Subject: Re: New Spells
From: [email-masked] (Sarien Loth-Lorien)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 16:00:30 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

Well, I created a spell called Battery a couple of weeks back (2 months)
that wasn't too combat oriented.  Granted it was useful in combat, but this
was not it's intended purpose.  I decided to make the spell when my high 
level cleric needed to enter the Abyss during the Bloodstone Adventures 
(H 1-4).  Deciding that the rule about not getting back spells above 
2nd level (our DM was quite hard-nosed, so I couldn't even get 3rd level 
spells back when not near/connected with my god) was really far too nasty
for our party (mostly fighters with only 2 clerics - 1 of which could barely
cast 5th level spells - multiclassed with fighter).  Therefore I gave myself
a way to recharge when on the fly.  Yes this was helpful in dealing with 
any attacks which (always) tended to happen immediately after a major battle,
but its primary use was to help the party when on other planes.

For those of you who missed it, here is the spell Battery.

Begalund's Battery
Level:		 7		
Sphere:		 Protection
Range:		 Touch
Components: 	 V,S,M
Duration:	 Special	
Area of Effect:  Special
Casting Time: 	 Up to 1 day
Saving Throw:	 N/A

	The battery spell allows the caster to store spell energy for use at
a later time.  The caster creates a temporary magic item called the battery.
Within this battery he/she can store 1 spell level per casting level.  Charges
(as these stored levels are called) are semi-permanent meaning that they
will remain until dispelled.  Anti-magic shells and similar magics will only
negate the use of a battery while such are within their area of effect, the
battery will not be dispelled.
	Stored levels are withdrawn from the spells the Priest currently has
memorized, with the highest level spells being removed first.  In other words,
this spell is best cast when the priest is not expecting to be needing his
high level spells.
	Using a bejuryl stone (or other DM chosen expensive object) of 
1000 gp worth per charge to be stored (14th level = 14 charges = 14,000 gp),
the priest casts this spell and then begins to power the battery by losing
1 spell level per hour (so the above gem would take 14 hours to charge) into
the gem.  Spells which are partially removed cannot be cast, and if the 
battery is fully charged with part of a spell remaining, then that partial 
spell is also lost.  The charging process will never take more than 24 hours
no matter how many charges are needed.
	The charges are then stored within the gem and can be recalled at
anytime in the future.  The caster must use the battery to cast his spells,
and the charges can only be used to cast spells that the priest currently has
memorized - it cannot be used to cast whatever spell the priest wants, and it
certainly cannot be used to cast a spell outside the priest's allowed spheres.
Any number of charges up to 7 can be withdrawn in a round, and any spell cast
while using the battery remains in the priest's mind, and can be cast normally
at a later date.  Spells cast with the battery have a normal casting time,
and all components (other than material) must be used.  The battery takes
the place of the regular material components.
	The caster can have only 1 battery in effect at one time, and when
it is drained of charges it becomes a worthless glass sphere.
	Note that this spell can be used to power any spell of any level
(which the priest can normally cast), but as its primary use is to allow
the priest to recover spells whilst in an area which prevents this, normally
only spells of higher than 3rd level are cast with the battery, as 3rd level
and lower spells can be regain by the priest without contact with his diety.

So there you are, please critique this, and woulf the keeper of the net.spell
books (any/all of them) please add this to the list?  I can send you more info
if such is needed.