Subject: here's the spells from me
From: [email-masked] (Jay)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 89 16:52:17 CST

Lightservant (Alteration, Conjuration/Summoning)
Level:  2				Components:  V, S, M
Range:  0				Casting Time:  2 segments
Duration:  2 turns/level		Saving Throw:  None
Area of Effect:  3" radius around caster

Explanation/Description:  This spell is a variation of the first-level
magic-user spell Unseen Servant.  The servant created by this spell is
visible as a vaguely manlike form of glowing light, and is slightly
stronger, being able to lift 3000gp weight and taking 8 hit points of
magical damage to destroy.  The light provided by the servant is enough
to allow normal vision in a 1" radius around the servant.  Except as
noted above, and that the material components of this spell are a live
firefly and a piece of thread, this spell behaves as Unseen Servant.

Staff of Light/Darkness (Alteration-Evocation)
Level:  6				Components: V, S, M
Range:  0				Casting Time: 6 segments
Duration:  1 round/level		Saving Throw:  Special
Area of Effect:  Special

Explanation/Description:  By means of this spell, the magic-user creates
a powerful magical weapon which only he can wield.  Magic-users of Good
alignment can create a Staff of Light; those of Evil alignment, a Staff
of Darkness; and those of Neutral alignment (with respect to Good/Evil)
can create either form of the spell, but with reduced effectiveness.  The
verbal component of this spell consists of but a single word, which
creates in the magic-user's hand a sphere of light (or darkness) a few
inches in diameter; the remainder of the casting time is then spent
carefully pulling and shaping this sphere into a full-sized staff.  Spell
duration is considered to begin on the following round, so that the
caster can make at least as many attacks as he has levels.
    The glowing Staff of Light will brightly illuminate a 30' radius, and
when cast by a Good-aligned magic-user this illumination will be painful
to supernatural Evil creatures such as undead, demons, devils, etc.
(these take 2 hit points of damage per round, saving vs. spell each round
for half damage).  A Darkness spell cast in the area of the Staff of
Light will eliminate this painful effect for the duration of the
Darkness, but does not actually make the area dark, though the
illumination is reduced to the level of dim torchlight.  Whether cast by
a Good or Neutral magic-user, the Staff of Light strikes as a +2 weapon
(for purposes of what can be hit by it; there is no actual to-hit bonus)
and does a base of 1d6 points of damage.  The damage can be increased by
1d6 for each round of spell duration that remains; every such increase
shortens the duration of the spell by one round.  Intent to increase
damage must be stated before the to-hit die is rolled, but spell duration
is not affected if the attack is a miss.  If the Staff of Light is used
to strike a creature with a strong Negative Material existence (wights,
spectres, xeg-yi, etc.) there is a 50% chance that the remaining spell
duration will be expended as damage whether or not the caster wishes it.
    The Staff of Darkness sheds deep shadows in a 30' radius, through
which only the caster can see clearly; Shades (the monster) and other
magic-users using Staff of Darkness spells are at -1 to hit when within
these shadows, and all others (even with infravision) are at -3 to hit
and +3 to be hit when in these shadows.  (Note that two magic-users
within 30' of each other and each holding as Staff of Darkness will both
be at -1 to hit, but the effects of multiple Staves are not otherwise
cumulative.)  In addition, when cast by an Evil-aligned magic-user, this
sphere of shadow will affect supernatural creatures of Good alignment
(shedu, lammasu, devas, etc.) as if they were affected by a Stinking
Cloud spell (saving throw vs. magic reduces the effect to mild nausea, -1
to hit and damage; this penalty is cumulative with the -3 to-hit penalty
for poor visibility).  A Light spell cast in the area of the Staff of
Darkness will remove this nauseating effect and reduce the to-hit penalty
to -1 and the to-be-hit penalty to +1, but will not significantly
brighten the area.  The staff of Darkness strikes as a +2 weapon (for
purposes of what can be hit), doing 1d6 points of damage.  For each round
of spell duration that remains, the caster can choose to inflict numbing 
cold on his victim; this cold has a 5% chance per round of spell duration
expended, cumulative, of causing loss of use of a limb for 1d6 rounds,
and otherwise causes the victim to lose 1 point each of strength and
dexterity per round of duration expended, also for 1d6 rounds; thereafter
the lost strength and dexterity return at the rate of 1 point each per
round, or the limb becomes usable immediately.  Cold-resistant and
cold-using creatures get a saving throw against this effect, and its
duration is halved for them in any case.
    If the areas of radiance/shadow of a Staff of Light and a Staff of
Darkness intersect, the effects of both are negated in the overlapping
region.  If the staves are within 30' of one another, both cease to shed
their light/darkness, but their powers are otherwise unaffected.  Neither
Staff has any physical substance, and thus cannot be parried except by
another Staff of the opposite type or by a Rod of Force; a Wall of Force,
Forcecage, or similar force barrier will stop a Staff.  If two Staves of
opposite type touch one another for any reason, both are destroyed in an
explosion of 40' radius causing 1d6 points damage for each round of
duration remaining in the two spells, cumulative.  The mages holding the
Staves automatically take full damage, all others within 40' save vs.
spells to take half damage.
    The material component of this spell is a pearl (a black pearl for
the Dark version) of not less than 500gp value, which is held in one hand
when the command word is uttered.  The pearl is transformed into a small
sphere of light or darkness; the somatic component is the stretching and
molding of this sphere into a staff.  There is rumored to be a variant of
this spell that allows the sphere formed from the pearl to be hurled as a
missile, but the specific details have been lost.

-- 
Enemy Blink:  Fourth level spell, makes enemy blink if save failed.
Otherwise like blink.  Good for use if enemy near cliff or large body
of water.

Range 300 yards, affects 4-24.
Cannot make people save twice, ie, 'i've got 12, I use them all on him,
have him save 12 times.'

Missile multiplication.  Fourth level.
Casting time, 6 segments.  Missile must be fired within the next two
segments.  makes 3-18 missiles.

The fifth level version of this spell will multiply 'abnormal' missiles.
Like poison darts, Ballista bolts, catapult rocks and other such things.

Stuff disappears 1 round after shooting, but effects stay.  A nasty assassin 
in my game used this spell with sleep-poison darts to capture a PC.
(The PC naturally escaped later.  It's hard to walk around with enough tranquilizer in you to drown a hippo.  Can you say, save vs. poison 11 times?)

I would advise not using lethat poison.  You have to roll to-hit fer each
missile, by the way.  However, if your FIRST missile hits, you have a +3
on all thereafter.
You could make this a 3rd and then a 4th level spell if you wanted.

In my opinion, arrows in D&d are a joke unless you get off around 10
of them, thus the spell. :)
If someone points a crossbow at you and says, 'Stop, or I'll shoot,"
you walk over to him, taking PERHAPS 3 HP of damage, and strangle him.

5th level.
Retroactive Dispel Magic.
Lets you actually cast Dispel Magic to counter a spell thrown at you!.
If you have the spell, you can cast it at any spell or spell effect
thrown that round, EVEN if you have been killed or turned to stone, by
the vagaries of initiative and the like.
It is assumed that you were casting the dispel magic as the other spell was
being cast.  Acts as dispel magic for chance of success based on level.

For example, you have Esmerelda cast polymorph other, which is lots faster
than Dispel magic.  She has Initiative all over Glamgon, the PC.
He declares that he wants to cast retroactive dispel magic, so
effectively as Esmeralda was gathering power for her spell, Glamgon
was trying to drain it away.  Glamgon had better succeed, lest he truly
become a toad (the outcome of the polymorph other should RDM not succeed.)

If you don't like this, make it 6th level.  It's not like PC's are going
to be able to cast it repeatedly a lot on an adventure at this level.
And it makes it possible to stop a spell thrown.

Level 8 or 9
Demonic immunity.
Requires a demon's amulet of at least a type 1 demon.
Renders you INVULNERABLE to ALL DEMONIC POWERS.
Does nothing for physical attacks.
You cannot be telekinesed, you cannot be charmed by a demon, their
unholy words don't affect you, etc.  All demonic powers can't harm you.

The tougher the demons amulet, the longer it lasts, casting time 1 round,
amulet is destroyed, duration can be split between people.
Type 1, lasts 4 rounds.  That's 1 round for 4 people, etc.
Type 2, 6
3, 8
4, 12
5, 20
6, 50
Any 'named' demon, 100.
-- 

Damians Mindswap

casting time: 9                     range: 7"
duration: permanent                 area of effect: 1 creature
components: VSM                     Level 9
                                    Saving throw: NEG

When this powerful enchantment is cast, the spell user attempts to rip
the target creatures soul from its body and temporarily place it in
a gem of not less than 15000 gp.  At the same time the casters soul
is eased from his body and also travels through the gem.  When
,and if, both souls are in the gem he both procede to the opposet bodies
>from which they came.  You'll note that this has two very noticeable effects:

1) the caster and victim have essentially swapped minds (or bodies
   whichever you prefer), this has the effect that the caster now takes on
   the physical attributes of that body (i.e. STR CON DEX and COM).  The caster
   still retains his own mental capcities and previous knowledge (i.e. INT WIS
   CHR, HP and level).

2) If the caster or victim can kill their old body (i.e. their swapped body)
   then the oters soul goes to its respective plane.  Thus, after completion of
   the spell, if the caster kills his old body then he can never be displaced
   from his new, for in all intents and purposes it is HIS body now.  If neither is
   killed and at some later point in time a cleric casts an exorcise spell at
   either body (both have to be within 7" of each other though) the caster of
   the original mindswap must save vs death or return to his old body.

If the save vs this spell is made it indicates this that persons body will
NEVER accept the casters soul and need never fear this spell from the same caster
again.

Damians Insulated envelope.

casting time: 4                 area of effect: caster
range: 0"                       duration 2rnds + 1rnd/lvl
components: VSM                 level: 4

Due to his personel dislike of lightning the archmage damian crafted
this spell to specifically counter its harmful effects.  When cast, this spell
seems to cover the caster in a pale blue light resembling an envelope.
Once cast the caster gains 2 Benefits (much like fire shield)

1}  A save vs lightning at + 2 indicates no damge to the caster.  A failed save
    Merely indicates Half damage.  If at any time the caster is hit by
    any acid or acid spell the caster must save normally or take double
    damage.

2}  If any melee attacks are made on the caster, on a succesful strike the 
    caster takes normal Damage but so does the attacker.

As for the rest of the spells I must go home and retrieve them from my friend
who penned them.  Only the last to spells are of my own design (by my player
character Damian the Pale).  If you want updates gimme a few days and then
Yammer back and I'll send the rest out.  All but the last two are
in the exact format as sent to me, If you have any questions about them ask
me and then I'll ask the owners. Till then

				      Jay.