Subject: Jamye's Spells (part I)
From: [email-masked] (D. J. McCarthy)
Date: 26 Oct 90 22:52:46 GMT

Jamye (in the game I'm in that I've referred to affectionately
as Not Empyrea before) is to spells as Jethro Tull is to music.  There
is a long and involved story about Jamye that I'm not going to go into
here; suffice to say that Jamye has grown beyond the one person who
bears the name.

	Most of Jamye's spells are gaudy, humorous, and are more of a
distractive nature than a destructive one.  Nevertheless, there are some
Jamye spells that do more than just make the victim laugh.  So here's
the first batch....
_____
DJM

---------------------%< cut here >%------------------------------

Jamye's Appearing Ink (Alteration)
Reversible

Level: 0
Range: Touch
Components: VM
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

This cantrip turns a small amount of ink (up to one pint) into water.
The ink remains clear and colorless until it dries, at which time it
reverts to its normal state.  The material component is the ink itself.

The reverse, Jamye's Disappearing Ink, turns up to a pint of water into
an inky liquid that evaporates like water, leaving no trace when it
dries.

-- -- -- -- --

Jamye's Prismatic Snowball (Conjuration, Alteration, Enchantment)

Level: 3
Range: 0
Components: VSM
Duration: 1 round + 1 round per 3 levels of the caster
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: 1 creature per snowball
Saving Throw: Special

When cast, this spell creates a pile of colored snowballs at the
caster's feet.  The number of snowballs is equal to the duration of the
spell in rounds - 2 at 5th level, 3 at 6th level, 4 at 9th level, etc.
The caster can throw one snowball per round as if he or she were
proficient in snowball throwing.  Other characters can also throw snow-
balls, but they will suffer a non-proficiency penalty for it (unless
they have taken a proficiency in snowballs).  The snowball has a range
of 30 yards, plus 10 yards per Strength point of the thrower over 12.

The snowballs do no physical damage when they hit; however, they have
powers that vary with the color of the snowball according to the chart
below.  In order for the snowball's magic to work, the target must be
hit with it (a successful "to hit" roll required).  The snowball's
power only affects the creature hit, even if the spell it duplicates
has a greater area of effect.  The snowballs are always picked up and
thrown in the order given, starting with red and ending (assuming the
spellcaster is high enough level) with violet.

Number	Color	Save vs.	Effect
------	------	------------	---------------------------------------
   1	Red	Spell		Charm Person
   2	Orange	Spell		Faerie Fire
   3	Yellow	Poison		Taunt *
   4	Green	Paralyzation	Spook
   5	Blue	Paralyzation	Glitterdust
   6	Indigo	Spell		Bind
   7	Violet	Wand		Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter

(*) If the yellow snowball hits on an unmodified die roll of 20, the
victim has been hit in the face and has eaten some of the snow.  It
must then make an additional save vs. poison at a -4 or be violently
ill (no attacks, armor class worsens by 4) for a number of hours equal
to the caster's level.

The material components for the spell are a small rainbow-colored
marble.

-- -- -- -- --

Jamye's Greased Pig (Conjuration, Alteration)

Level: 4
Range: 30 yards
Components: VSM
Duration: 4 rounds + 1 round per level
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: 1 creature + 1 creature per 4 levels of the caster
Saving Throw: Special

This spell is a more powerful version of the third-level Haste spell,
with the first-level Grease spell thrown in too.  The people that the
spell is cast upon suffer none of the side effects of the grease (i.e.
they don't drop their weapons, they don't slip, etc.) but those that
try to attack or grab them will.  It negates special attacks by crea-
tures that inflict damage automatically every round after a successful
hit (i.e. stirges or executioner's hoods) - the creature must roll to
hit every round due to the slipperiness of the target.  Otherwise, it
conforms to the normal Haste spell ( -2 on initiative, double movement
rate, double number of attacks per round, ages recipient 1 year).  It
is not cumulative with Haste or other Greased Pig spells.

The material components for this spell are a bit of butter and an anise
seed for each recipient.

-- -- -- -- --

Jamye's Headless Flying Roasted Pig (Summoning, Enchantment)

Level: 4
Range: 60 yards
Components: VSM
Duration: 1 round per level
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: Neg.

This spell summons a pre-prepared headless flying roasted pig. The pig
flies at a rate of 30, and is under the control of the caster (who must
give it his or her full attention).  The pig is magically funny; anyone
who looks at the pig (except the caster) must save vs. spell every
round that the pig is in his or her field of view or fall down laughing
until the pig leaves.  Laughing victims are at a -2 "to hit" until the
spell expires.

Victims with an Intelligence of 4 or less, and are meat-eaters, will be
attracted to the pig's delicious aroma and must save at a -6 or spend
the rest of the spell's duration trying to catch it.  If they are
vegetarians, they are unaffected.  Those with Intelligences of 5-9 save
vs. the laughter effect at a -4.  Those with Intelligences of 10-14
save at a -2.  Those with Intelligences of 15-19 save normally, and
those who are more intelligent than that are unaffected.

The pig cannot be caught or attacked; those attempting to do so
automatically succumb to the laughter.  The pig has no other attacks
besides its magical nature.  It can be Banished or Abjured; Dispel
Magic merely terminates the caster's control over it.  If the Dispel
Magic is successful, the pig will leave 50% of the time and stay 50% of
the time, the magical laughter effect will not be dispelled, and the
caster will become vulnerable to the laughter's effects.

The material components are a baked, spiced apple and a hummingbird
feather.  Additionally, a pig of no less than 50 pounds must be
beheaded, roasted and otherwise prepared ahead of time; this pig does
not have to be carried with the spellcaster but must not be eaten, as
it is consumed by the spell at the time of casting.

-- -- -- -- --

Jamye's Greased Lightning (Evocation)

Level: 5
Range: 40 yards + 10 yards per level
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: 1/2

This spell differs from the third-level Lightning Bolt spell in the
following ways:
	- The components and casting time are greatly reduced
	- Damage done is d4+2 per caster level instead of d6
	- Maximum damage is 15d4+30
	- The bolt is a vivid orange, with green "stripes"
	  running through it
It conforms to Lightning Bolt in all other respects.

-- -- -- -- --

Jamye's Flesh to Toast (Alteration)

Level: 7
Range: 10 yards
Components: VSM
Duration: Permanent
Casting Time: 7
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: Neg.

This spell turns the flesh of any creature affected into a golden-brown
piece of hot yummy toast.  Only the victim is affected; anything the
victim may be wearing (or non-organic items ingested) will not be
turned into toast.  The resultant toast is subject to any forces normal
toast is subject to (slicing, buttering, eating, whatever).  One cubic
foot of toast will satisfy the appetites of four humans, although they
may get tired of toast way before then.

The material components of this spell are a small pat of butter or
cream cheese, and 1 foot of steel wire.  The steel wire will not be
consumed in the casting.

NOTE that this spell is NOT reversible.  The effects can only be
countered with a Wish or Limited Wish spell.

-- -- -- -- --
_____
D. J. McCarthy                      And this is artificial moonlight...
[email-masked]
...!intelca!mipos3!swtec1!dmccart                      ...and artificial sky.