Subject: Spells of Manchra #1
From: [email-masked] (Mark A. (Ninjabutler) Robinson)
Date: 7 May 89 23:20:58 GMT

A few months ago, I wrote up these spells, intending to post them to the net,
but circumstances and coursework prevented me from doing so.  Now, finally,
I present the first installment of spells from my AD&D world of Manchra.

Comments on these spells would be appreciated -- not flames !!!
  *donning the ever-present asbestos suit*

Hope you like them!  (hope you understand them  :-)

The following information is the property of Mark A. Robinson.
Copyright 1989.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enhance illusion is attributed to the deceased mage/illusionist Scaurlin
Oberlin, who died in a magical duel with a grey slaad he summoned and
subsequently released.  This is reputedly the only spell Scaurlin ever wrote in
his once-promising career.

Enhance Illusion (Alteration)

Level:  3                 Components:  V,S
Range:  0                 Casting Time:  3 segments
Duration: 1 round/level   Saving Throw:  None
Area of Effect:  One illusion in 3" radius

Explanation/Description:  This spell is one way for illusionists to add actual
'substance' to their spells.  Up to two rounds before casting an illusion
(notably phantasmal force, improved phantasmal force or spectral force), the
illusionist casts this spell on the area in which the illusion is to initially
appear.  Once cast, the illusion then does 10% of the actual damage that it
would do if it were real if the victim made a saving throw against it, and is
treated as normal with respect to armor class, attacks, etc., if the victim
failed the saving throw and doesn't recognize it as an illusion.  The illusion
also becomes armor class 10, and gains 10% of the hit points it would normally
have; however, illusionary creatures may never have more combined hit dice than
the caster.  If the illusion is not cast in the enhanced area within 2 rounds
the former spell will be wasted.  Multiple enhance illusions on one illusion
will cancel each other.  This spell can also be used in conjunction with shadow
monsters, demi-shadow monsters or shades, adding 10% more realism to that
already inherent in those spells, and lowering the perceived armor class by one
point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Root is one of the special prayers granted unto Saint Timorel, patron of
druidic groves and retreats.

Root (Enchantment/Charm)

Level:  3                  Components:  V,S,M
Range:  Touch              Casting Time:  1 round
Duration:  2 rounds/level  Saving Throw:  Special
Area of Effect:  One creature

Explanation/Description:  By means of this spell, the druid causes a willing
recipient's feet, paws or hooves to be firmly rooted to the ground, becoming
immovable.  The creature gains an extra saving throw vs. paralyzation at +4 to
avoid being thrown back, picked up, knocked down or blown around.  Success
means the creature remains standing; failure indicates the situation is to be
handled normally, with another saving throw if allowed.  The recipient may
'root' and 'unroot' at will, as long as it occurs within the duration of the
spell.  Rooting or unrooting takes 1 segment.  The recipient may not perform
any action requiring legwork (walking, running, etc.) while rooted.
Optionally, the spell may be cast upon an unwilling subject (who must be
touched by the caster and fail a save vs. spells at -2 to be affected).  Unlike
the caster, the victim has no control over the spell once touched and is
anchored until released by the druid, the root duration expires or it is
dispelled.  The material components for this spell are mistletoe and a small
piece of root from a large tree, preferably oak.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Auralon's Deflective Plates is a spell Auralon (a wizard in my realm) devised
in his spare time while serving under the Mageoclave, and before becoming a
member of that group.

Auralon's Deflective Plates (Evocation)

Level:  5            Components:  V,S,M
Range:  0            Casting Time:  5 segments
Duration:  1 turn/level (see below)
Saving Throw:  none
Area of Effect:  Personal

Explanation/Description:  Casting of this spell creates up to five glowing,
circular plates of force which hang in the air in a 3-foot radius around the
spellcaster.  These plates move to deflect magical energies aimed at the
spellcaster of which the latter is aware.  The plates are effective against
magical rays, beams, bolts and missiles from both spells and magic items.  The
target of these offensive spells has only a cumulative 15% chance per plate to
be protected against totally accurate spells (such as magic missile), but a 19%
chance per plate of avoiding magic requiring a "to hit" roll (such as lightning
bolt).  Upon impact with the plates, the offensive magic is deflected at full
strength in a random direction away from the target (roll a d4 for height: 1 or
2=same height, 3 or 4=up; and a d6 for direction relative to the defender:
1=left, 2=left and front, 3=up in front or back at rival caster, 4=right and
front, 5=right, 6=either straight up or is absorbed and destroys a plate).  The
plates can be brought down by disintegrate or dispel magic, impact with a rod
of cancellation or shatter (destroys one plate), or a limited wish or wish.
The plates do not protect against non-magical attacks or magical attacks of a
type not listed above.  At the end of the spell's duration, the plates
disappear two per round until all are gone.  The material components for this
spell are tiny disks cut from 50 g.p. gems, one for each plate to be invoked;
the disks are used up in the casting.

=============================================================================
   V  \   [email-masked]
=============================================================================