Subject: Re: Illusions wanted
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 15:42:03 EST
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

Here's my rush of illusions those few, those illusionary few who asked.  I
have yet to try them out myself, so if you use them anytime, let me know how
they farm out, if they do, or what you changed.  Quality control, that's me.

Teeth and Claws (Necromancy, Illusion/Phantasm)

Level: 3/ Range: 60 yards / Duration: Special / Area of Effect: One creature
/ Components: V,S,M / Casting Time: 3 / Saving Throw: Special

Explanation/Description: After casting Teeth and Claws, the caster merely
has to advance towards his intended target, baring his teeth and hands
predatorily before tossing a tooth or claw at the target.  If the creature
fails their savevs.  spells, they see the advancing spellcaster as
something/someone inimitable and flee.  What follows is not entirely in
their mind.  The sound of claws scrabbling over the ground and teeth
snapping are audible to all within hearing range.  Outside of the target's
mind, Teeth & Claws has no physical body aside from four sets of claws and a
mouth full of teeth.  Teeth & Claws is 90% invisible in shadows and
darkness.  It is fueled by the target's imaination and fears, and continues
pursuit until the target successfully disbelieves in it.  Therefore doors
and other barriers would only delay pursuit.  Teeth & Claws will pace and
claw at the barriers.  Should these barriers be removed and the victim
coninues to believe in it, Teeth & Claws resumes pursuit.  If it catches up
with the target, it will attack as a 1 HD creature (4 claws @ 1d2, teeth @
1d4).  T & C can only be attacked with +1 weapons or better.  The spell
expires when the target successfully disbelieves it or if it takes 8 points
damage.The tooth or claw material component turns to dust in either case.

Animate Clothing (Necromancy, Illusion/Phantasm)

Level: 4 / Range: 60 yards / Duration: Special / Area of Effect: One or more
articles of clothing / Components: V,S,M / Casting Time: 4 / Saving Throw:
Special

Explanation/Description: By casting Animate Clothing, the cast can add body
and substance to an illusion.  The spell animates one or more articles of
clothing, drawing its power from the vestiges of life energy left by the
most recent wearer.  The clothing fills out to the proportions of the
previous owner, around which the caster can create an illusion, generally of
someone wearing the clothing.  The animated clothing moves, wrinkles, and
stretches as if worn, and exerts tension and mild force.  Should someone
touch or come into contact with the clothing, it will feel as if someone was
actually wearing the clothing.  Attacks or forceful contact adds a +2 to
disbelieving the illusion.

The material component(s) is any article of clothing that has been worn
within one week.  Almost any article of clothing can be animated: shirts,
pants, dresses, hats, boots, gloves, etc. One article per three levels can
be animated at once, clothing that comes in pairs counting as one (gloves,
socks), and can be mismatched, although mismatched articles filling out to
different proportions could be suspicious.  Even pieces of armor may be
animated, however due to the heavier mass and lessen flexibility, each
counts as two articles of clothing.  (A complete suit of plate armor is not
counted as one item, but a leather jerkin is).  Animated clothing can move
and lift light objects, turn pages in a book, pick up a small gem, but
cannot perform actions requiring dexterity, such as unrolling a scrollor
picking a pocket.  They furthermore cannot attack or weildw eapons, not even
daggers or darts.  Any attempt exhausts the life energy fueling the spel
instantly and the clothing ceases to be animated.  Animated clothing remains
so as long as the caster concentrates.

P.S.  The illusion of the creature is not a separate spell, but part of
Animate Clothing.  Additionally, an illusion of the creature who most
recently wore this clothingis not automatically supplied by the spell.

Ghost Stories (Illusion/Phantasm, Enchantment)

Level: 2 / Range: Touch / Duration: Special / Area of effect: One creature /
Components: V,S / Casting Time: 1 round / Saving Throw: Negation

Explanation/Description: The mage casts this spell upon one speaker or
storyteller before the creature touched begins telling a frightening story to
an audience  within hearing range and can hear the tale clearly.  When the
storyteller begins, the individual audience members must make a save vs.
spells at -4.  If they fail, they become caught up in the story and listen
attentively, even 'oooo'ing and 'aahhh'ing with genuine feeling, while the
storyteller's voice and movements direct the spell's effects, enhancing
lighting and sound in the immediate area.  Those who save wander off,
disinterested.  Those who cannot understand the speaker automatically save.

After the story's conclusion, those who failed their saves are heartened by
the exhilirating performance and receive a +2 initiative vs. undead and +2
to save vs. fear for the next 24 hours.  Those who saved are unaffected and
receive no such bonuses.

The reverse of the spell causes those who failed their saves become
disheartened and receive a -2 initiative vs. undead and -2 to save vs. fear
for the next 24 hours.  Audience members must sit through the entire story
to receive the bonuses or penalties.  They do not wish to be interrupted,
but attack or similar interruptions can break the spell.  The same applies
if the speaker stops for longer than 1 round.  If the spell is cast on a
bard, he has the conscious decision to allow or disallow the spell to occur.

As you can tell, I'm trying to work with necromancy/illusion combinations.
Isimilarly enjoy all postings regarding illusions, and welcome any
discussion and/or suggestions with necromancy/illusion combos.  Thanks for
tuning in and for all who asked, enjoy.

Larry