Subject: no subject (file transmission)
From: Dimitris Xanthakis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 4:18:15 EET

DARKRAY'S SPELLS

The following spells were created by the Athasian militant invoker Darkray
(LN with good tendencies). He was born in Altaruk and then moved to South
Ledopolis, where he lived for years among the dwarves.

A 'deck of many things' changed his life. He won great fame and treasure,
which he used to help his village and to research spells. He became a noble
in Nibenay, a very distinguished person in Altaruk and a respectable citizen
in South Ledopolis and Tyr.

During the quest to save Athas from the psionatrix (Dragon's Crown adventure)
he reached 13th level. He was then betrayed by his 'comrades' and lost his
spellbooks. After many strange and dark adventures on this and other planes,
he was finally killed by a silt horror and vanished in the Sea of Silt. Years
later, some rumours tell he is resurrected but this remains to be seen.

                                --------------
Notes:

Although the spells were created on Athas, the monetary units here are
standard AD&D. If used on Athas, reduce prices where appropriate.

  Darkray's Irresistible Tickling            1
  Darkray's Enhanced Daggers                 2
  Darkray's Strangling Rope                  3
  Darkray's Absorbing Cloak                  4
  Darkray's Antimagic Blade                  4
  Darkray's Fiery Disruptor                  4
  Darkray's Magical Enhancer                 4
  Darkray's Poison Protector                 4
  Darkray's Spell Booster                    4
  Darkray's Blade of Light                   5
  Darkray's Confirmed Pact                   5
  Darkray's Defiler Tracer                   5
  Darkray's Draining Tendrils                5
  Darkray's Hiding Mantle                    5
  Darkray's Mail of Power                    5
  Darkray's Minor Wish                       5
  Darkray's Preserving Box                   5
  Darkray's Strength of Life                 5
  Darkray's Transformation                   5
  Darkray's Avenger                          6
  Darkray's Chest                            6
  Darkray's Death Lightning                  6
  Darkray's Elemental Immunity               6
  Darkray's Ethereal Trip                    6
  Darkray's Improved Alter Self              6
  Darkray's Invulnerability                  6
  Darkray's Lock                             6
  Darkray's Orb of Spell Patterns            6
  Darkray's Powerguard                       6
  Darkray's Protection from Feeblemind       6
  Darkray's Teleport Guide                   6
_____________________________________________________________________________

                  ===================================

                          First Level Spells

                  ===================================

Darkray's Irresistible Tickling (Evocation)

Range: 20 yards/level
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round + 1 round/level
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 1 person
Saving Throw: None

Upon casting this rather humorous spell, a pair of disembodied hands appear
and are directed at the target. The hands start tickling the victim around
their waist.

The victim must be humanoid (undead excluded). No save is allowed, but he can
make a wisdom check to avoid the effect; this has a -1 penalty for every 2
levels of the caster. Failing that, the tickling has the following effects:

On the first round the victim suffers a -1 penalty on his attack rolls and
saving throws and any magical concentration is broken. On the second and
third he has a penalty of -3. On the following rounds, until the spell
expires, he can do nothing but trying to avoid the small hands that disturb
him, laughing and crying at the same time. Every three rounds the victim
rolls another wisdom check to get rid of the spell.

If a person is affected for a number of rounds that exceed his constitution
score, he must roll a constitution check each round or fall unconscious for
2d4 rounds.

The caster can end the spell at will.

                  ===================================

                          Second Level Spells

                  ===================================

Darkray's Enhanced Daggers (Evocation, Alteration)

Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: Special
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

With this spell the caster can turn ordinary daggers or knives or dirks into
energy bolts. Each of them can then be thrown, to inflict 1d6hp, plus one hp
per two caster's levels. If not proficient in the dagger, he suffers the
appropriate penalty. Strength bonuses do not apply to the damage roll but do
apply in the attack roll. The substance of the weapon is consumed by the
spell the round after the throw, regardless of success.

The caster can turn a number of daggers equal to his level, up to ten. The
casting time of the spell is the number of daggers in segments of a round.
The weapons can be made from wood, bone, obsidian or steel and after the
casting are considered magical (no pluses) to determine what they can hit.

The caster touches all the weapons, one after the other. Thereafter, if they
are thrown at a target, they are transformed into white energy balls. The
weapons can be thrown by the caster or any who can put a hand on them, for a
period of time equal to the caster's level in rounds. After this time, the
weapons melt with a sudden emission of heat.

The casting of Permanency or similar magic on the weapons, just after this
spell, stabilizes the magic until they are thrown. Permanency can affect the
whole result of an Enhanced Daggers spell.

The material components of the spell are the weapons themselves, which are
consumed at the end of the spell's duration or when thrown.

                  ===================================

                          Third Level Spells

                  ===================================

Darkray's Strangling Rope (Evocation)

Range: 10 yards/level
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: 1 person
Saving Throw: Negates

Using this spell, the caster is able to hold motionless a human-sized or
smaller creature. It affects humanoids and thri-kreen but not half-giants.

The caster must use a piece of rope as the material component. He casts the
spell on the rope and then he throws it to the target. The rope is turned
into a yellow energy cord during the flight, then without error wraps around
the target. The victim must save vs spells with a -2 penalty (but adjust for
dexterity), or be tied and held by the rope.

When held, the victim cannot move any part of his body. The rope inflicts
1d4hp of damage each round, due to strangulation. If the victim wants to use
psionics or magic (with verbal components only), a separate initiative must
be rolled to determine when the damage occurs.

The caster can end the spell at will.

                  ===================================

                          Fourth Level Spells

                  ===================================

Darkray's Absorbing Cloak (Evocation, Abjuration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

When a mage casts this spell, he is surrounded by an invisible aura, like a
cloak, that absorbs and stores magical energy in the form of spell levels.
Once cast, the cloak lasts until it absorbs its maximum (see below).

One such cloak can absorb up to half the caster's level (round down) in
wizard spell levels. The spells absorbed must be cast directly at the caster.
Area effect spells (like Fireball and Cloudkill) cannot be absorbed. If a
spell cannot be totally absorbed, it has no effect on the cloak.

When the cloak absorbs its maximum, it remains active for another round.
During this time, the mage can enhance the effects of a single other spell
using the previously stored energy: he can cast one spell as if he was one
level higher than he actually is, per two full spell levels absorbed.

If the wizard chooses not to use the stored energy, it is released the
following round as a harmless warm light around him.

Example: an 8th level mage casts Absorbing Cloak; he can absorb up to 4 spell
levels. Some time later, he is hit with a Magic Missile (+1) and a Lightning
Bolt (+3), all absorbed. At the same round, another Magic Missile hits but as
the cloak is full, damage is normal. In the following round the mage decides
to use the stored energy to enhance his own Lightning Bolt. The bolt will
inflict 10d6hp of damage instead of 8d6, with appropriate adjustments to
range and area of effect.

The use of True Seeing or similar magic will reveal the presence of the
protective aura, in the form of a shadow cloak worn by the caster.

The material component of the spell is a silver or gold piece, consumed in
the casting. The spell is not cumulative with itself.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Antimagic Blade (Evocation, Abjuration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 5 rounds + 1 round/level
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

This spell is a rather offensive version of Dispel Magic and is primarily
used to actively counter hostile magic. Upon casting it on a blade of any
type, the weapon is surrounded with a red aura and thereafter acts as a +1
weapon (with normal penalties if the caster is not proficient in it).

Every successful strike of the blade Dispels Magic, as per the spell, at the
caster's level and using the attack roll as the dispel roll. This can be used
against anything normally subject to Dispel Magic: magical barriers, items or
effects of any kind.

The caster can end the spell at will. The use of the blade does not hinder
movement and does not preclude spellcasting any more than an ordinary blade
does. The caster is immune to the dispelling effects of the blade.

The material component of the spell is any bladed weapon, which is not
consumed when the spell expires.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Fiery Disruptor (Evocation)

Range: 10 yards/level
Components: V, S
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

Darkray formed this spell from Melf's Minute Meteors and Magic Missile. Its
main purpose is not to inflict damage but to counter a hostile spellcaster.

The spell enables the wizard to cast small fiery globes, one per level of
experience he has attained. The mage can throw one globe per round at the
same or different living targets. Each of them inflicts 1hp damage. They are
formed from pure magical energy and seem to materialize over the head of the
caster before speeding towards their target.

The missiles have two special characteristics: they never miss (as do the
magic missiles) and they always strike at the very beginning of a round.

The conditions required to hit a target with this spell are the same as those
of Magic Missile. If a target goes invisible after he has already been struck
by at least one ball, he is allowed a saving throw vs spells to avoid each
missile aimed at him while he remains invisible. The conditions in case (B)
of Melf's Minute Meteors also apply to this spell.

Since the globes created by this spell are similar to magic missiles, they
can be countered with appropriate ways.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Magical Enhancer (Evocation, Alteration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

This spell belongs to the field of metamagic. Using it, a mage can augment
the effects of spells cast the rounds following the casting of this one. The
duration of the spell is one round per two full caster levels, up to seven.

Magic that can be affected includes all spells of 5th level or less with a
casting time that is less than or equal to seven rounds. The effects of an
augmented spell persist even beyond the duration of the enhancer.

The material component is a small gem stone of any value. The stone starts to
glow when the spell is cast and from then on, it acts as a transformer of
energy: the caster can spend some of his own hp each round to increase the
casting level of his spells, one hp per spell level.

For example, a 5th level mage wants to cast fly as if he was 11th level. He
casts magical enhancer; in the following round, he must spend 6hp to be able
to cast fly at 11th level ([11-5]=6). The duration of the fly will be at
least 12 turns (duration of fly: one turn per level + 1d6 turns), even though
this is much longer than the duration of the enhancer.

The maximum casting level that can be achieved with this spell is 20. The
enhancer will not affect other metamagic spells. If the augmentation brings
the caster's hit points to zero or less, the character dies but the desired
spell is completed.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Poison Protector (Evocation, Abjuration)

Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None

Since poisons on Athas can become extremely lethal, Darkray created this
spell to protect himself and his companions from such attacks.

The spell can protect against one method of poisoning, injected, ingested or
contact. Upon casting, an invisible aura surrounds the recipient (using
detect invisibility etc reveals the aura). If protecting against injected or
contact poisons, the aura covers the whole body. If it is against ingested
poisons, it just covers the mouth.

The aura protects the subject against a number of poison attacks equal to the
half the caster's level (five times at ninth level etc). The protection lasts
until dispelled.

If an attack using poison is made using the suitable method, the subject
suffers no damage from the poison; he suffers normal damage if a weapon was
used to deliver the poison, however.

The material component of the spell is a drop of a poison that the subject
must consume during the casting; the poison must be of the appropriate type,
that is injected, ingested or contact. Protection against natural poisons is
granted only if these belong specifically to the poison table.

An individual can only be protected against one method by means of this spell
at any given time.

Note: The spells Stoneskin and Darkray's Mail (q.v.) take precedence over the
Poison Protector; attacks negated by these spells do not affect it.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Spell Booster (Evocation, Alteration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round per two levels
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

This is a metamagic spell. When a wizard casts this spell, he strengthens the
power of spells he subsequently casts. The spell lasts for one round per two
experience levels of the caster.

While the spell is in effect, the saving throws of opponents struck by the
caster's spells suffer penalties: -2 at 7th level, -3 at 10th, -4 at 13th
etc. The penalties are cumulative with every other saving throw modifier.

                  ===================================

                          Fifth Level Spells

                  ===================================

Darkray's Blade of Light (Evocation)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

Upon casting this spell, the invoker must join his two hands in front of him,
as if he was holding a two-handed sword. He then channels magical energy to
form a four feet pole of blue-white light, which springs out of his grasped
hands. He can use it silently and he is immune to its effects.

The pole can perform as a magical sword. The caster suffers penalties if not
proficient in the sword (any). Damage is 1d6/1d8. The blade hits with a +3
bonus to attack and +n to damage, n equals the number of experience levels
beyond the 5th. A 10th level mage for example, hits large creatures for
1d8+5hp plus any strength bonuses he might have.

The blade cannot cut through solid metal or stone. It has the following
abilities, at the caster's mental command:

 * Fear, once. All within 10 yards must save vs spells or flee for 1d4
rounds. The caster usually employs this as his first action with the blade.

 * Lightning bolt, once. A lightning bolt effect is created but, unlike the
spell, the victim must make a dexterity check to avoid it. Large, huge and
gigantic creatures have a penalty of -2, -3, -5. Immobile targets make no
check. The bolt inflicts 6d6hp. The target can be at most 30yd away and in
direct visual contact with the caster. The bolt cannot harm any other.

 * Swing, once. The caster can swing the blade and thus have a chance to hit
every opponent in melee with him. A separate attack roll is required for each
one. If fighting a single large creature, the caster can use swing to gain a
second attack on it at that round.

 * Drain life, once. The caster must announce this before the attack. If he
makes a successful roll and in addition to the damage inflicted, the victim
is drained for a further 3d4hp, gained by the caster.

 * Vorpal action, twice. The caster must announce this before making the
attack roll. If he rolls a 17 or more, the blade acts as vorpal, slaying a
humanoid, human sized opponent. The two attacks need not be consecutive. On a
larger creature this attack gives +2 to the attack and damage.

Undead take half damage from the blade and are not affected by drain and
fear. All special powers can be used simultaneously with a normal attack,
except for lightning bolt.

The caster can combine the drain or vorpal attacks with the swing action. A
vorpal action can only be used once during the whole spell if combined with
swing. If the caster is hasted, he can double the number of his attacks but
each special power lasts for a single attack.

The main disadvantage of this spell is that the wizard cannot cast spells
that require somatic or material components, as the two hands are firmly
grasped to each other. The other problem is that each time the caster uses a
special power of the blade, he temporarily loses 1hp, needed to feed the
blade (a combined action needs 2hp). This damage occurs at the end of the
round and can be healed normally.

Because the caster cannot loose his hands and deform the blade, he gains the
following benefit. If he is caught in a bear hug or similar attack from any
creature, he gains a free attack with the blade at the time of the hug.
Furthermore, if the attacker is in front of him, the caster can attack and
succeed automatically, inflicting double damage every round. The mage can
still use any remaining special powers of the blade, except swing.

The spell ends if the mage loses control of his hands (including charm,
possession etc), a successful Dispel Magic is cast upon him, if he casts a
Limited Wish or similar magic or if he enters a dead magic area (for example,
an Antimagic Shell, a Dispelling Screen etc). Note that the caster cannot end
the spell at will. He is free to cast it as if he were in a lower level than
he actually is, though, with the appropriate thac0, damage etc.

The material component is a hair of the caster.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Confirmed Pact (Divination)

Range: Special
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 2 weeks per level
Casting Time: 1 turn
Area of Effect: 2 creatures on the same plane
Saving Throw: None

This spell is cast on two creatures that have just reached an agreement of
any sort. The wizard may be one of them. Both subjects must be willing to be
affected by the spell or else it fails in an obvious way.

The casting requires the donation of a personal item, worth about 1gp, from
each of the subjects. The items do not vanish and the subjects may get them
back after the spell ends. The spell also requires a gem of any sort, the
Core Gem, of at least 500gp value. This lasts until the spell ends and then
turns to ash.

The items and the Core Gem must be placed in a small obsidian case. This is
sealed during the casting with 3hp of blood from each of the subjects; these
can only be healed naturally. The case may have other protections.

For the duration of the spell the wizard will be instantly aware if either
member of the pact breaks it, that is if one or both subjects have acted
against the agreement they have made. The caster also learns if this action
was made willingly or not (i.e. if under charms etc).

The spell deals with the spirit and not the letter of the agreement! The
wizard will be informed if one of the subjects coats his weapon with poison
in order to strike his partner, even though no actual attack takes place.

The spell does not in any way hinder the actions of the subjects. Further,
the wizard only learns whether the pact was broken or not and nothing more.
The spell does not in any way give him the ability to communicate with the
subjects, to inform them for example.

The spell normally lasts for two weeks per level of the caster. During that
time the wizard will be informed every time a subject acts against the pact.
If both subjects decide willingly to break their pact, the spell ends and the
wizard is informed about it. It is possible to cast further such spells for
the same pact but each requires a new Core Gem and a new blood sacrifice.

Dispel Magic must be successfully cast on the Core Gem to end the spell.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Defiler Tracer (Divination)

Range: 60 yards
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 day per level
Casting Time: 1 turn
Area of Effect: 1 mile radius
Saving Throw: Special

To cast this spell, the wizard needs to some defiler ash. As long as the
spell remains in effect, the caster will be automatically warned whenever
that particular defiler is within a radius of one mile. Further, if the
defiler is closer than 300 yards, the caster can receive a mental image of
his location, if the defiler fails a save vs spells.

Even if the save succeeds, the caster will know the exact direction and
distance if the defiler remains within 300 yards.

This spell can be blocked by lead or other divination-protective means. The
material component is some defiler ash, which vanishes at the end of the
casting. One can cast this spell many times to track a specific defiler, as
long as he has some ash available.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Draining Tendrils (Evocation, Necromancy)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: 5 feet/level radius
Saving Throw: Special

Upon casting this spell, the staff of the wizard is covered with a number of
bright energy tendrils. These can then arc to any creatures in the area of
effect, draining their life energy throughout the caster and emitting it as
visible light from the staff.

Any creature within range is subject to attack from the tendrils and must
save vs spells to avoid being hit. Once a tendril hits, it remains wrapped
until the spell expires or the target dies. The spell creates one tendril per
level above 8.

If the target saves, he can freely act that round but is subject to attack
the next round if within range. In any case, he can be wrapped by a single
tendril only. The caster chooses the creatures to attack but can only make
one attack per target per round.

The drain begins the round following a successful wrap. For each of the
caster's levels of experience, one hit point is drained from every creature
wrapped and emitted as light from the staff. The more hit points drained the
more intense is the light. A victim can act with no penalties except that it
is unable to leave the area of effect.

The caster can last the spell for as long as he wishes, but he must touch the
staff and concentrate during all this time.

The process is very tiresome and at the end of the spell the caster loses two
points of constitution and one point of strength. One day of complete, shaded
rest restores one point of each ability. If the mage casts the spell more
than once per day, he suffers a cumulative -3 CON, -2 STR each time.

The material component of the spell is the staff. This must have a number of
steel nails on it, at least one nail per tendril to be released. Such a nail
costs about one gold piece. On the head of each nail a miniature skull must
be engraved. The staff is not consumed in the casting.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Hiding Mantle (Evocation, Abjuration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

Upon casting this spell, a special aura surrounds the caster. The aura can
change colours and patterns, completely matching those of the environment.
The match is automatic for as long as the caster wishes. When surrounded by
this aura he is 95% undetectable in all but the brightest of areas. He makes
no noise and has no smell.

If the caster attacks or casts an offensive spell, he becomes visible for an
instant; creatures that watch carefully can see him but in the next round he
becomes hidden once again. He can make almost any other action and remain
hidden inside the protective aura. Powder, sand and other similar materials
thrown onto the caster while his aura is active makes his shape visible for
that round. In the next round he becomes hidden once again. Note that the
aura is considered 'on' during all this time.

The caster can switch the aura 'on' and 'off' any number of times within the
spell's duration, each change requiring but a moment. With each change,
small, harmless arcs of lightning engulf his body.

The duration of the aura remaining active is five rounds per level of the
caster. This is not the duration of the spell! The wizard can turn off the
aura, go to sleep and use the remaining time next morning. Seven days is the
absolute maximum, however. Beyond this, any remaining time is lost.

The caster is subject to magical or psionic detection. Detect Invisibility
and True Seeing, as well as the psionic devotion Life Detection, can locate
the actual position of the caster.

The material component of this spell is a 100gp gem.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Mail of Power (Evocation, Abjuration)

Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: None

With this spell a mage can lower the ac of a creature to 3. The effects are
not cumulative with other protection (one cannot improve his ac more than 3
through the use of this spell) but dexterity bonuses still apply.

For each level of the caster, the mail absorbs 2 points of damage that would
normally hit ac3 but with no protection against magical weapons or attacks.
When it has absorbed the maximum damage, it vanishes. It does not hinder
movement, it is weightless and does not interfere with spellcasting.

The material component is a piece of rock.

NOTE: This spell is a better version of Invisible Mail (3rd).

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Minor Wish (Invocation, Conjuration)

Range: Special
Components: V
Duration: Special
Casting Time: Special
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: Special

This is a weak version of the wish spell. It is used to alter reality in
minor ways. The general rules for wishes apply to this spell as well. As it
is significantly weaker than actual wishes, the exact terminology during the
casting is not very important. The dm, of course, can interpret it as he sees
fit.

The wizard still states a full wish, when casting this spell. In line with
the limited wish, only the result indicates that the spell was actually a
minor wish, instead of a normal one!

A list of what the spell can do follows. In brackets are some of the side
effects that may occur:

 * Restore to life any creature that died in the previous hour. The subject
is restored at exactly 1hp, with a system shock roll required. This revival
lasts for one turn plus 1d4rd. At the end of this period the subject 'dies'
again. The revival does not count as an actual one, since there is no way to
keep the creature alive after the duration expires (without more powerful
magic, that is). So, no system shock or constitution change are needed. [if
another dead creature exists around, it is animated and attacks the caster].

 * Create items for the caster but these are not permanent; they last for a
variable amount of time, depending on the substance. [items could be easily
identified as fakes, if they were especially precious or of good quality].

 * Heal 1d8+4hp of damage on the caster or others. [caster loses 1d2hp].

 * Inflict 1d4+8hp of damage to a creature (save for 1/2). [as above].

 * Raise an ability for 1d4+1 rounds. [another is diminished].

 * Destroy a creature of 4 HD or less, if it fails a saving throw vs death;
the creature must be within eyeshot from the caster. [caster loses 1d4hp].

 * Duplicate the effects of any spell of 5th level or less that the wizard
can normally cast. For example, an invoker cannot use this spell to cast a
spell belonging to the conjuration/summoning school. The wizard must know of
the spell, however, even if he does not have it in his spellbooks (decision
left to dm as to whether the caster knows of a spell or not; 1st & 2nd level
spells though, are considered common knowledge). [spell does not function as
normally expected, range/duration etc may be different].

The casting of a minor wish does not normally age the character as the
stronger wishes do. However, if it is cast more than once per day, there is a
base chance of 60% plus 10% for each additional minor wish that one of the
following happens (randomly determined, 1d6):

 1.Caster suffers 3d4 points of damage which can only be healed by resting.
 2.Caster cannot use magic of any sort for a whole day.
 3.Caster's strength reduced to 6, one week of complete bed rest required.
 4.Caster ages one year.
 5.Caster's str, dex, con drop to 6, recovering one point per hour resting.
 6.Caster loses one constitution point permanently.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Preserving Box (Alteration)

Range: 10 feet
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 week/level
Casting Time: 1 turn
Area of Effect: 1 box up to 2x1x1 feet
Saving Throw: None

With this spell, the wizard can preserve an amount of non living material for
the duration of the spell. It must lie within a normal, non-magical box that
fits entirely within the area of effect. The box has no special resistance
but magical or normal wards/traps can be freely placed on it.

After the casting, the contents will enter a state of suspended animation and
time will not affect them: fruits never rot, food remains fresh etc. The box
becomes sealed and outside conditions do not affect the interior.

Even the caster cannot open the box without ending the spell. The box will
hold its contents intact for one week per level of the caster. The contents
can then be placed into another box and the spell cast again or the wizard
can cast the spell again before the duration ends, practically preserving the
contents for an undefined period of time.

The material component is a normal box, which is not consumed, and a gold
coin that meltes and seals the box, vanishing after the duration expires.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Strength of Life (Necromancy)

Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 turn + 1 round per level
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

With this spell the caster can alter his strength to any value between 6 and
25 inclusive, but greater than his current strength. In order to do so he
must sacrifice at the beginning of the casting a number of hit points equal
to difference between his current strength and the strength he wants.

While under the influence of the spell, the caster gains all benefits from
the altered strength. He does not gain any extra attacks, though.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Transformation (Evocation, Alteration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: 3d6 hours
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

When the caster utters this spell, his whole body and gear explode in a mass
of bluish sparks. These disperse in all directions, touching items or even
living creatures, without causing any harm. They jump from one thing to
another in a mad dance for 1d4 rounds, seemingly fleeing in all directions.
During this time it is possible to dispel the magic; success indicates the
wizard reappears again near the position of a random spark.

The sparks then flee. They occasionaly pop up here and there but dispelling
some of them does not affect the spell. The consciousness of the wizard lives
inside them and he can even pick up images from where they travel.

After 3d6 hours, the sparks will all gather together in a random position
within a mile from the place of the casting. This second place will be as
safe as possible, that is it will not be in the middle of a lake or a hostile
camp. If no such place exists, for example when in the middle of the Sea of
Silt, the sparks will reunite in the original spot, safe or not.

The reunion of the sparks will cause the wizard to reform, in the same
condition as that he was in during the casting. The DM may give the player
some images his character popped up during the spell, always from within a
one-mile radius from the original casting place.

After the initial 1d4 rounds, the sparks can only be reunited when the spell
expires or with a Limited Wish or similar magic.

                  ===================================

                          Sixth Level Spells

                  ===================================

Darkray's Avenger (Abjuration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 3 turns
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

The mage can cast this spell on himself only, to avenge himself against
future death. Anyone who kills the caster, even if the mage is later
resurrected, becomes the victim of a special curse. The curse manifests 1d4
turns after the killing. There is 95% chance for the victim to be affected.
Exceptional, intelligent beings (avangions etc) receive a normal save vs
death to avoid the effects. The magic can be dispelled before the mage's
death only by a higher level caster.

To determine the effects of the curse, roll d100:

 * 01-20: Reduce three random, different ability scores to 2d4+1 each.

 * 21-40: Maximum hp 20% of original; cannot increase until curse lifted.

 * 41-60: -5 penalty to attack, damage (min 0), ac and saving throws.

 * 61-80: Magical attacks against the victim cause maximum damage; the victim
receives an effective save vs spells of 18, with no modifications whatsoever.

 * 81-00: This applies only if the killer is a person, roll again if not.
Every other NPC who meets the killer senses something very bad about him.
Nobody trusts him, since he carries a 'smell of death'. Such a person will
always receive at least a 'cautious' reaction from NPCs and is considered to
be at most 'indifferent', never friendly himself, no matter what he does.
Reactions are left to the DM. They may include hostile mobs, ceaseless
hunting by templars, animals attacking on the spot etc.

There are five known ways to remove the curse. Other than these, the curse
might be removed if a sufficiently powerful wizard could research a custom
spell for this purpose. This would certainly require some body part of the
original caster.

The spell may be removed:

 * With a Limited or full Wish, cast for this purpose. Nothing fancy is
required, a simple job provided you have the Wish!

It is also possible to remove the curse using a 7th level clerical spell
analogous to Remove Curse, such as Remove Bane, but this is *very* hard to
find. Remove Bane is considered an equivalent of a Wish in this case.

 * With a Remove Curse, cast by a mage or priest of a higher level than the
caster. The victim must save vs death, with no bonuses for magical items etc
counting; success removes the curse while failure means that no attempt to
remove the curse with Remove Curse can be done ever again.

 * With a Dispel Magic, cast by a mage or priest of higher level than the
caster and who have never met him personally. Even then, only one attempt per
level is allowed. Each failure increases by 1 the dispelling difficulty.

 * The killer may decide to atone for his deed. As soon as this thought is
sincerely formed in his mind, the curse is lifted for three months. During
this period the killer must have the caster resurrected, by any means. If he
succeeds, the curse is permanently lifted. If during this time he acts in any
way towards other ends, for example trying to lift the curse with another
way, it returns immediately and further atonement attempts fail.

At the DM's discretion, the three-month period may be extended or the curse
lifted temporarily or even permanently, depending on the situation.

 * With the intervention of a sorcerer-king or a divine being.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Chest (Alteration, Summoning)

Range: Special
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 week plus 1 week per two levels
Casting Time: Special
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

This spell is used to protect some 'hot' and vulnerable items, such as
spellbooks, scrolls and components. The wizard leaves these in a specially
prepared place and then uses a small 'linking' device to recall them to his
current place.

The store must first be created. This is a chest of up to 4x3x3 feet size. It
can have compartements or secret mechanisms and traps. The exterior must be
crafted from pure obsidian and carved with scenes of the mage's life. It
costs a minimum of 5000gp for the basic work. Regardless of the contents, the
chest always weighs 15 pounds.

As long as they fit inside, spellbooks, maps, scrolls, potions, coins etc can
be stored in the chest, with the exception of weapons: only one weapon can be
stored. In addition, everything in the chest must have been in the property
of the wizard for at least 24 consecutive hours before storage, otherwise the
chest will not function at all.

Then the mage must construct two identical 'linking' devices. These can be
almost anything but they must be made of metal. Usually they are something
small and discreet, such as earrings or rings or bracelets. The cost of them
is around 3gp each. The mage then casts the spell on them and the chest. One
of them fuses inside the chest, thus providing the necessary link with the
other device.

From then on and for the spell's duration, the mage leaves the chest in a
presumably well guarded place and carries the second device, always in
contact with his flesh (failure to do so ends the spell).

Three times per day the mage can summon the chest. He can then examine or
alter the contents, use his spellbooks to memorize spells etc. He can send
the chest back to its hiding place or keep it, as he likes. Summoning and
sending away the chest count as an action and require one round each.

The chest and the caster must be in the same plane of existence in order for
the spell to work. The material components of the spell are the chest and the
linking devices; the latter are consumed at the end of the spell.

A wizard can only have one such chest in operation at any given time.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Death Lightning (Evocation, Necromancy)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting Time: Special
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

This complex spell can inflict massive damage to opponents if successfully
cast. During the casting time, the mage gathers energy from the surrounding
land, which is then released as deadly lightning bolts to all creatures
within the area of effect (concealment etc can help avoid the bolts). Note
that this spell does not distinguish between allies and enemies.

The gathering of energy is difficult. The wizard must concentrate for some
time and each additional round augments the power of the bolts. The energy
returns to the land through the victims' bodies, while causing great damage.
The casting time of the spell equals the concentration time.

The caster is not able to perfectly control the collection of energy, so
there is a possibility of spell failure before completion. If this happens,
all energy returns to the land and the spell is wasted. A check must be made
for each casting round.

Only high level spellcasters can gather large amounts of energy. This fact
and all the details above are summarized in the following table.

 Concentration    Damage   Spell fail   Radius   Min XP level
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   1 round          4hp        1%        20ft         12
   2 rounds         9hp        1%        30ft         12
   3 rounds        15hp        2%        50ft         12
   4 rounds        22hp        3%        70ft         13
   5 rounds        30hp        5%       100ft         13
   6 rounds        39hp        7%       130ft         14
   7 rounds        49hp       10%       160ft         14
   8 rounds        60hp       15%       200ft         15
   9 rounds        72hp       20%       250ft         16
  10 rounds        85hp       30%       300ft         17

During the whole casting time the caster remains aware of his environment and
is able to perform basic mental actions. This includes chosing a target for
Melf's Minute Meteors or ceasing one of his previously cast spells.

The material components are a wooden staff and a small obsidian orb which
costs around 50gp. The mage must hold the staff on the ground with one hand
and hold the orb high with the other. The staff gathers energy and stores it
in the orb. When the mage desires to strike, he must first lift the staff and
then crush the orb on the ground (the orb becomes fragile and shatters
automatically if dropped). The staff is not consumed.

If the caster is physically hit or the orb is damaged during the casting, the
spell is not totally wasted. The orb releases some of the stored energy; some
is lost. To find out how much energy is actually released roll 1d4+1 and
subtract the result from the current casting round. As a side effect, the
caster suffers half the stated damage as well, with a save for quarter
damage.

For example, if the mage is disrupted in the 6th round, the orb breaks. The
d4 gives 1. Thus, the orb releases enough energy to inflict 22hp to all
creatures within 70ft. The caster takes 11hp of damage or 5hp if he saves.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Elemental Immunity (Abjuration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

This powerful spell offers protection against attacks of elemental nature. It
can selectively block attacks based on air, earth, fire and water. The type
of the element must be stated at memorize time. It is a weaker version
(although not exactly similar) of the Elemental Aura spell.

Once the spell is cast, the mage and his possessions are totally immune to
all attacks of that element. However, attacks from the other elements
automatically succeed and attacks from the opposite element inflict double
damage as well, if not otherwise blocked: the caster lowers his resistance to
them in order to better protect himself against the fourth one.

Example: if the caster is immune to fire, a water or earth elemental could
hit him with no attack roll needed; the water would cause double damage.

 * Air attacks include: air, electricity, wind, gases, clouds.
 * Earth attacks include: wood or stone weapons, any piece of rock not larger
than the caster and attacks from stone golems.
 * Fire attacks include: fires, heat, lava and the like.
 * Water attacks include: rain, ice and cold, acids.

The spell protects against both natural and magical attacks, for example
Lightning Bolt, Fireball, Melf's Acid Arrow, Watery Double...

The caster also gains immunity to physical attacks from creatures of the
relevant plane (including conjured elementals). Breath attacks using an
element (sand breath, gas breath) are not immune against but have a +3 bonus
to the saving throw instead.

The caster cannot use this spell to travel within a given element (natural
air excluded!). He cannot for example breath underwater or dive in a pit full
of silt. In addition, this spell does not function in the elemental planes.

At any given time, the caster can be immune against a single element only.
Subsequent casting of this spell with a different element stated cancels the
previous one. This of course has nothing to do with magical items that offer
element protection, which always operate normally.

The material components are as follows, among with their minimum cost:
 * Air: opal powder that the caster must sprinkle over him (30gp).
 * Earth: a small diamond that the caster must swallow (20gp).
 * Fire: a piece of fine wood, carved with a ruby of at least 60gp value.
 * Water: a gallon of water blessed by a priest.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Ethereal Trip (Alteration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: Permanent
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

With this spell, the caster can simply move from the Prime to the Border
Ethereal or in the reverse direction. Up to one creature per two levels can
travel with the caster, by joining hands.

Each casting of the spell provides a one-way trip. To travel in the opposite
direction, another casting of the same spell or the use of other means is
required.

From the Border Ethereal the caster can move to the Deep Ethereal or to other
planes. See Manual of the Planes. As a reminder, for every round that passes
in the Ethereal, ten rounds pass in the Prime Material Plane.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Improved Alter Self (Alteration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 day/level
Casting Time: 6
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

  This spell is similar to the 2nd level spell Alter Self with an increased 
duration. In addition, it can only be dispelled by someone of at least 9th
level.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Invulnerability (Abjuration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 turn/level
Casting Time: 6
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

When the wizard casts this spell, he becomes completely immune to physical
attacks by creatures of up to and including 6 levels or hit dice. For every
two levels beyond the 12th the caster attains, the level or hit dice limit
augments by one: 7 at 14th level, 8 at 16th level, 9HD at 18th level etc. The
immunity includes attacks from persons, such as punching.

The material component is the claw of a creature having suitable hit dice; 6
at 12th level, 7 at 14th etc. A lesser one can be used, with analogous
decrease to the spell's power.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Lock (Alteration)

Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Permanent
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

This simple spell can lock any closeable item in such a fashion that it
cannot be opened except by breaking it. The magic strengthens it, so that an
effective strength of 23 is required to break it, using a steel item.

The magic can only be dispelled by a wizard or templar of a level higher than
the caster. Clerics and druids cannot dispel the magic. The spell is not
cumulative with Wizard Lock.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Orb of Spell Patterns (Invocation, Enchantment)

Range: Special
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: Special
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: Special

Using this spell, the wizard can construct a 'spell pattern' and place it on
a specifically prepared orb. He can then activate the orb and release all the
spells at once.

The orb (1-2 inches diameter) must be made of any metal and costs at least
30gp. The caster must first memorize the spell parts of the desired pattern,
plus this spell. He cannot have any other memorized and no other magical
items or spell effects should exist in a range of 10 feet from him.

The caster begins the spell holding the orb in his hand and then keeps it in
touch with him for 2d4 days. If he loses contact with the orb, the spell
fails and the orb becomes useless, as well as if he uses other magic or is
otherwise interrupted.

At the end of this period, the orb becomes noticeably warm. The wizard can
then place the desired spells on it, casting it one by one, at the order he
desires. When he is done, he finishes the spell and the orb reverts to its
normal state.

A command word is used to activate the orb. When someone holds the orb and
speaks the word, the spell pattern explodes: all the spells cast on the orb
are released, one by one, at the order in which they were cast, with their
normal casting time. Activating the orb has an initiative modifier of +3.

If the orb is activated by a non-wizard, the result is random castings. A
wizard of sufficient level to cast the contained spells can control the orb
as if it were a normal magical item. A lower level wizard can only control
spells he can cast, the others are cast randomly.

The caster can place on the orb one spell for each four full experience
levels he has attained. Further, the maximum spell level of each single spell
is as follows: 4th at levels 12-14, 5th at 15-17 and 6th at 18+. Finally, all
spells must belong to the same school of magic (Invocation, Alteration etc).

Here is an example: Darkray is a 13th level invoker. He can place a total of
three spells, each of them no higher than 4th level.

 a) He decides to place 3 Magic Missiles. After 5 days of preparation, he has
made his orb (2d4=5). When he wants to use it, he points at the target and
speaks the command word. He rolls an initiative of 4. The orb is activated at
7, the first Magic Missile at 8 and the third at 10.

 b) If he has already placed Fireball, Dig and Ice Storm, this happens when
he uses it (after rolling a 1 for initiative):

     4: The orb is activated.
     7: Fireball, instantaneously.       \
    11: Dig, for 1 round/level.           > (all three belong to Evocation)
    15: Ice Storm, for 1 round/level.    /

    The result of the above is that after the Fireball, the poor victims will
find themselves struggling not to fall in the pit created by Dig as the Ice
Storm makes the ground extremely slippery!

The orb turns to fine powder at the end of the spell and disperses, never to
be used again.

If the orb is destroyed before the spells are released, it explodes into a
retributive strike. All within 10 feet take 1d10hp per spell level stored, no
save. Those within 20 feet take half this damage and those within 40 feet
take half damage or 1/4 if they save vs breath weapon. The orb saves as a +3
magical item.

A mage can only have a pair of such orbs at any given time.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Powerguard (Evocation, Abjuration)

Range: 0
Components: S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

With this spell a mage can lower his ac to 0. The effects are not cumulative
with other spells that lower the ac but dexterity bonuses still apply.

For each level of the caster, the mail absorbs 3 points of damage that would
normally hit, though not from magical spells or effects. When it has absorbed
the maximum damage, it vanishes. It does not hinder movement, it is
weightless and does not interfere with spellcasting.

The material component are two silver coins.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Protection from Feeblemind (Abjuration)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1 hour
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

This simple spell protects the caster from the next Feeblemind attack. No
matter what happens, the caster is rendered immune to exactly one such
attack, regardless of source. The spell lasts at most three months. It can be
dispelled only by someone of higher level than the caster.

The material component is a small animal's brain that the caster must consume
during the casting.

                  -----------------------------------

Darkray's Teleport Guide (Alteration, Enchantment)

Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 3 hours
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

To use this spell, the wizard must prepare a special item that will be used
as the Target. From then on he can use a Guide item to home on it, as if
using a Teleport spell.

The Target is only usable once. It must be made of metal and be carved with
scenes of the area it is in. It costs no less than 100gp. The Guide costs
less, around 5gp and can be made of any material and formed in any shape or
size. It must remain in touch with the wizard, however. Neither the Guide,
nor the Target are reusable.

During the casting of the spell, the wizard must burn a mixture of rare herbs
and items belonging to the area around the Target, to charge the Guide.
One charge equals 50gp of herbs, with a maximum number of charges equal to
the caster's level. After the casting of the spell, the target item must
remain in the same general place. If it is ever taken farther than 20 yards
from the original spot, the spell ends. The caster can always tell whether
this has happened if he is on the same plane with the Target.

As long as the wizard possesses the Guide, he can spend a charge to Teleport
back to the Target if on the same plane. This follows the standard rules for
magical item activation, the Guide having a +3 initiative modifier. When its
charges are expended, the Guide burns out.

From [email-masked] Fri Dec 24 05:16:33 1993
From: Dimitris Xanthakis <[email-masked]>
Subject: no subject (file transmission)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 93 6:01:56 EET
Status: OR

                                NEW CLERICAL SPELLS
                            ===========================

IMPORTANT NOTE: The following spells are designed for the Dark Sun campaign
world. Any monetary units are for the Dark Sun, increase where appropriate.
As a reminder, in Dark Sun there are the four elemental spheres, the four
paraelemental spheres and the Cosmos sphere.

Sorry if they are somewhat in a mess but I just saw your message stating
today is the last day of submissions..

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

 1.KLL'RKH'S ASSISTING HANDS            School: Evocation
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 2          Range : 0                Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: 5-foot radius    Duration : 5 rounds/level
  Components: V S

By means of this spell, the caster creates a number of insubstantial "hands"
that he can use to assist him in various processes. The number of hands
equals one per three levels (or fraction) of experience of the caster.

The hands cannot be used to attack or defend but can otherwise be used for
any normal purpose, as if they were physical appendages of the caster. They
possess a strength equal to the caster's.

Examples of use include housekeeping jobs, climbing (bonus +10% per hand),
holding other characters, items etc.

Whatever weight the hands carry, it is in addition to any allowed for the
caster. In any case, the DM must judge whether the attempted actions are
within reason (each hand can only do things a normal hand can!).

The spell was created by the thri-kreen earth druid Kll'Rkh.

 2.KING'S AWE AND FEAR                  School: Charm
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 2          Range : 10 feet          Sav.throw: neg.
   Cast time: 2          Effect: 1 creature       Duration : 12 hours
  Components: V S

Using this spell, a templar can cause an intelligent creature to hold a
sorcerer king in awe as well as fear him.

The victim is allowed a save vs spells at -2, with modifiers for wisdom
applying. If failed, the victim knows he faces a servant of that sorcerer
king and is likely to do his bidding. If unaffected, the subject still knows
the identity of the caster (as a servant of that sorcerer king) and may act
as she sees fit.

The spell can be used to impress individuals or during investigations. A
templar can only affect targets regarding his own sorcerer king. The spell
can only be cast by templars.

 3.VIEW GUARDED LANDS                   School: Divination
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 2          Range : unlimited        Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: caster           Duration : instant
  Components: V S M

This spell can only be cast by druids. When they cast it, they receive a
mental image of their guarded lands. They instantly gain a rough knowledge of
what is happening there: what type of creatures inhabit there, if there are
any newcomers and if there has been any damage to the lands (a dead tree or
two is nothing serious, while someone cutting down trees to build a house is
certain to be noticed).

The spell gives no specific information, such as names or images of any
involved persons. Some examples of specific information follow; the exact
location of the events is always specified.

 * Three persons, aided by two large animals, cut down trees.

 * Someone has cast a spell the previous day; he did not defile the land.

 * A party of adventurers has camped in the lands, but they seem harmless.

 * There has been a disturbance; animals seem to be anxious.

The material component is any amount of elemental material, appropriate to
the nature of the lands: A rock, a water pool, a fire or plain air. This is
not consumed in the casting.

The caster must be on the same plane of existence with his guarded land for
the spell to work.

The spell was created by the thri-kreen earth druid Kll'Rkh.

 4.WATCHER                              School: Conjuration/Summoning
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 2          Range : 1-mile radius    Sav.throw: special
   Cast time: 3 rounds   Effect: 1 animal         Duration : 1 hour/level
  Components: V S M

Using this spell, the caster can summon a normal animal and force it to watch
over a particular area or person, for the duration of the spell.

If the desired animal type exists within range, a typical member of the
species will be summoned at the end of the casting. The caster can converse
with the animal if he has a way to do it, which may modify the saving throw
or even negate it all together, if the animal agrees to the task.

The animal must roll a saving throw vs spells, with failure indicating it has
fall under the caster's command for the duration of the spell. If the save
succeeds, the animal remains unaffected and can leave at will.

The caster can instruct the animal as he sees fit. The animal is then able to
mentaly inform the caster that something has happened. Examples:

 * An eagle informs the caster that three large creatures approach from the
east.

 * A cat infroms the caster that a certain creature it was bound to protect
is under attack.

The spell was created by the thri-kreen earth druid Kll'Rkh.

 5.KLL'RKH'S DEFENDING HANDS            School: Evocation
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 3          Range : 0                Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 4          Effect: special          Duration : 1rd/lv
  Components: V S M

With this spell the caster creates a number of insubstantial hands that can
be used for defence or other purposes.

The number of hands equals one per three levels of the caster. They are ac -1
and can be hit by magical weapons or effects; they have a number of hp equal
to the level of the caster each.

The hands can wield weapons, not larger than a short sword. They cannot
attack but they can use the weapons to parry any melee attacks towards the
caster. To parry the attack, the hand must make an attack roll against the
attacker's ac; if successful, the attack has been parried and the damage is
suffered by the hand. Each hand can parry only one melee attack per round.

When not wielding weapons, the hands can be used for other purposes. A hand
has a strength of 18 for purposes of lifting, carrying or smashing. The hands
can never move more than 10 feet away from the caster. The caster can dictate
their actions mentally, at all times, as if they were his own.

The spell was created by the thri-kreen earth druid Kll'Rkh.

 6.METAMORPHOSE ELEMENT                 School: Alteration
                                        Sphere: Air, Earth, Water
       Level: 3          Range : 0                Sav.throw: special
   Cast time: 1rd        Effect: special          Duration : special
  Components: V S M

The caster can transform some material of one element into a different but
related material of the same element. The transformation is permanent for air
or water and lasts for one turn per level for earth.

 * The air cleric can metamorphose gases and vapors in containers or the air
around him into other gases (one 5foot-cube per level).

 * Earth clerics can transform stone, gems etc into other earthly materials.
He can, for example, transform granite into obsidian. He cannot affect metal
at all. He can also turn stone into dust and vice versa. (1 pound / level).
To make the change permanent, the earth cleric must prepare a special gem,
costing at least 50gp, using the spells bless and stone shape on it.

 * The water cleric is able to turn a liquid of one type into another. Water
can be made poisonous or the reverse etc. (one gallon per level).

Note that the cleric must know both substances before casting the spell. A
water cleric, for example, cannot turn an unknown liquid into pure water; he
must know what the liquid is in order to use this spell.

The material component is a small amount of the target material. If water
must be turned to poison, some of the desired poison must be at hand. If a
gas is to be turned into steam, a container with steam must exist.

To use this spell, one must have at least minor access to the related sphere
(i.e. a templar can change all elements).
                                 =========
Note: If you have any idea of how to incorporate this spell for the fire
cleric too, let me know! Possible ideas include ability to control flames or
to adjust the temperature of an area at will.

 7.ANALYZE ELEMENT                      School: Divination
                                        Sphere: All elements
       Level: 4          Range : 5ft/lv           Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: special          Duration : instant
  Components: V S M

Using this spell, the elemental cleric can analyze some non-magical amount of
his own element and learn its components.

 * Air clerics can learn the ingredients of gases and other similar material
within range.

 * Earth clerics can analyze an amount of any mineral, metal, gem etc.

 * Fire clerics have somewhat limited options. They can only inspect a fire
or smoke and learn about the source of it (what kind of material is burning)
or learn about the temperature of a place.

 * Water clerics can learn the ingredients of any liquid solution.

If the caster is 12th level or higher he can also examine magical items or
materials (or magical fire in case of the fire cleric).

In all cases, the caster can later try to construct the material examined, if
he has the proper ingredients.

The substance to be affected must be in a single body (one flask of liquid or
one solid mixture).

The material component of the spell is a gold coin.

 8.COMPREHEND WRITTEN MESSAGES          School: Divination
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 4          Range : 5 yards          Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: caster           Duration : 1rd/lv
  Components: V S

With this spell, the caster is able to understand any written message, in any
language of the present or the past. The writing must be non-magical, so the
caster cannot read magical runes for example. The message can contain any
number of different languages or dialects at the same time; the caster can
discern between them and understand them without difficulty.

The caster can read the equivalent of one page per round, so most texts can
be read fairly easily. The caster fully understands the message, even if it
contains concepts totally alien to his way of thinking (in that case, the
closest thing will be formed in his mind). He is able to remember it, even
after the expiration of the spell.

The spell was created by the thri-kreen earth druid Kll'Rkh.

 9.EARTH FAVOUR                         School: Abjuration, Enchantment
                                        Sphere: Elemental Earth
       Level: 4          Range : touch            Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: special          Duration : 12+1d12 hours
  Components: V S M

The cleric casts this spell on a variable number of small rock stones, one
per three experience levels. The stones are then filled with protective
energy that will last for 12+1d12 hours.  The stones must be ordinary rock of
no special value (i.e. gems etc are excluded) and weigh about one pound.

If the caster or any person who receives spells from the earth sphere carries
such a stone on himself, he will get bonuses to all of his saving throws for
a day. For every five experience levels of the cleric, the stone will give +1
to the saving throws of whoever carries it.

For example,  a 7th level cleric's enchanted stone gives a +2 bonus to the 
saving throws, while a stone from a 11th level cleric gives a +3.

There is no limit to the number of the saving throws affected. The bonuses
are cumulative with other means of protection but not with the spell itself;
one can benefit from only one stone at a time.

At the end of the spell's duration the stones crumble to dust.

The spell was created by the thri-kreen earth druid Kll'Rkh.

 10.TRACK                               School: Divination
                                        Sphere: Elemental Earth
       Level: 4          Range : 0                Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: special          Duration : 3 turns/level
  Components: V S M

This spell gives the caster the ability to follow the trail of other
creatures across most types of terrain. The base chance of success is 5% per
point of wisdom. This is further cumulatively modified as shown below.

The material components are a forked twig and a metal coin. The twig is not
expended in the casting and its value can affect the chance of success.

          Soft or muddy ground                    +20%
          Thick brush, vines or reeds             +15%
          Occasional signs of passage, dust       +10%
          Normal ground, wood floor                 0%
          Rocky ground or shallow water           -50%
          Every two creatures in the group         +5%
          Every 12 hours since trail was made      -5%
          Every hour of rain, snow or sleet       -25%
          Poor lighting (moon, starlight..)       -30%
          Tracked party attempts to hide trail    -25%
          Experience of the caster                 +3% per xp level
          Value of metal twig                      +1% per gp of value

The spell can be cast by more than one priest. In that case, every one
contributes a +5% bonus to the central caster/tracker.

 11.STONE SHATTER                       School: Alteration
                                        Sphere: Elemental Earth
       Level: 4          Range : 120 yards        Sav.throw: special
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: special          Duration : 1 round/level
  Components: V S M

This spell can be used to crush large pieces of rock into smaller parts that
can then be removed easily. It is used to shatter rocks in order to make room
for a new road or passage or simply to get more manageable pieces out of a
large, immobile rock.

The spell affects ten cubic feet of rock per round. Magical constructs, such
as a wizard's wall of stone, receive a saving throw vs crushing blow to
negate the effects.

The material component is a shovel or any other excavating instrument.

 12.STONE WALL                        School: Alteration
                                   Sphere: Elemental Earth
       Level: 4          Range : 5 yards/level    Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 7          Effect: special          Duration : permanent
  Components: V S M

Using this spell, the caster can create a wall made of stone. The wall must
stand on a solid surface and can meld into adjacent stone objects.

The spell creates a wall of stone that is 1/2 inch thick, ten feet wide and
two feet high per level of the caster. Thus a 10th level priest can make a
stone wall 5 inches thick, 50 feet wide and 20 feet high.

One turn after the casting the magic of the spell fades and the wall of stone
becomes a permanent object (that is not subject to dispel magic); this is the
reason the spell belongs to the alteration and not to the evocation school.

The stone wall is primarily a defensive spell, used to stop pursuers or seal
an underground passage. Another use of the spell is to make constructs of
stone.

The material component of the spell is rock of any type of a roughly equal
amount: the spell does not create new material but rather reshapes the
material already present.

 13.AIR MESSENGER                       School: Conjuration/Summoning
                                        Sphere: Elemental Air
       Level: 5          Range : 1 mile           Sav.throw: special
   Cast time: 3 rounds   Effect: special          Duration : special
  Components: V S M

The air cleric uses this spell to summon a small flying animal that can serve
him as a messenger. The animal must have at least animal intelligence and be
within range (a hawk, an eagle etc). The DM decides if one exists. If the
animal has more than 5HD or possess more than 12 intelligence, it gets a
saving throw to negate the summons.

The spell confers the animal a very limited ability to send thoughts, as per
the telepathic devotion. The caster can name a specific person, whom the
animal will try to locate and deliver a small message, up to one word per
level of the caster.

The specification need not to be very specific. 'The mul Farggon in the
merchant district of Tyr' or 'the human Kalarrog in Ledopolis' will suffice,
if there is only one mul Farggon or only one human Kalarrog in these places.
Description can be made more detailed, at the DM's option (common thought
must be used, 40 or 50 words is usually the maximum).

To deliver the message, the animal must get closer than 10 feet from the
target, at which point the ability to send thoughts is activated. The animal
is then free to go as it wishes. Note that the target must be conscious and
able to understand the sent thoughts, or the spell does not expire.

It is possible for the animal to be slain by natural predators or other
hazards, as specified by the DM. Base chance is 10%, modified by the place
and time of the casting, the recipient's place and other such factors. It is
possible for the chance of failure to get as high as 80% or even more. Note
that the caster does not learn if the messenger succeeded.

Casting of this spell for any reason other than to deliver a message is an
evil act (if one summons the animal for food, for example).

 14.KLL'RKH'S ANIMAL ASSISTANT          School: Enchantment
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 5          Range : special          Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 3 hours    Effect: 1 animal         Duration : special
  Components: V S M

This spell can only be cast by druids. The druid seeks one animal of
intelligence 2-6 that inhabits his guarded lands. He can then befriend the
animal and make it to agree to become his assistant.

The druid must converse with the animal and persuade it to help him. He can
then assign it specific tasks, always according to its intelligent. The
animal will carry the assignment out, as best as it can. Animals with high
enough intelligent may at the DM's discretion offer their permanent services
to the druid if the reason is well justified (such as watch over a critical
place of the guarded lands).

Examples of assignments are:

 * The animal must guard an area for a specified period of time, during the
druid's absence.
 * The animal must investigate an area and then report back to the druid.
 * The animal must guard a specific individual until a specific condition is
met (he fulfils a task, a period of time passes etc).
 * The animal must accompany the druid until he releases it.

The druid must burn various herbs and incense for three hours, while he calls
upon a member of the wanted species to come to him. At the end of the casting
time the animal comes and then the druid converses with it. A saving throw vs
spells determines the success (if it fails, the animal obeys the druid).

If the reasons for the summons do not further the druid's ethos, the spirit
of the land may look with disfavour upon the druid (for example, summoning
the animal only to kill and eat it).

In addition to the herbs and incense required, the druid must also make a
sacrifice of a valuable item during the casting. This includes anything of
value, be it a ceramic coin or a fruit of health. The item may have a value
proportionate to the importance of the assignment, although this is not
strictly necessary.

 15.CARVING OF PROTECTION               School: Abjuration
                                        Sphere: Elemental Earth
       Level: 5          Range : touch            Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 5 rounds   Effect: 1 item           Duration : special
  Components: V S M

The caster uses a knife or dagger or other suitable tool to carve a special
protective symbol on one useful item made of metal or stone (weapon or coin
or suit of armor etc). The item cannot be smaller than a coin.

The item becomes magical and possess the ability to protect the one who holds
and uses it. It will confer a +3 bonus to his saving throws for a number of
times equal to half the caster's level. The person can choose when to use
this ability, but this must be announced before the die roll.

The material component is the item, which disappears after the spell has
expired. It must have some value to the character at the time of the casting;
an ordinary piece of rock or wood, for example, cannot be used, but an
obsidian dagger can.

Due to the link between the person and the item, no else can use it.

 16.EARTH VISION                        School: Divination
                                        Sphere: Elemental Earth
       Level: 5          Range : 10yd/lv          Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: special    Effect: special          Duration : instant
  Components: V S M

Using this spell, the caster can inspect distant lands or areas through a
specially prepared rock crystal.

This device is a large obsidian ball, at least a yard in diameter. The
craftsmanship need not be absolutely perfect but the ball must be carefully
prepared using stone shape; it will take more than two weeks with continuous
use of that spell to prepare the necessary ball. This is not consumed in the
casting.

After the manufacturing of the ball, the caster must cast earth vision on the
crystal, followed by a series of other spells, complete with all the
necessary components. These spells must be cast within one day from the time
the priest cast earth vision on the stone or everything is wasted.

1st level: bless, detect evil, detect magic, detect poison, detect snares
its, sanctuary.

2nd level: detect charm, find traps, know alignment, withdraw.

3rd level: continual light, cure blindness, locate object.

4th level: detect lie, divination, imbue with spell ability, tongues.

5th level: commune with nature, true seeing.

After the last of the spells has been cast, the priest must cast earth vision
again on the stone, which unites everything together. The ball must be fixed
in a specially blessed place and can never be removed or the placed
enchantment is destroyed forever.

From that point forward, the caster can cast earth vision on the stone and
turn it into a crystal-ball device. He is able to view persons or areas on
the same plane, regardless of distance. In addition to the abilities of a
crystal ball, the priest can cast all the divination spells from the above
list through the device. The device can give a focus for magical transport,
such as teleportation (the area is considered "studied carefully" then).

 17.ELIMINATE AIR (VACUUM)              School: Alteration
                                        Sphere: Elemental Earth
       Level: 5          Range : 10ft/lv          Sav.throw: special
   Cast time: 5          Effect: special          Duration : 1rd/2lv
  Components: V S

The caster can cause air to vanish. He can create a sphere of absolute
vacuum, one foot in diameter per experience level, around a target of his
choice. The target then suffers the consequences of vacuum.

 * Normal fires are extinguished (magical dispelled as per the spell).

 * Normal liquid boils and evaporates (magical dispelled as per the spell).

 * Living creatures that need to breath, suffocate immediately. Because of
the vacuum, all damage from suffocation is doubled.

 * If cast directly at air elementals and other creatures of the elemental
plane of air, they must save vs death or be slain immediately; if they save,
they suffer 4d4hp.

Air clerics may be offended by the use of this spell, especially if cast with
no obvious reason or benefit.

 18.ELIMINATE EARTH (DISINTEGRATE)      School: Alteration
                                        Sphere: Elemental Air
       Level: 5          Range : 10ft/lv          Sav.throw: special
   Cast time: 5          Effect: special          Duration : instant
  Components: V S

The caster can use this spell to cause matter to vanish. The target must be
an inanimate object made of stone or metal or other earthly material (undead
not included). The item can weigh as much as 10lbs per level of the caster.
Items heavier than this are not affected at all.

The item must save vs disintegration or be totally destroyed, in a quiet
'puff'. Nothing remains.

If cast against magically created or enchanted stone, metal etc, the item
saves vs disintegration with a +10 bonus.

If cast directly at creatures from the plane of earth, these must save vs
death at +2 or be slain immediately; if they save, they suffer 6d6hp. The
same holds for creatures such as stone golems.

Earth clerics may be offended by the use of this spell, especially if cast
with no obvious reason or benefit.

 19.ELIMINATE FIRE (EXTINGUISH)         School: Alteration
                                        Sphere: Elemental Water
       Level: 5          Range : special          Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 5          Effect: special          Duration : special
  Components: V S

This spell can be used against any normal fire, as large as three 10' feet
square per level of the caster.

The caster can extinguish the fire as a whole or diminish it slowly. He can
also create a special 'path' inside the fire, which is 5'-long per level and
ten feet wide, around him. The caster and his comrades, as named during the
casting, can walk through the fire without any damage. If thus cast, the
spell will last at most for one round per level.

Due to the extreme stretch on the caster's body, he must rest for three
rounds (effectively, his strength becomes 3 for this period).

If directly cast against fire creatures, these must save vs death or be
destroyed.

Fire clerics may be offended by the use of this spell, especially if cast
with no obvious reason or benefit.

 20.ELIMINATE WATER (EVAPORATE)         School: Alteration
                                        Sphere: Elemental Fire
       Level: 5          Range : 10ft/lv          Sav.throw: special
   Cast time: 5          Effect: special          Duration : 1rd/2lv
  Components: V S

The fire cleric uses this spell to turn water into steam. The maximum amount
of water that can be transformed this way is 75 gallons per level.

Creatures living inside the water must save vs. death each round or die. They
will eventually die if they cannot breath air or whatever exists in the area.
Those who approach or stand within 10 feet of the boiling water suffer 4d6hp,
save vs breath for half. Those inside the steam are burned for 8d6hp (those
on a vessel for example).

The water to be affected must be gathered together in a defined mass. The
spell has no significant effect against moisture etc (it just evaporates one
or two drops).

If cast at creatures from the plane of water, these must save vs death at -3
or become vaporized; if they make the save, they take 3d8hp if they are near
a source of water or 6d8hp if not.

Water clerics may be offended by the use of this spell, especially if cast
with no obvious reason or benefit.

 21.FIRE GAZE                           School: Enchantment
                                        Sphere: Elemental Fire
       Level: 5          Range : 30 feet          Sav.throw: neg.
   Cast time: 5          Effect: special          Duration : 3rd/lv
  Components: V S

This spell turns the caster's eyes into small fire globes. All creatures that
meet the caster's gaze must save vs spells at -4 penalty or be charmed as per
the spell (but those immune to charm person are NOT immune to this spell,
too).

The target creature must be intelligent and have the ability to see. If the
save is failed, the caster can try to direct some or all of its actions
during the spell. Otherwise the creature becomes immediately hostile.

To determine who meets the gaze of the caster, use the rules for gaze
attacks.

 22.INVISIBILITY TO FLYING CREATURES    School: Illusion/Phantasm
                                        Sphere: Elemental Air
       Level: 5          Range : touch            Sav.throw: special
   Cast time: 5          Effect: 1 creature       Duration : 2rd/lv
  Components: V S M

This spell renders the creature touched invisible by all other creatures that
have the ability to fly. This includes all such creatures, regardless of
level, hit dice or intelligence.

Creatures with the ability to fly include all these that can fly, hover or
simply levitate by their own power, without help from another creature. This
includes insects, birds or even wizards employing the fly spell. Creatures
with a 'flying' movement rate are always included. It is not necessary for
the creature to fly, in order for the spell to take place. If the creature
loses the ability to fly during the spell, he begins to see the recipient.

Creatures with an intelligence of 17 or higher receive a saving throw vs
spells to disbelieve the spell automatically.

The component is 2gp of gold dust, sprinkled over the recipient.

 23.LOCATE ELEMENT                      School: Divination
                                        Sphere: All elements
       Level: 5          Range : 0                Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 3 rounds   Effect: 50yd/lv radius   Duration : instant
  Components: V S M

The caster can use this spell to locate particular emanations of the
elements.

 * The air cleric can try to locate a specific gas or vapor or the existence
of air at a given place.

 * The earth cleric can find metals, minerals, gems etc.

 * Fire clerics can detect the temperature of a given place or whether the
element of fire had touched the place in the recent past (1 day per level).

 * Water clerics can locate bodies of water or other liquids in the area of
effect.

In all cases, the area of effect is a circular area with a radius of 50 yards
per experience level of the caster. He learns the answer at the end of the
casting. The spell cannot be fooled by illusions or other spells of less than
6th level.

The material component is some of the material sought (a gas container, a
flask of water, a gem or piece of iron or a burning stick for example).

 24.MELD INTO NATURE                    School: Alteration
                                        Sphere: All elements
       Level: 5          Range : 30 yards         Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 5          Effect: caster           Duration : 1rd/lv
  Components: V S

Using this spell, the caster can meld into his natural surroundings and thus
making himself invisible to other creatures. In order to cast the spell there
must be a sufficient amount of the appropriate element available: rock or
other similar material for the earth cleric, a fair-sized fire, a water pool
or air for the air cleric. Druids can use the element they have major access
to and templars can use any element. The elemental material can be as far as
30 yards away from the caster at the time of the casting.

If the caster melds into earth, fire or water, he makes himself totally
invisible for the duration of the spell. He can be detected by magical means
such as detect invisibility or true seeing, though. If he melds into air, he
does not go invisible but rather transforms into an easily detected aerial
form (clearly visible outline, blurs surroundings, lifts small items etc).

When inside the elemental material, the caster can see, hear and smell
everything in range. He can even cast spells, although verbal communication
with other beings is not possible. The caster can make any spells cast to
appear coming from any point within a 30-yard radius from him, thus avoiding
being detected by careful watchers.

The elemental material can be harmed normally, such as choping rocks to
pieces, extinguishing fires or draining water pools. If the caster melds in
the air, any attack against the aerial form causes normal damage (remember,
it is very easy to detect this form).

 25.MINOR ELEMENTAL SHAPECHANGE         School: Alteration
                                        Sphere: All elements
       Level: 5          Range : 0                Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: caster           Duration : 1rd/lv
  Components: V S

This spell enables the caster to assume a special 'elemental form' for a
limited period of time.

The caster becomes a lesser elemental of his devoted element; druids can
become elementals of any sphere in which they have at least minor access;
templars can become any elemental. The transformation takes place in one
round, during which the caster can be attacked and hit automatically by any
weapon.

When in elemental form, the caster has the abilities of that elemental. His
hit points, thac0 and saving throws do not change, however. If a dispel magic
is successfully cast upon him or he is caught in a defiler magic area, the
caster will return to his natural form and will die if he fails a system
shock roll.

When the caster returns normally to his own form, he regains 1d12hp.

 26.PROTECTION FROM EARTH               School: Divination
                                        Sphere: Elemental Earth
       Level: 5          Range : touch            Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: 1 creature       Duration : 1rd/lv
  Components: V S M

The earth cleric can rend a creature immune to all attacks based on earth.
The spell protects against creatures from the elemental plane of earth, from
 or metal weapons or from attacks made using earth (sand, dust, rocks and the
like). The recipient of the spell can breath normally and does not suffocate
if buried below ground or in the Sea of Silt. If the cleric is 13th level or
more, the recipient can totally ignore the element of earth. He can pass
through earth (stone, metal, rocks, dust, silt etc) and move with no
hindrance at all.

The material component of the spell is a gem, of at least 1gp value, eaten by
the recipient during the casting. It vanishes after the spell expires.

 27.PROTECTION FROM WATER             School: Abjuration
                                      Sphere: Elemental Water

       Level: 5          Range : touch            Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: 1 creature       Duration : 1rd/lv + 2rd
  Components: V S M

The water cleric can protect against water, rain, acid and all water- based
creatures (elementals etc). The creature is also protected against steam and
can breath underwater. The protection includes normal and magical attacks. If
the caster is at least 13th level, the spell also acts as free action
underwater.

The material component of the spell is a flask of water poured over the
recipient.

 28.SITE WARNING                        School: Abjuration
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 5          Range : 0                Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 hour     Effect: 10 yd/lv radius  Duration : permanent
  Components: V S M

This spell must be cast on a specific, circular area. It affects all of
intelligence 2 or higher with no saving throw. Undead are immune to it.

All those who enter receive a clear mental warning not to proceed. It is
faint at the edge of the circle but it grows stronger as they approach the
center. The subjects have an overwhelming feeling of danger but they are
otherwise unaffected: the spell cannot impede the progression of a strong
willed, determined individual. Language is not a barrier for this is purely
an emotional, wordless message.

The material component of the spell is a gem of at least 20gp value. It must
be placed in the centre of the area and then blessed by the caster. The gem
radiates a pale, green aura which dimly illuminates the surroundings.

At half a foot of the gem the feeling of danger is nearly insufferable and
will affect all creatures regardless of intelligence. To get closer one must
save vs petrification and make a strength check both with a -5 penalty. Those
who fail in one of these are paralyzed with terror for 1d4 rounds and cannot
get closer until they gain a level.

Small projectiles (hurled rocks, arrows etc) and poles wielded by other
creatures cannot touch the gem. The caster can hide or protect the gem with
other spells as the spell ends at once if the gem is disturbed in any way.

The spell is usually used to prevent entrance to dangerous areas. Only one of
higher level than the caster when he cast it can dispel the warning.

 29.QUEST FOR NATURE                    School: Enchantment/Charm
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 5          Range : 30 yards         Sav.throw: neg.
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: 1 creature       Duration : special
  Components: V S M

This is a specialized version of the quest spell, usable by druids. The
caster requires the subject creature never to harm the natural environment
and protect it as best as it can.

Every time the subject creature purposely harms the environment or does
nothing to prevent it from harm, he loses 1 point from his saving throws.

The caster is always responsible for the use of such powerful magic. Simply
casting special quests to gain an advantage in a casual battle may bring
disfavour upon him, including immediate failure of this spell.

The spell lasts as long as the caster wills. Like the quest spell, it cannot
be dispelled; it can be removed by a priest of the same religion and of equal
or higher level than the caster.

The material component of the spell is the druid's holy symbol.

 30.SUMMON FLYING STEED                 School: Conjuration/Summoning
                                        Sphere: Elemental Air
       Level: 5          Range : 1 mile           Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 5 rounds   Effect: special          Duration : 1 turn/lv
  Components: V S M

The air cleric uses this spell to summon a flying creature to serve him as a
mount. The creature must be intelligent (but not above average) and should be
in the area when the casting takes place (the DM decides on the chance).

The creature will then be bound to serve the cleric as best as it can. It
will carry other persons, if it is able to do so (a roc, for example, can
carry many).

The caster has a limited telepathic link with the creature and can order it
with simple mental commands. He must, however, ride it all the time; the
creature will not move away from him. The spell does not in any way enhance
the abilities of the mount or its intelligence.

At the end of the duration of the spell, the creature will land for the rider
to dismount. If there is no place to land, the creature will fly to the
nearest land and leave its rider there. If the cleric refuses to dismount,
the creature will attack him.

Casting this spell with the intention of killing the animal is an evil act.
The material component of the spell is a gold piece and herbs that must be
burned at the time of the casting.

 31.SUMMON LAND POWER                   School: Alteration
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 5          Range : 0                Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 hour     Effect: caster           Duration : 2 hours/level
  Components: V S

By means of this spell a druid can improve his strength, constitution,
dexterity or charisma to 22.

The druid must have a great need to cast the spell, always related to his
role as protector of the natural environment. He must meditate for one hour
and communicate with his patron land spirit, explaining in detail the reasons
he wants the extraordinary ability. Defeat of a powerful defiler (10th or
greater level) is an adequate reason.

At the end of the hour the druid gains the augmented ability if the spirit of
the land agrees on the importance of the task. The spirit of the land may
grant additional points if the situation is serious enough, at the DM's
discretion (the spirit, being a sort of deity, can grant any number of points
in any ability or abilities but this is very rare).

The effects of this spell cannot be dispelled. Further, the augmented ability
cannot be modified, either positive or negative, by any normal means such as
drain attacks, use of magical items etc, since it is the result of divine
intervention.

 32.TRACE DEFILER                       School: Divination
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 5          Range : 0                Sav.throw: special
   Cast time: 1 turn     Effect: special          Duration : special
  Components: V S M

This divination is cast on the ash remains of a particular defiler. When
completed, the caster may get an image of the defiler and her general
direction and distance. If the caster is 13th level or higher, he could also
learn the name of the defiler (her common name or nickname).

The ash must be mixed with water, two flasks per level of the defiler. The
caster could very well not know her level. If the water is insufficient, the
spell fails and the ash and water disappear. That particular ash cannot be
used again to trace the same defiler, regardless of what remains of it.

The base chance of success is 30%. This is modified as follows:

  +5% per level of the caster, -2% per level of the defiler.
  +2% per level of the defiling spell.
  +30% if the caster has already seen the defiler.
  +5% per flask of water over the required quantity.
  -20% per day separating this divination and the defiling casting.

 33.ENDURANCE                           School: Abjuration
                                        Sphere: Cosmos
       Level: 6          Range : touch            Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 turn     Effect: 1 creature       Duration : special
  Components: V S M

This spell confers extraordinary endurance to one creature, lasting one day
per level of the caster beyond the 9th. During this time, the recipient is
treated as having the "endurance" proficiency. In addition, it can fail a
saving throw only on a natural 1.

The material component is a piece of any turtle shell and a precious stone,
worth at least 10gp, which vanishes at the end of the spell duration. The
recipient must keep the stone on himself to get the benefits.

 34.ELEMENTAL SHAPECHANGE               School: Alteration
                                        Sphere: All elements

       Level: 7          Range : 0                Sav.throw: none
   Cast time: 1 round    Effect: caster           Duration : 1rd/lv
  Components: V S

This spell enables the caster to assume a special 'elemental form' for a
limited period of time.

The caster can become a lesser elemental from a sphere he has at least minor
access or a standard elemental from a sphere he has major access. The lesser
elemental will have 6 hit dice and the standard elemental will have 12 hit
dice (roll for hit points for each casting, adding any constitution bonuses
to each dice). Hit dice affect the hit points, thac0 and ac, but the caster
retains his own saving throw numbers.

The change takes place within a single round, during which the caster can be
attacked and be hit automatically by any kind of attack. If he dies in the
elemental form, he immediately returns to his own form allowing for possible
resurrection.

When in elemental form the caster gains the abilities of the elemental. He is
immune to exposures to that element and can only be hit by enchanted weapons.
If a dispel magic is successfully cast on him, he returns to his original
form immediately and dies if he fails a system shock roll.

When the caster returns normally to his original form, he gains 2d12hp.