Subject: New Spells (Roteley)
From: [email-masked]. (Michael Karapcik (EC))
Date: 23 Jun 1993 13:19:30 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

Tama Ne'!

        This is my first time posting, so I will be as suprised as anyone
if this works out well.
        I have noticed periodic postings of spells, so I thought I'd try
to post some of the 300+ spells I've created for my campaign.  (I tended
to get bored in highschool, and it looked like I was taking notes.)
        I would also like to add here that these spells are copywriten,
so they cannot be reproduced for profit, etc. (Out of curiosity, do I 
have to go through the entire copywright soliliquy each time I post 
something?)

        The following spells are the creations of the Wild Mage Roteley.
He has reached 17th level without permanently or significantly blasting
himself with his magic. (Yet.) He does own a tower, which he primarily 
uses for research.  He is a traveling showman at heart, loving to impress
people.  When traveling, he will often assume the guise of a slightly 
incompitent illusionist (illusions never quite right, +1 or +2 saves, which
he does -on purpose-, not through any real lack of skill), who appears to 
be about 5th, mabee 7th, level.  If he joins a group of adventurers, he
will seem rather loud and boisterous, and even a bit of a braggart, but 
still friendly and willing to share.  He will try to keep up the act as 
as possible, and will usually Teleport away if his true skill is revealed,
but he would not Teleport and leave a group in a dangerous situation.  He 
is chaotic neutral with strong good tendancies.

        Note that the Shatterwaves are not wild magic, so any mage can
use them, but the Wildbolt is wild magic.

Roteley's Lesser Shatterwave (Evocation)
Level: 4                                Components: V,S
Range: 1'/lv.                           Casting Time: 5 seg.
Duration: -                             Save: Negates
Area of Effect: cylindric wave, 5' d., 2.5'/lv. long
Description:  This spell creates a wave of force a short distance from the 
caster's hand which follows a cylindrical path away from the caster.  The
wave starts within the stated range and then moves away within the full area
of effect.  This wave of force has an effect similar to a Shatter spell.
All glass, ceramic, bone, or other fragile material touched by the wave must 
save vs. normal blow or be cracked, shattered, and ruined.  Magical items 
have a +5 on their save.  The wave can be stoped by large, heavy objects that
block most of the wave, such as a stone wall, iron chest, oak door (though
the door may crack), etc.  The wave has limited offensive power against
creatures with hard parts (skeletons).  The wave will do 1-2 points of
damage, plus one point per four levels of the caster, round up, as well as
stun for a like number of segments.  Skeletons and similar creatures take 
1-4 points of damage plus 1 point per 2 levels, as well as full stunning 
effects.  The wave itself is visible as an orange-red convex disk.
Example: A 10th level mage casts this spell.  The wave would appear within 
10' of his hand and procede to travel out on a 25' long path 5' wide.  An 
orc within this path would take 1d2+3 points of damage, as well as get
stunned for a like number of segments (save negates).

Roteley's Greater Shatterwave (Evocation)
Level: 8                                Components: V,S
Range: 2'/lv.                           Casting Time: 9 seg.
Duration: -                             Save: neg.
Area of Effect: cylindric path 10'd., 5'/lv. long.
Description: This is a more powerfull, as well as earlier, version of the 
Shatterwave.  Roteley designed the Lesser version later to be more practical,
but is still fond of using the Greater version in the laboratories of 
unfriendly mages.  This version is the same as the Lesser Shatterwave, but 
with the above and following changes.  All saves for items are at -2; 
monsters save at -1.  Damage is 1-4 points plus one point per 2 levels
(round up), with stunning at 1.5 seg per point of damage (about two rounds).
Skeletons and such take 1-8 points of damage, plus one point per level, again
with stunning effects as above.  Magic items have a +3 total on their save.
Example: A 20th level mage casts this spell.  The wave will start within
40' of the caster's hand, and it will follow a 100' long path 10' wide 
straight out. An owlbear struck by the wave would take 1d4+10 points of 
damage and be stunned for about 1d6+15 segments.

These spells were designed as large scale versions of the Shatter spell
which the mage would still have some control over.  (They are direction
specific.)  They are also usefull in that the mage need not touch the 
object affected, and more than one object can be targeted.

Roteley's Wildbolt (Evocation)          *Wild Magic
Level: 1                                Components: V,S
Range: 60'+10'/level                    Casting Time: 2 seg.
Duration: -                             Save: None (see below)
Description:  This powerful spell can inflict a great deal of damage, 
but it harms the wizzard in the process.  With this spell, the mage himself
becomes a channel for a bolt of raw, destructive energy.  The mage,
however, becomes greatly damaged by this channeling; the more powerfull 
the bolt, the more damage the mage takes.  When this spell is cast, the
wild mage takes 1d3 points of damage per level he poseses, plus and 
optional 1 point per level (the caster need not use all the optional
damage).  For each point of damage the mage takes, the bolt does 1d4 in
damage to the target.  For example, a 10th level mage with 38 hit points
uses a bolt with an additional 7 points of damage (he is guranteed at least
one hit point left).  The mage rolls 10d3+7, and gets a total of 29.  The
mage takes 29 points of damage, and the target takes 29d4 in damage
(29 to 116 points).  Note that there is no saving throw for the mage or
target to reduce damage.  The mage can cast this spell as if at a lower
level in order to reduce damage taken.  Certian spells will offer some
protection against the bolt (for the target only):

        Shield: Absorb one dice damage per round duration left, round up, 
                Shield duration reduced appropriately.
        Minor Globe of Invulnerability: as above, one round per 3 dice 
                damage.
        Globe of Invulnerability: as above, one round per 5 dice damage.
        Brooch of Shielding: one charge per two dice damage absorbed.

Spells or prefixes (White Wolf Magazine) which augment damage affect the 
damage the caster takes; the target, however, only takes 1d2 in damage for
each augmented point the caster takes.  For example, if the caster above could
do an extra point of damage per die from another spell affect, he would
take 39 points of damage, knocking him unconscious, and would do 29d4+
10d2 in damage, raising the average damage from 73 to 88 points, probably
at the cost of his life.
        The damage incured from a Wildbolt, for both the caster and 
target, can be healed normally.
        
c. 1992 Michael Karapcik

        I realize that the Wildbolt is quite powerful, but it is often 
fatal as well.  It is primarily a way for a mage to die with honor.  It
is also fun for nasty DM's to put it on a scroll or magic item.  It is also
a good "gift" for a mage to give to compeeting wizzards.
        I also realize that these spells are not my best, but they are 
interesting, and I had them with me.  I'll post more later, and see what
the response is.