Subject: Some new spells
From: [email-masked] (Dean Dretske x6970)
Date: 17 Apr 90 22:41:13 GMT

Hello,
  Since I have been collecting spells off the net, I thought I would donate
a few of my own.

Dean
============================================================================
Dean Dretske    email: [email-masked]  or uunet!pilchuck!intermec!deand   
Intermec Corporation     PO Box 360602    Lynnwood, Wash. 98046-9702
============================================================================

Malta's Pattern Creation
  Level: 2      Casting Time: See Below     Duration: Permanent
  Component: V,S,M     Saving Throw: None
  Range: 0     Area of Effect: See Below
  Description:
  With this spell, the caster can create a pattern for use with the spell 
Malta's Pattern Transport.  The Pattern can be any image with any colors, but 
it must include a circle which forms the outer edge.  The Pattern can be any `
radius, but the cost of making the Pattern is dependent on the materials used - 
so bigger Patterns cost more.  The Pattern can be woven into cloth, painted 
onto cloth or a hard surface, or inlaid into a hard surface.  The Pattern must 
be at least 1 yard in diameter with no maximum size.  The cost to make a 
Pattern is equal to the square yards of the Pattern times the amount below:
     ___Material______   _Cost__     _Time__      _Save__
     Painted on Cloth:  5 Silver      1 hour        15
     Woven into Cloth:  1 Gold       10 hours       12
     Woven into Rug:    2 Gold       15 hours       10
     Painted on Wood:   1 Gold        3 hours       10
     Painted on Stone:  2 Gold        4 hours        8
     Inlaid in Wood:    3 Gold       12 hours        5
     Inlaid in Stone:   5 Gold       16 hours        2
Patterns cannot be repaired, they must be remade completely.  Patterns can be
moved (assuming the material can be moved as one unit) without damage.  The 
Save listed is the save the Pattern must make when used for transport (See 
Malta's Pattern Transport for details) - the material saves normally for any 
other damaging situation.  

Malta's Pattern Image
  Level: 2      Casting Time: 1 hour     Duration: See Below
  Component: V,S,M     Saving Throw: None
  Range: 0     Area of Effect: One Pattern
  Description:
  With this spell, the caster can imprint the size and image of an undamaged
Pattern.  This imprinted image can later be used by the caster to create a 
matching Pattern of his own.  The imprinted image can be recalled by the caster 
for upto 1 month per caster's level (at casting time).  If this time is 
exceeded, or the caster creates a matching Pattern (even if different size), 
then the imprinted image is dispelled.  This spell is necessary to create an 
exact size matching Pattern if the original Pattern is not present for the 
creation of the matching Pattern.  The caster can have upto one imprinted 
image/size per level at a time.

Malta's Pattern Transport
  Level: 3      Casting Time: 1 turn     Duration: Instantaneous
  Component: V,S,M     Saving Throw: None
  Range: 0     Area of Effect: See Below
  Description:
  With this spell, the caster can move himself and other materials from one 
Pattern to another Pattern.  The two Patterns must have the same image and the
destination Pattern must be at least as big in radius as the source Pattern.  
Both Patterns must be known to the caster (current locations) and they must be 
laid flat.  The destination Pattern must not be supporting any object (even 
partially).  The  destination Pattern must also be uncovered such that there 
is room for the incoming creatures/objects.
  If all of the above conditions exist, then casting the spell will transport 
the caster and any objects/creatures which are completely supported by the 
source Pattern to the destination Pattern.  All objects transported will end 
up on the destination Pattern at the same ratio of distance to the edge as on 
the source Pattern.  That is, if an object is halfway from the center to the 
edge on the source Pattern, then it will be halfway from the center to the edge
on the destination Pattern (regardless of the size of the destination Pattern).
An object is considered to be completely supported by the pattern when its 
weight is supported by the material inscribed in the outer circle of the 
Pattern or by something which is itself completely supported.  That means that 
a person held in the air by another will be transported only if the holder is 
completely supported.  Flying creatures must not be flying at the time of 
transport.
  To cast the spell, the caster must stand in the center of an undamaged Pattern
and cast the spell.  In the first round of the casting, the Pattern will begin
to glow (each color of the Pattern will emit its own color).  Over the next 
eight rounds, the Pattern brightness will increase to approximately the same as
outside on a sunny day.  As the last word of the spell is stated, the brightness
of the Pattern doubles and all completely supported objects/creatures are 
transported to the destination Pattern.  If the destination Pattern is not 
available (see above), then the transported objects/creatures are returned to 
the source Pattern after one second (and the source Pattern's save is at -4).
  The source Pattern is subjected to some heat and other energies in the course
of the transport.  These energies cause the source Pattern to make a save or 
be damaged (a single crack or burn mark will alter the Pattern and render it
unusable).  The destination Pattern is not subjected to the same amount of 
energy, so it does not need to make a saving throw.
  The lighting conditions at the destination Pattern do not change, so the 
transported creatures will have to adjust to the current lighting (1-2 rounds,
depending on lighting).
  Some notes: 
  1) Tossing a rug over an inlaid Pattern prevents incoming transports.
  2) Rolling up a rug/cloth Pattern prevents incoming and makes it easier
     to transport the Pattern.
  3) The only bi-directional Patterns are exactly the same size (hence the
     Pattern Image spell).
  4) The caster must remain in the middle for all of the casting, but creatures/
     objects also transported only have to be on the Pattern in the last segment.

Stren's Improved Floating Disk
  Level: 3      Casting Time: See Below     Duration: 3 turns/level
  Component: V,S,M     Saving Throw: None
  Range: 0     Area of Effect: See Below
  Description:
  This spell is an improved version of Tenser's Floating Disk.  The big 
improvement is the speed of the disk - now 30".  The disk can also move from 3'
to 30' off the ground/water.  The disk movement is based relative to the caster,
which prevents the caster from riding their own disk.  However, if two casters 
use this spell, they can ride each others to travel.  This travel can either be 
in the form of independent movement (tricky to communicate since somebody else 
is steering yours) or master-slave.  In the master-slave travel, one caster 
steers a disk while he rides on a disk which stays the same distance from its 
caster.

          S1----S2----M

Caster 1 is the master and riding in the back (caster 3's disk).  Caster 2 is
in the front riding on the master's disk - his own disk stays x feet behind him.
Caster 3 rides in the middle and his disk also stays x feet behind him.  Caster
1 steers the chain while the other two can sleep, eat, cast spells, etc.
  I have this written down at home, but I believe that all other parameters are
the same as Tenser's Floating Disk.

-- 
============================================================================
Dean Dretske    email: [email-masked]  or uunet!pilchuck!intermec!deand   
Intermec Corporation     PO Box 360602    Lynnwood, Wash. 98046-9702
============================================================================