Subject: Two New Wild Magic spells
From: [email-masked] (Dave "Dragon" Michaels)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1993 08:55:44 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

Hello all you gamers.  Enclosed herein are two spells that a character of
mine (a multi-classed Priest of Istus, goddess of Fate / Wild Mage ... yes,
I know that's not supposed to be allowed, but the GM thought, as I did,
that it was a great combination! :) invented.

Any similarity to existing copywritten spells is entirely unintentional.

These spells are for public distribution and use.  The author is me,
David Michaels.  Copyright July, 1993.  Alterations of these spells are,
of course, permitted.  But please give credit to the original author, as
well as yourself (if you alter it, and repost).

This is a plain text version.  A postscript version of both spells is
available upon request (just send me email: [email-masked]).  There
is even an Interleaf version of these spells, and some others (which I will
post when they are completed -- there are higher level versions of the 3rd
level "Erelas's Curious Surge" spell that I'm working on).

==================================================

Erelas's Meaningless Scribble

Level:          1
Duration:   Permanent
Range:          1"
Area effect:    1 page / level
Components:   M, S
Casting time:     4 segments
Saving Throw:     None

        When this spell is cast on blank parchment, meanginless lettering
and punctuation appear on each page of the parchment at the rate of one
page per round.  The lettering may resemble (1) that of several random (or
chosen) languages (at least 3) which will resemble the handwriting of the
material source (see below under Material components), or (2) it may
resemble no language at all.

If the writing is viewed with true sight, glass of deciphering, or other
similar divination spells or spell effects, one of the following occurs:

        1) If the lettering was that of random languages (chosen or not),
			the viewer sees the lettering all as one language, but still
			meaningless.
        2) If the lettering is purely random, the viewer sees new, purely
			random lettering, which is still meaningless.

		If the spell is cast on parchment already containing writing, the
effect is neither permanent, nor defacing, but does produce the same
effects as above for 1 round per level.

Material components

        Enough ink wells to complete the job as if it was being performed
manually (i.e. - 1 well per 5 pages, or so -- DM's (or factual)
discretion), and a quill pen.  The ink is consumed as the letters appear
(thus if the spell is dispelled prior to completion, the remaining unused
ink is not consumed).  The effect of (1) requires a sample of the languages
to be used.  For best performance (?), the full alphabet of each language
should be scribed on a page of parchment (or several pages, depending on
how many languages you wish to use, and how big your writing style is).
Effect (1) shall produce handwriting matching the sample writing.  Effect
(2) produces completely alien writing.  Perhaps heiroglyphics, perhaps
pictographs resembling oriental characters, perhaps an actual character
from a real language -- or close to it, or perhaps a simple scribble.

==================================================

Erelas's Curious Surge

Level:          3
Duration:   1d4 rds + 1 rd/level
Range:          Caster
Area effect:    20' R sphere, +2'/level
Components:   V, M, S
Casting time:     5 segments
Saving Throw:     Special

[ Author's note:
		This spell can be very complicated in combat involving numerous
creatures within the area effect.  All sorts of simplifications may be
applied at the GM's discretion, but be consistent.  The example given
covers all basic possibilities.
]

        The casting of this spell causes an unusual wild-like surge in the
area.  Creatures within this area have their saving throws versus other
effects altered as per the table below (roll d20 once for each saving throw
to determine adjustment).  The creature may attempt a normal saving throw
vs. spells against this spell 50% of the time each round.  In other words,
there's a 50/50 chance the creature may attempt a saving throw (if so
desired -- this spell could benefit the creature) each round.  Magic
resistance, wild magic immunities/resistances, or other surge protections
(such as chaos shield) negate/resist the spell for that creature for the
duration of this spell (if necessary checks are successful).

        For example: If Erelas, the 10th level mage, casts this spell in
the heat of combat, every creature within a 40' radius sphere flips a coin.
If the coin lands heads, the creature may make a saving throw to negate the
effects of this spell for the first round.  Every round a creature is in
the area effect (including the caster), a coin is flipped for that creature
(if the creature so wishes -- if it opts not to make the saving throw, it
is automatically affected by this spell).  If the coin lands tails, the
creature is not entitled to a saving throw, and is affected by this spell
as per the table below.  If the coin is heads, the creature makes a saving
throw.  If the saving throw is failed, or if the creature declines the
right to a saving throw, or if no saving throw is permitted, then every
time that creature needs to make any OTHER saving throws of any kind during
that round, the creature must first roll a d20 and consult the table below
to see how his saving throw is affected.

[ Author's note:
		Instead of flipping each round, the first flip may be used to
determine the resulting effects for the duration of the spell.  For
instance, if the flip lands tails, the creature is absolutely affected by
this spell for its duration.  If it lands heads, the creature may save
against this spell every round for the spell's duration.  This will GREATLY
simply the accounting, and reduce the number of flips required for the
battle.
]

        If a creature leaves the area effect, the creature is no longer
under the influence of this spell.  If a creature enters the area effect
during the duration of the spell, that creature is then subjected to the
flips and rolls mentioned above, again if so desired.  If a creature not
originally affected by the spell enters the active area effect, that
creature is subject to the spell as per the example above.

		Any creature with magic resistance makes the check only once, when
the spell is first cast.  Any creature not in the area effect, but who
later enters the sphere, may make a magic resistance check.  If a magic
resistant creature leaves the area effect and re-enters it, it is up to the
DM to decide if the creature gets another MR check or not, regardless of
whether it made the first one (the author suggests the creature would not,
since the creature has already demonstrated its resistance to this
particular spell, positive or negative).

Example continued:
		There's a dragon (or part of one anyway) in the area effect when
Erelas casts this spell.  The dragon first makes a magic resistance check.
It fails.  It then flips a coin.  The coin lands heads, so the dragon may
make a saving throw.  The dragon makes its saving throw.  That same round,
shortly after Erelas's spell goes off, another mage casts a lightning bolt
at the dragon.  The dragon makes a completely normal saving throw versus
that spell, as it is not affected by Erelas's spell this round.
		The next round, before any other actions, the dragon again flips a
coin.  It again lands heads.  The dragon rolls a saving throw, but fails.
Erelas casts a fireball at the dragon.  The dragon rolls his magic
resistance, and fails.  The dragon rolls a d20, and consults the table.  He
rolls a 7.  The table indicates the modifier, at Erelas's level of 10, to
be -3.  The dragon then rolls another d20 for a saving throw.  He rolls a
12.  This would normally make it for this particular dragon, but the -3
penalty applies for this roll, which brings it down to 9.  He thus fails,
taking full damage from the fireball.
		On the third round, the dragon flips a coin.  The coin lands tails,
indicating that the dragon may not make a saving throw this time.  Someone
casts charm on him, and he rolls his magic resistance, and fails.  He rolls
a 15 on a d20, and consults the table: +3.  He rolls a saving throw: 9.
The modifier is applied, bringing that 9 to 12, which makes the save for
the dragon, so he is not charmed.
		On the fourth round, the dragon flips a coin, which lands heads.
The dragon makes a NORMAL saving throw (no chart check needed, as this
throw is against the spell itself), and succeeds, thus not having to worry
about this spell this round.

d20 -> 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
1     |-1|-1|-1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |+1|+1|+1
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
2     |-2|-1|-1|-1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |+1|+1|+1|+2  
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
3     |-2|-2|-1|-1|-1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |+1|+1|+1|+2|+2
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
4     |-3|-2|-2|-1|-1|-1|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |+1|+1|+1|+2|+2|+3
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
5     |-3|-3|-2|-2|-1|-1|-1|  |  |  |  |  |  |+1|+1|+1|+2|+2|+3|+3
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
6     |-4|-3|-3|-2|-2|-1|-1|-1|  |  |  |  |+1|+1|+1|+2|+2|+3|+3|+4
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
7     |-4|-4|-3|-3|-2|-2|-1|-1|-1|  |  |+1|+1|+1|+2|+2|+3|+3|+4|+4
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
8     |-5|-4|-4|-3|-3|-2|-2|-1|-1|  |  |+1|+1|+2|+2|+3|+3|+4|+4|+5
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
9     |-5|-5|-4|-4|-3|-3|-2|-2|-1|  |  |+1|+2|+2|+3|+3|+4|+4|+5|+5
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
10    |-6|-5|-5|-4|-4|-3|-3|-2|-1|  |  |+1|+2|+3|+3|+4|+4|+5|+5|+6
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
11    |-6|-6|-5|-5|-4|-4|-3|-2|-1|  |  |+1|+2|+3|+4|+4|+5|+5|+6|+6
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
12    |-7|-6|-6|-5|-5|-4|-3|-2|-1|  |  |+1|+2|+3|+4|+5|+5|+6|+6|+7
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
13    |-7|-7|-6|-6|-5|-4|-3|-2|-1|  |  |+1|+2|+3|+4|+5|+6|+6|+7|+7
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
14    |-8|-7|-7|-6|-5|-4|-3|-2|-1|  |  |+1|+2|+3|+4|+5|+6|+7|+7|+8
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
15    |-8|-8|-7|-6|-5|-4|-3|-2|-1|  |  |+1|+2|+3|+4|+5|+6|+7|+8|+8
======+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
16    |-9|-8|-7|-6|-5|-4|-3|-2|-1|  |  |+1|+2|+3|+4|+5|+6|+7|+8|+9

Material components

        In the chanting and hand waving, the caster holds aloft a
dandelion, post bloom.  He blows at the seeds, which then magically
reproduce, and fill the area effect in random density.  Thus, a creature in
the area effect has roughly a 50/50 chance of being affected by the
`cloud.'  If it is affected, the effect may be good or bad, e.g., the seeds
may block his view of a dodge, or they may block the view of the attacker
(- or + adjustment, respectively).  Somehow, this also affects spells whose
saving throws are not so physical in nature.
		A gust of wind spell, or other air spell will not affect the seeds,
as they are magical, insubstantial (except for a small percentage), and
primarily visual (magical darkness, thus, will negate this spell for that
area and duration).


                / \  //\
  |\___/|      /   \//  .\                    [email-masked]
  /O  O  \__  /    //  | \ \                      Dave Michaels
 /     /  \/_/    //   |  \  \                  System Programmer
 @___@'    \/_   //    |   \   \         "People say I'll get better soon,
    |       \/_ //     |    \    \         but I keep telling them, ``I'm
    |        \///      |     \     \         not that kind of dragon!''"
   _|_ /   )  //       |      \     _\                
  '/,_ _ _/  ( ; -.    |    _ _\.-~        .-~~~^-.   
  ,-{        _      `-.|.-~-.           .~         `.
   '/\      /                 ~-. _ .-~      .-~^-.  \
      `.   {            }                   /      \  \
    .----~-.\        \-'                 .~         \  `. \^-.
   ///.----..>        \             _ -~             `.  ^-`  ~^-_
     ///-._ _ _ _ _ _ _}^ - - - - ~                     ~--,   .-~
                                                           |_/~
                                                            '