Subject: ORIGAMI ANIME SPELL
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 93 07:59:36

Here is the spell.

        ============================================================

                        ORIGAMI ANIME

         Wizard Level 4 (School undecided)
         Casting time: 1 turn
         Components:  V, S, M
         Range: Special
         Area of effect: 50'r
         Duration: one hour per level of caster
         Save: -

This spell allows the caster to animate man-sized paper constructs that have
been designed using the art of origami.  If the caster has created these by
his/her hands, 10 constructs may be animated with one casting of this spell,
but if the work of another is animated, then only 5 may be affected.  This
spell allows the normal movement functions of the creature so depicted to be
enacted by the construct...therefore, a humanoid construct would walk, sit,
stand, lie down, kneel, etc., whereas a bird could fly or walk, or any water
creature to swim...of course, the paper would have to be heavy-duty or it would
become soggy and fall apart, ending the spell for that particular construct. 
Each construct my carry one person or thing, up to 150 lbs. on land or air, 200
lbs on/in water (buoyancy).  Since runes and such must be entraced upon these
constructs prior to the casting of the spell, if the caster (or origamist-?) is
also skilled in calligraphy, then the calligraphy can be used to achieve this,
producing a 50% bonus to the parameters:  number of constructs now is 7/15,
75'r allowance, 1.5hrs/lvl of caster duration, and weight allowance of 225lbs
land/air and 300lbs water.  (The range value of special means that any number
of constructs up to his maximum number of constructs that the caster touches
after casting the spell within the spell's duration will be animated...so if he
has one at home that flies, he may animate one to carry him home on land, get
home, then animate the one at home for the remainder of the duration of the
spell in order to fly.)
 The animations are treated as armor class 6 unless their speed improves them
to something better.  They do not attack on the behalf of the caster or his
party; they are merely transport.  These constructs are also particularly
vulnerable to fire -- quadruple damage.  Slash weapons do double damage. 
Piercing weapons do almost normal damage, -2 from the total.  Bludgeoning,
bashing types do no damage; the paper merely gives way beneath the weapon then
springs back.
 If the caster wishes, he/she may undertake to simply create (have created) a
large, all-purpose party-carrying sized animation...the number of passengers
the creation carries would be subtracted from the total possible number of
creations he could have animated...so if the limit is five, he may animate a
for person dragon structure and a one-person flying serpent creation, or
whatever.  The number of hit points determined necessary to destroy a construct
is equal to:
        2x the level of caster + 3x the number of people it can carry + one of
the following:

        a) 3 points if the origamist made them; no calligraphy involved
        b) 5 points if the mage made them; no calligraphy involved
        c) 7 points if the mage did either:
                1) the origami, someone else did the calligraphy
                2) the calligraphy, someone else did the origami
        d) 10 points if the mage did both the origami and the calligraphy

 Maneuverability and flying class, base move, etc., are all determined as per
that which it mimics.  For every pair of passengers it can carry over the
first,reduce the value by one category, (180 deg. maneuverability => 120 deg.)
and by one value (base move 12 to base move 11)  This means reduce it once if
it can carry 3-4 people, twice if 5-6, thrice at 7-8, etc.  The constructs can
be given simple instructions, such as "Go to CastleTowne" or "Fly north until
dusk, then land at the closest village".  Without such guidelines, the mage
must remain in conscious control of the construct; it will collapse, waiting,
if not.  He can control the speed up to it's maximum, etc., at whim, change its
course, all as long as the spell is in effect.  He may renew the spell for any
construct within the area of effect - any construct previously activated that
is still within 50' (or 75') of himself - these need not be touched in order to
renew the duration.  Leaving the area of effect reduces all remaining duration
by 1/2 for that particular construct.  
 Note that it takes 3 full days plus one day per passenger size of the
construct to make one; a like amount of time for the calligraphy, if used.  No
other activity may be pursued besides food/water/sleep at this time.  Note also
that one need not be skilled in origami to make an origami construct, it will
simply be less effective is some fashion, but that it *IS* mandatory to have
someone skilled in calligraphy or that portion of the spell will *NOT*
function; in fact, it may be detrimental, causing a reduction or even backfire
in this instance (The Killer Swan of Animated Attack!), if someone _unskilled_
attempts to scrawl all over the construct.
 Bonuses/Penalties may be given for the following, at discretion:
        a)  Special inks for the calligraphy may grant bonus speed
        b)  Heavy-duty paper may have bonus hit points, crepe fewer
        c)  Various colored papers may be used, giving life-like effect --
        viewers must save vs. spells or believe it to be real (Wis applies)
        d)  Hasty cut-and-paste type creations may be made in 1/3 normal time,
        with no calligraphy, and be severely restricted (no more than 3
        creations/passengers, 1/4 duration, etc.)
        e)  One spell level per experience level of caster may be included in
        the creation of the construct by using scrolls as part of it; the 
        caster may cast the spells as if he/she were reading the scroll while
        in control of and in contact with that particular construct; this
        doesn't take away from the mage's concentration if trying to maintain
        moment-to-moment control of the construct.  These spells do not 
        disappear after casting, but rather, become a permanent part of the
        construct.  Usable only after Origami Anime is in effect on the
        construct AND caster is in contact with creature.
        f) Extra abilities may be given to those constructs whose papers had
        been soaked and dried in various potions.  Such as Fire Resistance,
        etc.

        =================================================================

Jason

               |                            *    *         *   *      
        \      |      /                        *     D    *        
          \    |    /        It's a matter       *           *  
            \  |  /         of perspective.   *      *   *      *   
       -  -  - o -  -  -                         *          *            
         /^/^/^\^\^\^\                          /^/^/^\^\^\^\

Date:         Sat, 19 Jun 1993 12:45:59 LCL
From: Jason Hoogervorst <[email-masked]>
Subject:      ADND-L:STUFF
To: Multiple recipients of list ADND-L <[email-masked]>

===== SPELL:  THE PRESENCES =============================

A Version:  Holy Presence        (*G)
Reversion:  Unholy Presence      (*E)
Obversion:  Presence of Order    (LN)
Perversion:  Presence of Entropy  (CN)
Inversion:  Presence of Nature   (NN)

Level 7: Combat, Guardian, Protection, Sun
V, S, M // Range: 20' // Area of Effect:  30' + 1'/lvl radius sphere
Casting Time: 5 rounds // Duration: 7 rounds // Save: Special

This spell generates a brilliantly radiant image of the casting priest's holy
symbol. No matter from which direction the image is seen, it always appears to
be viewed from the front. The image requires a powdered gem of not less than
25,000gp value, which is consumed entirely. The color of the symbol is
dependent on the alignment of the priest, as well as his strength of faith.
White, silver, and gold are taken for goodly aligned clerics, for example,
whereas rust, midnight blue, and blood-red types for those who practice the
evil religions. Neutrals can expect to see yellow, orange, or, in the case of
the true neutral, who summons the holiness and balanced stability of nature in
this casting, green. These are ethereal, wispy, and pale colors, as if the
image were made of smoke or flame.

The first, immediate effects are ones that take place to affect undead.  Only
good/evil clerics may specifically target undead with this spell...LN, CN, or
NN priests may only affect them with the "in general" aspects.

(Maximum 25HD of undead may be affected by either alignment, lowest first, and
any fraction left over can still affect the next creature if at least half of
its hit dice can be affected.)

GOOD clerics cause the following:   1. All undead 5HD or less must save vs.
death at -2 or disintegrate to dust, 6HD or more must save vs. paralysis at -2
or be rendered immobile for the duration of the spell 2. All mindless undead
still present must then roll vs. spells at -2, or forget their instructions
and
wander aimlessly, while sentient undead must roll vs. spells at -2 to remain
conscious 3. While bathed in the light of the Presence, (in the A. of E.), all
undead must take 5d4 + caster's level in damage per round and fight at -2 to
hit

EVIL clerics impose the following: 1. All undead are immediately restored to
full hit points [and PSP's if applicable,] plus recieve a bonus amount of
points equal to the caster's level as a reserve from which to subtract future
damage. 2. All mindless undead, even should they have had instructions from a
previous, higher-level cleric, follow the caster for the duration of the
spell..with mental contact; the sentient undead are compulsed to bodyguard the
caster...however, they are free to act in their own will underneath this one
restriction. 3. While bathed in the light of the Presence, all the undead
fight
at +2 to hit, and inflict an extra amount of damage equal to 1/2 the caster's
level.

Next, the General effects of the spell take place...these are separate from
the
effects vs. undead...keep them separate (unless you want an even more powerful
spell...)  When ANYONE casts this spell, the living are affected as follows:

(Maximum of 30HD of living opponents can be affected; lowest first, and a
fraction left over still affects the next creature if at least half of that
creature's hit dice can be affected)

1. Diametrically Opposed aligned opponents take immediate damage at the rate
of
5d4 + caster's level every round, and will continue to do so until they either
leave the area of effect, or the spell expires or is dispelled. The affected
know what is causing the damage unless under charm or feeblemind or somesuch.
When the true neutral casts this spell, everyone of any extreme alignment
(those without a neutral component in either half, diagonal from the true
neutral segment of the alignment chart) takes 3d4 + caster's level every round
of the spell's duration.

2. Those who are not diametrically opposite, but are still opposite as far as
good and evil are concerned still take damage, but only when the spell is
initially cast...3d6 + caster's level in damage the first complete round the
spell is in effect. The true neutral version of this affects only those with
one-half of a neutral alignment in this way (horizontal or vertical with the
true neutral spot on the alignment chart). When any other neutral casts it,
this damage applies to those who are opposed to his non-neutral segment of his
alignment that is not already diametrically opposed (the "knight's move away"
spot on the alignment chart).

*---SOME OPTIONAL EFFECTS---*
(Mix and match any two other effects to your taste.)

1. The caster is given +2 to everything: hit, damage, AC, saves, stat checks,
turning, etc. Those with a bow have unerring aim with normal shots, called
shots get a 0 penalty. Anyone attacking the casting cleric while the spell is
in effect suffers a -1 to hit and -1 AC.

2. Any opponent with magic resistance loses some of their magic resistance in
order to break this spell...diametrically opposed penalty of 20%, identical
alignment penalty of 5%, all others 10%. (Ex.: A LG priest casts Holy
Presence.
A CE Demon of 25% MR is penalized 20%, and therefore is effectively MR of 5%
for the breaking of this spell. A NE priest casts Unholy Presence. A CG
warrior
with an intelligent sword bestowing 15% MR is penalized 10%, and therefore is
effectively 5% to break the spell)

3. Any other spell, or item used to give a spell effect, cast or used by the
priest at this time does maximum effect. Some may even be doubly effective, as
determined by the DM.

4. NO Outer plane gate may enter the area of effect unless it matches in
alignment with the caster. This spell operates in Astral, Ethereal, and the
first layer of all the Outer planes...at reduced efficiency to be determined
by
the DM.

5. An opposing cleric of at least 4 levels higher than the caster is required
to dispel the Presence in effect. Two diametrically opposing Presences
overlapping areas of effect cause a vortex to consume all matter contained
therein within a fraction of a second...and causes a 10% chance that one of
the
involved deities will send an envoy to investigate such a major disturbance.
If
each side successfully sends such an entity, the event could become highly
escalated...Any other Presences may overlap, combining or cancelling their
benefits/penalties.

A few notes:

**The spell does take into account that people of differing alignments make up
the caster's party, and are counted as allies and friends of the caster...on
this point, the spell only acts against those who were counted as foes by the
caster at the moment the casting of the spell is complete...anyone who was in
the caster's party is exempt from the spell, EVEN SHOULD THEY TURN ON THE
PARTY
WHILE THE SPELL IS IN EFFECT! The exception would be if that person attacked
the caster, then they would get the -1 penalties at that time if that rule is
used.

**Also, it may be that the spell will fail those who have been less devout in
their practices...either not come at all, or backfire and affect those of his
alignment doubly, or somesuch. Increase the chance of being noticed by the
deity to 5% while this spell is in effect--things would have to be pretty
serious to cause such a casting, or the cleric is showing off and needs
chastisement.

**Even though the wording in this spell description about its machinations
seems tedious, it really isn't too hard to see the orders of precedences in
alignments when you look at the chart and take into consideration the medians
and extremes and such. If it seems too complicated, adjust it. I simply tried
to take a look at the fact that more damage should take place the further you
are from the originating alignment...and that the distance from LG to CE is
further than from NE to LN, and should take more damage. An attempt to keep
things relative to each other.