Subject: New Necromancy Spells (long)
From: [email-masked] (Edward Keyes)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 01:12:27 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

Well, I'm looking down the barrel of summer vacation, so I thought I
should post some spells my character has researched (or in some cases
is planning to research) before I leave my net access behind.

Korel is a Suloise necromancer who formerly lived in Castle Kalannar,
about 25 miles south of the town of Hookhill on Oerth (Greyhawk), where
he acted as court wizard for Lord Kalannar.  Rumors of Kalannar's
failed assassination attempt on the youngest member of the Circle of
Five are almost certainly false (yeah, right), but nevertheless
neither Korel nor Kalannar has been seen or heard of for some time
now -- whether dead, in jail, or in hiding, no one seems to know.

The investigation of the ruins of the Castle has unearthed a badly
scorched spellbook, from which magical scholars have laboriously
reconstructed a number of necromantic spells believed to have been
developed by Korel himself.  Unfortunately, the widely rumored
soul extractor spell was not found among them (hey, I gotta keep
some secrets...).

KOREL'S DEATH AURA
(Necromancy, Illusion/Phantasm)
Level: 2
Range: 0
Components: V,S
Duration: 2 hours/level
Casting Time: 2
Area of Effect: 10 foot radius
Saving Throw: None

     Korel's Death Aura creates continual small magical effects in its
area of effect, which is mobile with, and centered on, the caster.  These
effects are very subtle and should not be able to be immediately
recognized as magical.

     The effects are centered around death and fear.  For instance,
those entering the area of effect might notice a slight stuffiness in
the air, making it a little difficult to breate.  Slight movements
seen out of the corner of the eye with no visible source should keep
people on edge and maybe a bit paranoid.  A slight cold breeze seems
to blow across the back of one's neck, for instance.  The manipulation
of shadows is a favorite, as well.

     Once per round, the caster may concentrate and direct these
effects -- for instance, sending a shiver down someone's spine while
staring at them, or cause a shadow to move out of the corner of that
person's eye to distract them for a second.

     In no way may these effects cause damage or distract spellcasting,
unless, of course, the spellcaster voluntarily stops to see what just
moved "over there in the corner."  By concentrating, more explicit effects
can also be generated: the casterÕs eyes glow red, etc.

     The caster may, with minor concentration, temporarily negate the
effects.  At the caster's option, auditory phantasms may also be
created: a slight scuffling or scraping sound off in the corner where
the shadow seemed to move, a distant scream so faint you're not sure
whether you heard it or not, the whistling wind seeming to be calling
your name, etc.  The option for auditory elements is set at casting
time.

KOREL'S MASS SKELETONIZE
(Necromancy, Conjuration/Summoning)
Level: 4
Range: Touch
Components: V,S,M
Duration: Permanent
Casting Time: 1 round
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

     This spell was designed by Korel the Necromancer, who was eager to
create undead, but was too cultivated to accept the reek of rotting
flesh produced by zombies.  The casting of this spell summons a horde
of insects which rapidly devour all the flesh from the bodies of a
number of creatures.  To determine how many creatures can be skeletonized
with one casting, use the guidelines of Animate Dead (i.e. 1 body per
level of humans, less for higher HD).

     Note that the body must be completely dead (-10 HP, not just
unconscious at 0 HP).  Only the bare bones are left behind, completely
clean after a rinsing of water.

     The spell may also function on animated undead, in which case
a savings throw is granted to negate the effect.  Failure results in
the loss of one Hit Dice.  Obviously, skeletons are immune.  Free-
willed undead are also immune.

     The material component is a large pinch of sugar mixed with
bone powder, which must be sprinkled over the bodies to be affected.

KOREL'S HAND OF EVIL
(Necromancy, Enchantment/Charm)
Level: 4
Range: 10 feet/level
Components: V,S,M
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: One creature
Saving Throw: Negates

     In casting this spell, the wizard severs the victimÕs control over
one of his arms (75% chance primary hand, or 50-50 if ambidextrous), making
the victimÕs hand an independent entity whose only goal is the destruction
of the victim.

     The hand is almost as intelligent as the victim, and will take the
quickest available method for killing or disabling the victim (note that
the hand can continue attacking even if the victim is unconscious).  For
instance, if the victim was carrying a dagger, the hand might grab that
and attack.  If the victim is weaponless, the hand would attempt to choke
instead.  The hand would not, however, be able to grab a wand and fire
it at the victim, since the wand requires a command word to activate.

     With weapons, the hand will only use short weapons, since anything
longer could not be easily turned inward.  It attacks with the victimÕs
own THAC0 against the victimÕs own AC, doing the victimÕs normal damage,
including strength bonuses.  For choking, the hand inflicts 1d4 points
of damage each round, plus strength bonus if applicable (75% of this is
temporary damage, but remember that the hand can continue choking the
victim even if the victim is unconscious).  Each round, if no other action is
taken, the victim has a 50% chance of breaking the choke hold (the hand may
re-establish it with a successful attack roll).  Other attack forms are up to
DM discretion (bashing plates into the victimÕs head, etc.).

     Even though necromancers generally dislike charm spells, this spell
provides many a laugh for them.  The material component is fingernail
clippings from a zombie.

KOREL'S VAMPIRIC STRIKE
(Necromancy, Enchantment)
Level: 6
Range: Touch
Components: V,S,M
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 6
Area of Effect: One weapon
Saving Throw: None

     This spell imbues one weapon with a shimmering black radiance that
makes it function as a weapon of vampiric regeneration for the spell
duration.  That is, one half of any damage inflicted by the weapon
(including bonuses for strength, magic, backstab multipliers, etc.)
will be gained by the wielder, rounded down.

     The spell enchants the weapon, not a person, so the weapon may
be used by the caster or another person, or even by several people in
succession within the spell duration.  For the purposes of this spell,
a weapon is defined as any non-living object through which damage is
inflicted.  Common weapons like swords and staves are obviously
included, but the spell could theoretically be used to enchant a pair
of gloves to regenerate punching damage.  In a case like this, only the
permanent damage is counted for determining how many points are
regenerated.

     Hit points may be gained by the wielder above the normal maximum,
and excess points are treated as in the Vampiric Touch spell (fades
after one hour).  The material component of this spell is a pinch of
dust from any level-draining undead (wraith, wight, spectre, vampire),
which is sprinkled over the weapon to be affected.

KOREL'S STRENGTH OF DARKNESS
(Necromancy)
Level: 6
Range: Touch
Components: V,S,M
Duration: Permanent
Casting Time: 1 turn
Area of Effect: One undead
Saving Throw: None

     This spell, when cast on an already-animated undead, presumedly
under the caster's control, strengthens both the body of the undead
and the animating force holding it together.  The result is an
increase in most of the physical statistics of combat, producing
an excellent skeletal bodyguard or elite troops.

     The effect of this spell is dependent on caster level.  Subtract
10 from the level of the caster and divide by two.  This modifier
(2 at 14th level, 3 at 16th level, 4 at 18th level) is applied in
the positive direction to all of the following: THAC0, hit dice,
AC, and damage modifier.  Thus a 14th level caster could strengthen
a normal skeleton (THAC0 19, 1 hit dice, AC 7, 0 damage modifier)
to an advanced model with THAC0 17, 3 hit dice, AC 5, and a +2
damage modifier.

     Free-willed undead are not affected by this spell, nor are
non-corporeal undead, since the spell strengthens the physical body
of the undead.  Skeletons, zombies, and ju-ju zombies are the
typical recipients of the spell.

     The material component for this spell is a pinch of dust from
a normal undead of the new hit dice or higher (wraith at 5, mummy
at 6, etc.) and a cup of blood from a fighter with the same THAC0
as the new level.  These are mixed together and splashed on the
undead to be affected.

KOREL'S WISDOM BEYOND DEATH
(Necromancy)
Level: 7
Range: Touch
Components: V,S,M
Duration: Permanent
Casting Time: One turn
Area of Effect: One undead
Saving Throw: None

     This spell imbues an intelligence into a formerly mindless undead
(typically a skeleton or a zombie -- free-willed undead cannot be
affected by this spell).  In the casting of this spell, the subject's
brain, or remains thereof, is removed and replaced with a specially-
prepared gem.

     The crystalline structure of the gem acts as a focus to draw
together and intensify the dark forces already present in the undead,
giving it an intelligence of its own, determined by the size and
perfection of the gem (i.e. value -- see table below).  In no case
can the intelligence of the undead meet or exceed the caster's
intelligence at the time of casting.

     Although the undead has intelligence, it does not have free
will -- it is still subservient to its master (usually the caster).
However, the added intelligence enables it to remember and carry
out more complex commands and within certain limits display independent
initative.  The undead have access to the minds of the countless
deceased to some extent, so other skills appropriate to the
intelligence level can be possessed, particularly if the living
person whose animated body is affected displayed them.

     For example, the animated body of a deceased general would
almost certainly retain an understanding of battlefield strategy if
given enough intelligence.  Likewise, an animated warrior would retain
his fighting prowess, and therefore his original THAC0.  Psionic
or spell-casting abilities are not retained, however, since they
either require living flesh or have to be extensively adapted to the
new relation to the negative material plane.

Gem Size:   INT Score:       Skills (cumulative):
  10000       19-20        Extremely cunning
   5000       17-18        Impersonation of humans
   2000       15-16        Effective command of troops
   1000       13-14        Effective use of mid-sized group
    500       11-12        Can command other undead with permission
    200        9-10        Average servant skills (cook, clean)
    100        7-8         Multi-step, conditional commands
     50        5-6         Simple strategies, like ambush
     20        3-4         Command activated by condition
     10        1-2         One immediate command

     In any event, general intelligence is gained, along with the
ability to speak with a hollow, sepulchral tone (the gem is emitting
the sound, which echoes in the otherise hollow skull).  The undead can
perform at a level given by the table above.  They can display
initiative within their orders, but no more: an animated general
given the order, "Take these troops and defeat that army." would
do so to the best of his ability, utilizing appropriate battlefield
tactics.  However, he would not break off the attack to inform his
master that the army is actually composed of allies.

     At the higher levels of intelligence, there are rumors that
the undead gain levels of self-consciousness.  They are forbidden
by the spell from disobeying their orders in the slightest or taking
actions not supported by orders, but they can use bad orders to the
disadvantage of their master.  In the former example, for instance,
a very intelligent undead general might order his troops to
concentrate on the leaders of the friendly army, knowing them to
be friends of the caster.  Nevertheless, the draw for necromancers
to create such undead is immense, since they can be given very
general commands -- a super-genius skeleton (especially a
disguised one) singlemindedly pursuing the goal of killing a single
person can do so in unbelivably cunning ways.

     Should the caster die, the undead affected by this spell will
gradually gain their own free will, retaining the intelligence, over
a period of one year.  Defeating one of these undead in battle
has a 30% chance of smashing the skull of the undead, therefore
destroying the gem in a backlash of energies.  Otherwise, the gem
may be extracted and reused.

     The material component of this spell is a gem of the appropriate
size that has been soaked in the blood of a creature with at least
the intelligence desired for 24 hours.  Some casters, with
compunctions against killing other sentient creatures, use their
own blood, but this rapidly becomes impractical.

And just so you don't think that Korel is a total death freak, here's
a sample spell from his friendlier side...

KOREL'S ENCHANT PLANT
(Alteration,Enchantment/Charm)
Level: 6
Range: Touch
Components: V,S,M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: Special
Area of Effect: One batch of 3d8 seeds
Saving Throw: Neg.

     The necromancer Korel created this spell after seeing examples of
magically enhanced plants within the ruins of Greyhawk Castle, evidently
created by the archmage Zagig.  This spell is very similar to the Enchant
an Item spell, except that the objects to be enchanted are living plants,
not special items.

     To use this spell, the plants to be enchanted must first be located.
Different types of plants can hold different levels of magic.  Common
plants, like tulips, grasses, and oaks, can only be enchanted with cantrip-
level magic.  These effects are commonly used with the Color cantrip to
produce blue roses, or with an Exterminate cantrip to repel insects, etc.

     Rarer plants, particularly those with medicinal or magical value,
can be enchanted with first or second level spells, either wizard or priest.
These effects are commonly used to create berry bushes whose berries act as
the spell Goodberry, for instance, or flowers whose scent acts as a Sleep
spell.

     To enchant plants with higher level spells is possible, but it is
necessary to seek out truly exceptional plants.  In no cases can plants
with intelligence of their own be enchanted with this spell.

     To enchant a plant with a specific spell, it is necessary to research
this new application of the spell as if it were a new spell.  In the process,
the DM and the player should collaborate on possibly altered effects of
the spell in question -- for instance, if the spell is instantaneous, how
often can the plant cast that spell, or under what conditions (when
touched, when struck by sunlight, etc.).

     This spell is cast on a batch of seeds.  Up to 3d8 may be enchanted at
one time.  To prepare for the enchantment, the parent plants of the seeds
must be grown with special care: special fertilizers, watered with pure
spring water, no damaging weather, etc.  The cost varies with the plant
(an oak would require more fertilizer than grass, and for a longer period)
but should never be less than 100 gp per parent plant.  Each parent plant
may produce many seeds, according to species.  The seeds themselves, after
the enchanting process, must be planted under the next full moon or the
enchantment is lost.

     The enchanting process is similar to Enchant an Item, with the caster
required to be in proximity to the seeds during that time.  The casting time
is 10d6 hours, with a maximum of 8 hours a day.  The spell(s) to be enchanted
must be cast within 24 hours of the conclusion of the enchanting process, and
they require 1d6 hours per spell level.  Continuing enchantment is possible,
as with Enchant an Item.  The seeds must roll a savings throw equal to the
casterÕs unmodified save versus polymorph -- if successful, the enchantment
took.  If the save was failed, the enchantment failed and the seeds are
ruined.  The caster is aware of the result of the save.

     If the process is stopped here, the seeds, when planted, will grow
to plants that exhibit the spells they were enchanted with, but their seeds
will result in plants of the normal form.  If a Permanency spell is applied
to the seeds within the 24 hours period, then the form of the plants are
permanently changed -- the offspring of the plants will also exhibit the
magical properties, and essentially a new species of plant has been
created, with all the associated potential for crossbreeding, etc.

Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
From: [email-masked] (Edward Keyes)
Subject: Little Researched Spell
Followup-To: rec.games.frp.dnd

My cleric/necromancer (dual class) has finally been able to settle down
with a lab and library and begin researching spells.  He's still
building up the library, so he started out with a few low-level
utility spells before moving on to the heavy-duty death stuff.

I'll post 'em as I learn 'em (except for necromancer trade secrets...).

Oh, wondrous keeper of the Great Net Spellbook, is posting okay or
do you want personal email instead/as well?

KOREL'S LAST WORD
(Alteration)
Level: 1
Range: 10 feet/level
Components: V,S
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 2-inch radius sphere
Saving Throw: Negates

     Korel the necromancer created this spell as a way to deal with
insults in taverns.  Being Suloise, dressed in black, and not at all
personable tended to draw the hecklers.  Unfortunately, there was
little for him to do short of killing the person, which would be too
much of a nuisance.

     Thus he made this spell, which is essentially a Silence, 2-Inch
Radius spell.  Typical use will cast it on someone's tongue, rendering
all articulated speech impossible (spellcasting too), although deep-
throat moans might still be possible.  The victim can still hear,
though, a necessity in getting in your last word.  The sphere is
mobile with the object it was cast upon.

     The somatic component is a wave of dismissal in the subject's
direction, and the verbal component is some phrase like "be quiet",
"shut up", or some more colorful version.  A successful saving throw
against spells completely negates the effect, but the victim will
not know that a spell was even cast, due to the innocuous nature of
the components.  This was specifically designed to prevent secondary
insults regarding the failure of the spell ("HAH! Your feeble magics
cannot touch me!").

     Magic-using thieves can also use this spell by casting it on a
lock to cover up lock-picking noises, while still keeping an ear out
for guards' footsteps.  Creaking hinges are another good use.  It's
also a good way to shut up the stupid INT 8 dwarven battlerager in
the party, although this may result in a two-handed battle-axe
between the eyes.