twice the area of
effect are stunned for 3d6 rounds.

Structures within the area of effect take 10d6 in structural damage.
Smaller objects must save versus disintegration of be vaporized. All
plant life within the area is destroyed, and water or other liquids
within the area of effect are vaporized. Any creatures viewing the
explosion at up to 10 times the area of effect must save versus spell
or be permanently blinded. Those making their saving throws are blinded
for 2d8 days. The bodies of all those killed by the blast are
disintegrated, as are all their possessions (magical devices save
versus disintegration). The body of the priest and all his possessions
are disintegrated, and the spirit of the priest moves on to its final
reward. Neither Raise Dead, nor Resurrection, nor any magic short of a
Wish could ever bring the priest back to life.

The use of this spell calls the attention of the priest's deity. If the
deity considers the priest's actions with favor, there is a 5% chance
that the God will grant the priest maximum damage for a Final Strike.
Ever after, the ground in the area of effect is considered Sanctified.

This spell is the maker of legends. Its use is never trivial or without
purpose, and if fact, the spell will fail if the deity does not approve
of its use. But no deity ever considers the proper use of this spell
with anything but the utmost respect. Use of this spell in the service
of one's comrades is considered the highest form of valor, and use in
the service of one's deity is thought of as the highest form of worship
and devotion. Exceptional use of this spell has even raised priests to
demigod status.

Black Storm of Vengeance (Evocation) Level: 7

Sphere: Elemental, Vengeance, War, Weather
Range: 400 yards
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round per level
Casting Time: 1 round per level
Area of Effect: 120 yard radius circle
Saving Throw: Special

This powerful spell is invoked primarily against invading armies or in
siege warfare. The spells primary effect is to destroy or prevent the
passage of troops who have attacked the priest or his comrades. This
spell requires the priest to concentrate for the full duration of the
spell. The casting time and duration are simultaneous.

In the first round of casting, the priest summons an enormous black
storm cloud over the area of effect. Lightning and crashing claps of
thunder rock the area, and creatures within the area of effect must
save versus paralyzation of be deafened for 1d4 turns.

On the second round, the caster calls six lightning bolts down from the
cloud. Each is directed at a specific target, and each bolt does 8d8
points of damage (A successful saving throw indicates half damage).

On the third round, hail stones pound those in the area of effect for
3d10 points of damage (no saving throw).

On the fourth and fifth rounds tornadoes sweep through the area of
effect toppling 1 creature in 4, and doing 3d6 in damage to 1 creature
in 6.

On the sixth and seventh rounds, acid rains down on the area of effect
inflicting 1d4+1 points in damage. No saving throw is allowed.

On the eighth and subsequent rounds, violent rain and wind gusts reduce
visibility to five feet and movement is reduced 75%. Missile fire and
spell casting from within the area of effect are impossible.

The sequence of effects ceases immediately if the priest is disrupted
from spell casting at any time. The priest may opt to cancel the
effects at any time.

Divine Visage of the Avenger (Conjuration/Summoning) Level: 7

Sphere: Summoning, Vengeance
Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 hour
Casting Time: 3 turns
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

The priest begins this spell by describing in full the quest he is on.
Naming the conclusion he desires, and imploring his deity to take
notice of the urgent nature of the mission. When this description is
completed, if the priest is successful is persuading his deity, clouds
form over the caster and the caster's body is struck by a tremendous
lightning bolt. The lightning flashes for one full round during which
time the caster's body undergoes a glorious transformation. After the
flashing subsides, the caster emerges as a fully empowered avatar of
the his deity.

Use of this spell draws the attention of the deity, and the spell only
succeeds if the deity is pleased with the usage (i.e. the priest is on
an urgent quest in the service of the deity). When the priest casts
this spell, he gives over his will completely to that of his deity. The
priest can, for the most part make his own decisions, however, if the
priest ever varies from the alignment of the deity or ever acts out of
character for a divine being, the priest is instantly and irrevocably
struck dead, and the deity assumes control of the avatar. The deity
can, of course, at any time take over the body of the priest or avatar.

At the end of the one hour period, the deity can decide to keep the
priest in the form of the avatar for another hour, or can choose to end
the spell. The deity can even choose to keep the priest as the avatar
for life. In this case, the deity assumes control of the avatar and the
character of the casting priest is irrevocably gone.

If the deity chooses to release the priest, the avatar's body will glow
with a pure white radiance and vanish. The priest will then be
teleported to a location of the deity's choice, and will fall comatose
for 1d4 turns. Thereafter, the priest will be unable to cast spells
until the next day, and will be under the influence of a Quest spell
placed upon the priest by the deity. The Quest is the price of calling
on the deity for direct aid.

The material component of this spell is a sacrifice appropriate to the
deity as determined by the DM.