Subject: Miscellaneous Spells.
From: [email-masked] (Darktooth)
Date: 4 Apr 1994 14:57:47 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

Smelt, (c) 1993 by Keith C. McCormic

    I recently developed this spell while trying to develop means
to make wizards more useful to the community as a whole.  While 
researching metalwork, I discovered that it required a significant
amount of effort to produce even a small amount of metal from a 
raw ore.  As a result, a developed this spell, which significantly
speeds up the process.

SMELT

Level: 1                     Components: V,S,M
Range: Touch                 Casting Time: 2 rounds
Duration: Permanent          Saving Throw: None
Area of effect: Special

Explanation/Description:  This spell reduces a quantity of metal
ore to the pure metal it represents.  No slag is left, as it is
consumed to provide energy for the spell.  
    A mage may reduce an amount of metal, per level, as shown by
the table below:

             Ore:                          Metal Resulting:
    Lead:    80 lbs                        60 lbs
    Copper:  50 lbs                        30 lbs 
    Bronze:  40 lbs copper, 10 lbs tin     30 lbs 
    Brass:   40 lbs copper, 10 lbs zinc    30 lbs
    Tin:     50 lbs                        30 lbs
    Iron:    20 lbs                        10 lbs
    Steel:   10 lbs + 1 lb charcoal         5 lbs
    Silver:  30 lbs                        20 lbs
    Gold:    50 lbs                         1/4 lb
    Mithril:  1 lb                          1 oz
    Mercury:  1 lb                          1 oz

    By this method, low-level mages should be able to smelt the
daily products of a small mine.  DMs should assign values to other
metals based on their rarety, value, and usefulness as above.
    When this spell is cast, the caster must place a small amount
(a coin, drop, or small bar) of refined metal, of the appropriate type,
on top the pile of ore.  Then, as he or she speaks the words and makes
motions of pumping a bellows or hammering.  A bright light will 
surround the ore, blinding all who look at it if they do not save vs.
paralyzation for 1d6 rounds.  No heat is produced by this.  When
the light fades, a block of the pure metal of the indicated weight
will be seen resting on the same surface the ore was on.  In the 
case of mercury, the caster must place the ore in a bowl before 
casting, or the fluid runs off.

From: [email-masked] (Darktooth)
Date: 4 Apr 1994 14:59:31 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous Spells.

Deforest, (c) 1993 by Keith C. McCormic

    I recently developed this spell while trying to develop means
to make wizards more useful to the community as a whole.  I realized that 
clearing land for farms, roads, buildings, etc. was a large task.  
So, if a spell existed to make the job easier, people could plant
larger fields without having to chop down trees (Unless they needed
the wood).  DMs may allow this spell to merely fell trees rather
than turn them to grass.

DEFOREST

Level: 1                     Components: V,S,M
Range: None                  Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: Permanent          Saving Throw: Special
Area of effect: Special

Explanation/Description:  This spell causes all normal, stationary
plants in an area to turn to grass.  The affected area's topography 
will remain unaltered, and many stones will still need to be removed 
before crops can be planted.
    DEFOREST can affect a region of up to 100 sq ft. or 5' radius 
per level of the caster.  Thus a first level wizard can clear a
circle ten feet across, and so on.  The dimensions of the area can
be altered to make elongated rectangles, so that straight paths and
roadways can also be cleared by this method.  Any plant whose roots
are inside the area of effect are also considered inside, so a well-
placed casting could actuallty clear several large trees instead of
one or two.
    The spell, if used in radius format centers on the caster, and
if in square or rectangular format, begins directly in front of the 
caster and clears an area as wide as desired (Up to limits) for
as far as it can go in a straight line.
    Mobile plant-like monsters, such as Shambling Mounds, are 
unaffected by the spell.  However, plant-like monsters which have
a root system, such as the Snapper Saw or Tri-Flower Frond,
must save vs. Spell or receive 1d4 points of damage per level of
the caster.  For every 8 points the plant loses, it also permanently
loses one hit die.  If the plant is killed by the spell, it is also
turned to grass.  If not, it remains and may heal damage up to its
new hit die total.