Subject: ADD: Useful Divination Spells and other neat tricks
From: [email-masked] (Colin Roald)
Date: 11 May 90 16:09:07 GMT

All right, I'm using a bunch of the spells posted a couple of weeks ago, so I 
figure I'll return the favour, with some of my own.  I rather like them--neat 
utility spells that are most useful outside combat.  Feel free to use them--
change the wizard's names and let your favourite NPC wizards invent them. Hey, 
every wizard needs a couple of personal spells to make him interesting.

I hate to be a drag, but these are personal use only.
      (c) copyright 1990 Colin Roald.

GUILDA'S TREACHEROUS TRIPWIRE (1)     
sch ench; rng tch; cmp vsm; dur 1 min/lvl; ct 1; AoE 1 tripwire; save neg
One wire (up to 10' long) can be stretched across a hall, or such.  The wire 
becomes camouflaged--undetectable w/o find traps.  The first creature to attempt
to pass must save vs wands (add dex def. adj) or be caught when the wire springs
free.  The wire will twine tightly about the ankles of its victim, tripping him.
It must then be tediously untangled (or sawed loose) which will take at least 30
sec under ideal conditions.  If hacked loose in combat, it will take 1 round, 
and the victim will take 1d4 dmg unless an enchanted blade is used (which will 
cut effortlessly).  Note that wire is required, but not consumed. The material 
component is a small spring.

GUILDA'S SNEAKABOUT LIGHT (2)
sch alt; rng 5'; cmp vsm; dur 10min+ 1min/lvl; CT 2; AoE 5' rad; save none
Creates a dim, floating light of variable intensity that follows the caster.  At
its brightest, it is enough to read with good eyesight, and it can be
extinguished and restored at will during the duration.  No light produced by the
spell escapes the 5' rad, preventing the caster from being given away by his
light--so this spell is ideal for thieves.  Note that background light pentrates
the AoE freely, so the caster is in no way concealed by this spell.

RHUVA'S SPELLSCAN (3)
sch div; rng 0; cmp vsm; dur 4hr+10min/lvl; ct 1min; AoE 10yd/lvl rad; save none
Provided the caster is conscious and within the area of effect, he will be made 
aware of any spell-casting conducted in that area.  The particular spell cast 
is not made known, but the location of the wizard is, precisely if the caster is
familiar with the area, generally otherwise.  The notification is sufficient to 
disrupt casting in progress, unless it is consciously suppressed before casting.
(If suppressed, caster does not realize the scan was triggered.)  Material 
component is a handful of crystal dust.

JUSTIN'S MENTAL MAP (4)
sch div; rng 1 mile; cmp vsm; dur perm; ct 10min; AoE 1 mile rad; save none
Outdoors only, this spell gives the caster an aerial view of the countryside 
within 1 mile of the caster.  Only large features visible from above are noted,
like rivers, woods, fields, large buildings, and clearings, but not people, 
caves, small streams, or the like. Material component is powdered pineal gland.

RHUVA'S COUNTER-SCRY (4)
sch div; rng 0; cmp vsm; dur 8hr; ct 4; AoE 20yd rad; save special
The caster will automatically detect any scrying attempt in the AoE.  The scryer
must make a save vs spells to realize that the scrying is being tampered with.
If he does not immediately terminate the scrying, the caster of the counter-scry
gets a clear image of the spy and a general location.  He can cast any ranged 
spells through the link at the scryer, who receives all normal saves.  The 
caster of the counter-scry can also simply jolt the scryer, causing the 
connection to be terminated.  The detection of a scrying attempt will interrupt 
spell-casting.  
(I suggest that "detect scrying" be made a level 2 spell, with a more limited 
duration and vaguer description of the scryer.)

RHUVA'S TRACKER (4)
sch div; rng 10yd/lvl; cmp vsm; dur 1 day; ct 4; aoe 1 creature/object; save neg
The mage casts this spell, and hurls a small carved scarab at a target within 
range.  A creature or object in a creature's possesion gets a save to avoid the
scarab. It clings invisibly to its victim, noticed only in a determined search.
The caster then always knows where the victim is (distance & direction), 
provided it is within one mile/lvl, and the target is not enclosed in lead.
The tracker can be renewed each morning by recasting the spell.

VANDER'S LIBRARIAN (4)
sch c/s; rng 20 yds; cmp vs; dur 6hr; CT 1 min; aoe 1 minor spirit; save none
This spell conjures a minor knowledge spirit to search for books and references
for the wizard.  It can search for titles, specific references, or general 
subject matter, finding books in the time it would take a reasonably skilled 
librarian (depends on case).  The wizard is freed to concentrate on more 
interesting matters, so this spell roughly doubles a wizard's research 
efficiency.

RHUVA'S WIZARD STOMPER (5)       (A must for every paranoid king!)
sch div/evoc; rng 0; cmp vsm; dur 4hr+10min/lvl; ct 5min; aoe 10yd/lvl; save spc
Designed to prevent the casting of spells in the area of effect, the wizard 
stomper produces a nearly uncontrollable surge of energy into a wizard who 
attempts to draw power for a spell.  The victim must save vs spells at -6.  
Failure means the spell is aborted and the caster takes 1d6 dmg per level of the
spell attempted.  If the save is made, the spell can be cast at +1 on all damage
dice, but at double normal casting time.
If a wizard has been stomped before, and knows what to expect, the save is only 
at -3.
Material component is a handful of ruby dust worth at least 25 gp.

JUSTIN'S SKIMMER (6)
sch evoc; rng 20 yd; cmp vsm; dur 1/2hr/lvl; ct 6; aoe 1 skimmer; save none
An improved form of Tenser's floating disc, the skimmer is designed as a flying
vehicle for the caster.  The wizard reclines in a molded seat at the centre of 
the 3' radius disc.  The "wings" each have room for one person, or a comparable 
volume of cargo.  It can lift 50lbs per level of the caster.  The skimmer can 
move at speeds up to 25 mph (approx move 70), and has maneuverability class A
at speeds less than move 21.  The caster is protected from acceleration, 
passengers are not.  When stopped, the skimmer can rotate on a dime.  The caster
has full cover from below.  The skimmer can take 5hp/lvl of caster.  Ramming,
it does (move/3)d6 damage to both itself and the target.  Only the caster can 
control the skimmer; it hovers motionless if he is unconscious.  The skimmer is 
a stable casting platform.

Well, I hope you like.  Have fun,
  the hobbit.