From: Thomas Weigel <[email-masked]>

All of these spells are spells designed or researched by Katrine, a young
spell-caster character of mine.  I originally created the spells under 5th
edition AD&D (a version written by myself and edited by all my loyal gamers)
but have edited and set them into normal AD&D format.  For the most part, I
changed the level as well, to better match the power level of AD&D.  Credit
and special thanks go to Katherine, a close friend of mine who inspired the
character and initially helped create her.  Thanks also go to Michael, who
put up with my constant wanting to research some of the spells you'll find
below (Katrine's Deadly Sphere probably tops them tho).
 
As far as schools of magic go.. I have done my best to guesstimate a proper
school for each, as the game I played her in had a different set.  The ones
used were Combat, Communication, Illusions, etc.  The philosophy was that
magic was defined by the end effect, not the process.  So I've tried to work
out the process for here.
 
Some of the information that AD&D uses I do not, but I hope I got everything
necessary.  If not, feel free to make it up to fit your game.
 
All of this may be used by anyone, but no money may be made from it without
my express permission, just like any other net.spells :).  I would, of course,
*prefer* that Katrine's name remain attached to these spells, and (hint) she'd
make a great NPC or mage from some forgotten period.  But of course, I can't
really expect it :).  Oh yeah, about distributing this - feel free to post it
anywhere you find a good site.  In fact, I'm asking you to.  Any responses to
Katrine's collection of spells is welcome as well.
 
NA means Not Applicable.  Self Only means that the spell can only be cast
upon the spell-caster.  A '*' following Duration means that only one of
the spell can be active at a time on a given object or the caster.
 
Through out this, I have primarily used the femminine gender pronoun unless
the subject is obviously male or female.  I do so with the same logic by
which TSR uses primarily the male gender pronoun, with one addition.  Rather
than end the logic with 'Centuries of use have neutered the male pronoun', I
have extended that logic, and intend to neuter the female pronoun for common
usage by starting a similar centuries of use with it.  The other reason is
because most of the time it is referring to a female - Katrine herself.
 
I dunno what else needs to be said, so I'll let Katrine have it from here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cantrips

Blank (illusion/phantasm)
Range: touch
Duration: 1 hour per level
Area: 1 book
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA
 
This cantrip covers the print on the pages of a book and replaces it with the
illusion of blank pages.  For the blank pages to be convincing, the pages
in the book must be seen by the caster during the casting, otherwise the blank
pages might not match up with the real ones.  Also, individual pages may not
be blanked.  This is an all or nothing spell.  The caster concentrates on 
blankness while passing her left hand overthe book and muttering the proper
words.  Katrine developed this one, to her master's chagrin, while she was
still an apprentice (heh heh).

Clean (alteration)			Cantrip
Range: touch
Duration: instant
Area: 10' X 10' X 10' area of cloth
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA
 
This spell removes all small particles from most cloths instantly.  All that
is required is that the caster touch the pile of cloths and mutter the short
verbal component.

Katrine's Mirth (illusion/phantasm)	Cantrip
Range: 2"
Duration: instant
Area: sound
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA
 
This cantrip causes a high-pitched, girlish giggle to come into existence
somewhere within 2" (20 feet indoors, yards outdoors) of the caster.  The
caster controls where it will sound.It only lasts for a second or two, and
requires the caster to point at the location.

Katrine's Quick Makeover (conjuration/summoning)	Cantrip
Range: touch
Duration: instant
Area: one person
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA - target must be willing
 
This spell arranges the target's hair, cleans the face and skin, applies some
minimal amounts of make-up, sprays the target with any desired perfumes, fixes
the target's clothing or minor bits of apparell, etc.  The spell cannot
dress the target.  The caster must have all the objects needed to perform
these operations on hand (make-up, perfumes, bits of apparell, etc.) and
must mime the initial actions desired while muttering the appropriate arcane
words.  It doesn't have to be a great mime, however.  Upon casting the spell,
the desired objects begin flying around the target and fixing her up.
   This spell applies equally well to males, and can also be used to muss
the target up.

Mend (alteration)			Cantrip
Range: touch
Duration: instant
Area: 1 former whole cloth
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA
 
This spell rejoins parted fabric, whether it was torn, cut, ripped, or
shredded.  It does not affect leather, nor will it affect a tear that has
been subsequently altered significantly (sewn to something else, or hemmed).
The caster must touch the cloth pieces while muttering arcane words.

Restore (alteration)			Cantrip
Range: touch
Duration: instant
Area: one article of clothing
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA
 
This spell regenerates worn out cloth, returning it to its original strength
and texture.  Fadeed jeans, for example, would unfade.  Any holes in the
cloth must be fixed first, however, for it will not fix anything worse than
wear and rubbing.  The caster must touch the article of clothing while 
muttering the appropriate words.

Wash (invocation/evocation)	Cantrip
Range: none
Duration: instant
Area: 10' X 10' X 10'
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA
 
This spell removes dirt from all smooth surfaces in the area of effect.  This
includes skin, dishes, and stone walls, but not wood (unless highly polished),
a dirt floor, etc.  The caster sweeps her arm in a wide arc while muttering
the arcane phrase.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Level 1

Campfire (alteration)
Range: 10 yards
Duration: instant
Area: one fire
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: None
 
This spell lights small fires easily, and ignites anything up to kindling 
(such as cloth, kindling wood, oil, etc.).  The caster points at the target
materials and mutters 'Fire' in an arcane tongue.  If cast directly on
the clothing or hair of a person, it does 1-2 points of damage each round
until put out.  A particularly fun use of this spell (and one the lady-like
Katrine would never consider) is to light the rope someone else is climbing.

Dainty Screaming Wake-Up Call (illusion/phantasm)
Range: 1"
Duration: instant
Area: one target
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: Special
 
This spell causes the target, and only the target, to hear a piercing scream
of utter terror and anguish for a split second.  The sound is sufficient to
waken most slumbering pretties, or to require a Wisdom check (roll under
Wisdom -2 on a d20) for mages casting a spell.  A mage failing the check
will have her spell casting interrupted.  The caster must point her finger
at the target.
   Katrine originally devised this spell for those party members who weren't
responding to buckets of water in the morning.

Glowstone (alteration)
Range: touch
Duration: 1 hour
Area: 2" diameter
Components: V,M
Castin Time: 1 segment
Save: NA

This spell causes any smoothed, ordinary pebble to glow with enough light to
see about 20 feet well.  The spell requires a pebble held in the caster's
hand while arcane words are muttered.  Unfortunately, this spell works only
on small, rounded stones, and is consumed by the spell (middle of the desert
or sea and all you have is a small, uncut diamond.  Agony).

Illusory Wyvern (illusion/phantasm)
Range: 5"
Duration: 1 Turn
Area: one illusion
Components: V, constant somatic, M
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA
 
This spell generates the image of a large, brown scaled dragonlike creature
(about 15 - 20 feet long).  The Wyvern is realistic, but relies heavily on
the mage's Dexterity.  It fades away if moved more than 50 feet (yards
outdoors) away from the mage, but will fade back into view if moved back into
range before the end of the spell duration.  Casting requires a reptile scale
(from any reptile) while the caster mutters the arcane verbal component.
After casting, the mage must use her hands in order to manipulate the motions
of the Wyvern, and her Dexterity will affect the believability of the illusion
according to the following chart:
 
Dexterity   Bonus/Penalty to Disbelieving
8-12          +3
13            +2
14            +1
15             0
16            -1
17            -2
18            -3
19            -4
20            -5
21            -6

Friendspeak (?)
Range: 1"
Duration: 1 round
Area: subvocalize to single person
Components: none
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA

This spell allow the caster to speak with one person at a time by 
subvocalizing (whispering under your breath) the message.  Who she is
talking to can be changed, as long as all of the messages take place within
the one minute time limit.
   I recommend that Game Masters time the message to one minute.  This will
eliminate hassles about whether or not there is enough time or not to say
something (like, 'the solution is..').

Katrine's Blinding Beauty (Illusion/phantasms)
Range: self only
Duration: 1 hour per level *
Area: self only
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 round
Save: None

This spell is a minor illusion affecting small details of appearance, for
a better overall image.  In game effect, it increases the caster's beauty
and, to a small extent, her charm as well.  Smiles seem to be lit up, eyes
twinkle just a little more, the face seems to have a little more definition,
etc.  The bonus is normally +2 to Charisma, or +1 to Charisma and +1 to
Comeliness if that attribute is used.  If the caster has a nonweapon prof.
in a visual art (sculpture, painting, etc.), then it is a +3 Chr in the former
case, or +1 Chr, +2 Com in the latter. 

Katrine's Claws (alteration)
Range: caster only
Duration: 5 rounds + 1 round/level *
Area: caster
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA
 
This spell causes a set of long claws to grow from the fingers of both hands
of the casting mage.  These claws do d4 damage.  This is a flexible spell,
in that many different mages may tweak the initial pattern to get a 'look'
to their own claws, such as cat-claws, bear-claws, gee-that's-a-neat-claws,
etc.  The basic length and effectiveness of the claws is imutable, however,
so bear claws will seem small on a bear, and cat claws large on a cat.
Katrine always tweaked them to look like the talons of a bird of prey, such
as the owl.  
   To cast this spell, the caster snarls and pulls both hands into a fist
before releasing the fist as if popping claws.
   These claws require a 'to hit' roll to be made to do damage, so it is
recommended that Game Masters allow mages to take a weapon proficiency in
'claws'.  This is easily justified as they take little training.  In general,
either a mage will pick up the skill after finding the spell, or will start
with both.

Katrine's Dart (alteration)
Range: 2"
Duration: instant
Area: one creature
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: Negates
 
This causes a small cylindrical object (splinter, dart, needle, etc.) to
become a flaming dart which will strike the desired target.  If the target
fails the save, the Dart does d4 damage per level.  This spell is overall
weaker than Magic Missile, but is more versatile in that the caster need not
see the target in order to hit it.  As long as the target is within range, 
and the caster has some way of distinguishing it (whatever's causing that
smell around the corner, or the orc guard behind the cracked door), the Dart
will strike the target.  This is particularly effective in sheer darkness.
It is cast by muttering arcane words while tossing the cylindrical object in
the initial direction the Dart will take.

Katrine Falcon (alteration)		Level 1
Range: self only
Duration: 1 hour *
Area: self only
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 round
Save: NA
 
This spell turns the caster into a psuedo-falcon.  This form is as close to
being a real falcon as Katrine could manage at the time, but is not entirely
real.  This spell can be overlapped with Katrine Kitty Kat, which lasts for
24 hours, so that when this spell wears off, rather than being a falcon, the
caster will be a house cat.  In order to affect herself with this spell, the
caster must have a maximum of 10 Strength, and cannot weigh more than 150
pounds.
   The falcon form has a movement rate of 3" on ground, 24" in flight.  Its
Strength is -4 (to a minimum of 2), and its Dexterity is at +1.  It has d4
talons, keen sight, and -3 hit points per hit die of the caster, to a
minimum of 1/2 hit points per level.
   While a falcon, the caster can still speak, but the voice is strained and
wild, like a falcon.  Any verbal components other than 'shriek' have a 50%
chance (-2% per level of the mage) of failing.  Most somatic components are
impossible while a falcon (adjudicated by DM).  Material components, as long
as the material is easily accessible, are simple enough.

Katrine Kittycat (alteration)		Level 1
Range: caster only
Duration: 1 day *
Area: caster only
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 round
Save: NA
 
This spell transforms the caster into a house cat for a day, or until 
dispelled.  The cat's fur will be the color of the caster's hair, and eyes
will match eyes.  As the cat is considerably weaker than the caster nine
times out of ten (the tenth being what is known as dead) it is not suggested
that this be used as a combat spell.  The caster must have a maximum Strength
of 10, and cannot weigh more than 150 pounds for the spell to be able to
affect her.
   While a cat, the caster has a movement rate of 18", d2 claws, nightvision,
keen hearing, and keen smell.  Her Strength is lowered by -4 (to a minimum of
Strength 1) and Dexterity is increased by +2.  Her hit points are decreased
by -2 per hit die, to a minimum of 1 hit point per level.
   While transformed, the caster is still able to speak, but not very well, 
and any spells requiring a verbal component will have a 50% chance of failure, 
-2% per level of the mage.  Somatic components will be close to impossible for
anything other than cantrips.  Material components, as long as they require
little manipulation, are simple enough.

Katrine's Pleasure Touch (?)
Range: touch
Duration: 1 hour
Area: caster
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: Negates automatically if target attempts to resist
 
This spell stimulates the pleasure centers of any one person that the caster
is in contact with.  It is a combination of an illusion of mild pleasure,
and an enhancement of pre-existing pleasure.  It lasts for one hour, but is
only active while she is in contact with the person.  The illusory pleasure
is not very intense, simply a thrill along the appropriate sense, but the
enhancement depends on the strength of the initial pleasure.  For example,
the taste of chocolate, smell of old books in a library, brush of skin on
skin, sound of a symphony, or even looking at a sunset.  In casting it, the
mage forms a simple pattern with her fingers while muttering arcane words.

Katrine's Total Tent (invocation/evocation)
Range: 1"
Duration: one night/until dawn
Area: single tent
Components: V,M
Casting Time: 1 segment
Save: NA
 
This spell produces a small, one person tent composed of opaque blue kinetic
energy.  The tent is capable of sustaining up to 80 pounds of force, or
extremely strong winds (81 pounds of person or object falling on the tent
will collapse it, or someone weighing at least 150 pounds kicking it will
collapse it).  The spell fades into a fine mist when the first rays of the
sun hit it.  The caster must grasp a pinch of the earth the Tent will be
on while muttering several arcane phrases.

Katrine's Winning Smile (illusions/phantasms)
Range: self only
Duration: 5 hours *
Area: 10 yards radius
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 round
Save: Disbelieve (only if reason exists, like usual)
 
This is a spell similar to Charm, except weaker, and more diffuse.  It tugs
at the heartstrings of all who are close enough to speak with her normally,
and makes her look more helpless.  Obviously, this is not the spell for a
Strength 14 male magic-user with an imposing look and great staff.  The
casting is simply a few arcane words and a pulling motion from the caster's
heart, but the effects won't build up for a full round.  The spell 
effectively adds +25% to the caster's reaction modifier (under Charisma),
and makes others more willing to believe a single story she tells.
Disbelieving simply means that they have shaken off the idea that she is
more helpless than she is, and will not be more or less likely to react
favorably.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bands of Mist (Abjuration)		Level 2
Range: 2"
Duration: 1 Turn
Area: one Medium sized target
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 2 segments
Save: Special
 
This spell calls into existence misty rings around a single target.  These
rings exert 640 pounds of force to keep the target still (note - the reason
for the odd number is the system this spell comes from), including short
range movements such as swinging a sword.  Everytime the target attempts to
do something not requiring moving from her original position (walking is
out) she must make a Dexterity check (roll under Dex on a d20) in order to
have a chance of success.  In order to move from her original position, the
target will have a harder time of it.  If her Strength totals higher than 23,
she can make it easily.  Otherwise she must make a Strength check against
opening magical doors in order to break out of the bonds.  The caster tosses
a looped copper wire at the victim while muttering the appropriate verbal
components.
   This is a weakened version of Hold Person, which exerts physical force to
hold the target rather than paralysing her.

Katrine's Correspondence (illusion/phantasm)	Level 2
Range: touch
Duration: 1 month
Area: 2" square
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 2 segments + message time
Save: NA
 
This spell is a delayed reaction spell which, under preset conditions of
relatively simple nature (two dwarves and an elf enter room), generates an
illusory skull head which delivers a message of up to 125 words.  The spell
can last up to a month before the message is lost.  The spell requires a
pinch of bone dust from a skull (the type of skull determines what skull the
illusion looks like), which is consumed after the spell.  The mage casts the
spell by first uttering several arcane phrases, and then saying the message
while moving her left hand open and shut as the skulls jaw will do when the
message is given.
   This spell is another version of Magic Mouth with a longer message
possible, but a more limiting time span.  Katrine researched it because she
didn't have access to the original Magic mouth spell.

Katrine's Fragile Egg (???)		Level 2
Range: touch
Duration: 2 days per level
Area: one egg
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 round
Save: NA
 
This spell creates a pocket dimension inside a hollowed out egg which can
hold up to 250 pounds or 20 cubic feet.  For conversion purposes, 12.5 pounds
equals one cubic feet, so a mage could put something that took up 125 pounds
and took up 10 cubic feet in thee (a small human being or typical elf).  The
caster must place the items desired into the egg at the time of the casting,
and may not take them out until everything is taken out.  When the spell
duration runs out, or the egg is shattered (a hard tap will do it), everything
that was stored in the egg appears again (placing the egg in a small
container and then leaving it for several days somewhere can be fun).  The
mage casts the spell by moving the hollowed out egg over her head in a
complex pattern while chanting slowly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katrine's Deadly Sphere (invocation/evocation)	Level 4 or 5
Range: 1" away from caster
Duration: Special *
Area: self only
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 Turn
Save: NA
 
This is one of Katrine's nastier spells.  It creates an opaque blue sphere of
force capable of moving at the same rate as the caster (polymorphing into a
faster form will not improve the sphere's speed, however).  It has a flight
class of D, but can slow down and stop in one round (speeding up is as normal).
The sphere can take simple commands of no more than two or three words (such
as Attack Her or Protect Me), and can act on its own towards its original
purpose (which is to protect the caster unless told otherwise).  The sphere
has 20 Hit Points, and will last indefinitely until the caster sends it out 
of its range or until it takes in excess of 20 hit points of damage.  The
sphere has an Armor Class equal to it's caster's -2 (caster AC 8 = Sphere
AC 6) and its Thac0 (or to hit table) is the same as its caster.
   The sphere can, once each round, deliver a kinetic blast at its target
which does d4 damage per level of its caster, or it can slam into someone
for d6 damage.  Note that it can do eithe or both of these actions in the
same round, but cannot use one of them twice.  The blast can do either stun
damage or killing damage (stun damage - only 1/4 of the hit points done are
real, the remainder simply counts towards knocking the target out).
   Any attacks that are directed at the caster can be intercepted by the
sphere if it is not slamming into an opponent, and as long as it is within
three feet of the caster at the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm afraid that's all the spells Katrine' worked out, so there are precious few
of many of the available levels, and none in others.  I will be adding to this
in time.
 
=======================
From: Thom(as) <[email-masked]>
 
This is a supplementary idea on how to handle spells in any given campiang to
make them perhaps a bit more interesting.  I'm not sure that it would work for
all games, but it has been fun in a game I recently began to run, so I decided
to pass it on to the great Net in the Sky.
     The basic idea is:
1) to individualize spells, making them more interesting to use and discover
2) to give players a prop to play with, and a small degree of sense of 'being
   there'.
3) to give the Game Master a bit more control over the world.
     There are a few parts to this idea, and most of them are not central to the
main gist (that is, throw it out if you like the basics, but not the frills ;).

     The main idea is that of the spells themselves.  In the game I am running,
I use the extenisve AD&D spell lists as a base to work from, not the actuality.
For example, the following is a spell in my campaign:

(Alenman's Ritual of) Minor Burning Hands                   Level 1 Wizardry
  Once cast, a fan of flame shoots from the mage's touching thumbs and
  outstretched hands.  The fan reaches three feet forward from the thumbs,
  and extends 60 degrees to the right and left, gradually shortening until
  the fan slopes into the wrists.  The flames change color depending on the
  power the mage is able to put into them, and follow this chart:
  
  Level of    Color of
  Mage        Flames       Damage       Will Ignite
  1-2         Yellow       1/level      easily flammables (paper, thin cloth)
  3-5         Orange       1.5/level    flammables (cloth, hair, kindling)
  6-8         Red          2/level      difficult flammables (wood)
  9-12        Violet       3/level      semi-flammables (wet wood)
  13+         Blue         5/level      many non-flammables (flesh)
  
  Save: None        Range: 0         Duration: 1 round
  Components: verbal (syllables of power), somatic (touching thumbs and
    spreading the fingers of each hand)
  Casting Time: 1 segment

     The mage who's master taught him this has a very individual spell.  There
are several versions of Burning Hands assumed to exist in the world, although
I have not written any of them other than this one and (Imri's Ritual of)
Searing Fingers.  Nor is it necessary to do so.
     Keep in mind that while supplements and such that are produced for others
to use as a reference have to be at least somewhat comprehensive.  Hence the
large number of spells that AD&D has produced for GMs to use.  However, in
your own campaign, you can make the blanket statement that 'there are several
billion spells' and not have to make them all up.  You only have to make the
ones your players are currently interacting with, and will interact with in
the near future.  Taking existing spells and modifying them with clever twists
and such, even making them somewhat more powerful (as in this case) is perfectly
acceptable.  Burning Hands, for example, should not become a second level spell
if it is made more powerful - the above example is STILL weaker than Magic
Missile!  Once started, since you will not need to generate many spells in this
manner to set the tone, you will find that creating entirely new spells is also
much easier than suspected.  Since you only have to focus on a few groups of
spells at a time, fleshing out the Diviner specialist mage becomes only a minor
problem.
 
     The second part of the idea is the 'spell book prop'.  The Minor Burning
Hands spell I gave above is currently written in my somewhat unsteady hand on
a single sheet of notebook paper.  There are three other spells as well, each
with their own sheets of paper.  Once I finished scribbling out the spell as
nicely and clearly as I could, I gave the spell sheets to the player who's
mage possesses them.  Since there are two mages in the party, I ended up writing
eight spells total, each individual.  With those eight spells created or
modified, I managed to create the impression of singular, individual spells in
the AD&D's somewhat generic universe, and also gave my players a spellbook to
work with.  One of my players, Billy, has been referring to his 'spell book'
often as he assesses the situation.
 
     A third part is the idea of spell scarcity.  Not that spells themselves
are scarce, quite the opposite!  But written copies of any given spell are
extremely rare.  There may be a grand total of seven copies of (Alenman's
Ritual of) Minor Burning Hands.  And without a Write spell, there will be no
more copies coming anytime soon.  Casters cannot copy spells from one spell
book to another without Write, although two *very* close friends may allow
one another to study the copy they have.  Nor will memorizing a spell and then
writing it down work - the manifest copy (written), and the memorized energy
pattern which allows you to cast a spell are two very different things.
     With the usage of this idea, I would suggest that their be a sort of
group monopoly on the Write spell.  Perhaps only a very few wizards have the
spell, and they jealously guard it (and the wealth it generates for them - since
they are the only ones who can do so, it demands a high price).  Or perhaps it
is a spell owned by 'the state' in some manner.  In Krynn, for example, the
idea could be adapted as something possessed by each Order.
     The primary effect of this is to make the spells (and the sheets you gave
the players) very precious indeed!  If two players want to trade spells, allow
them to trade the actual sheets of paper with the spells on them.  Finding a
spell book wil be a very rich find, and salvaging pages of a spell book a cause
for the mage to follow.
      Something else I just thought of is the once humorous effects of the
Bookworm become very deadly!  A mage under siege by the pale little parasite
might be tempted to measures as extreme as Finger of Death to kill the pest ;).
 
Anyway, I have little else that I know of to say.. send me comments :)
Thom(as)
[email-masked]
 
This text may be distributed at will as long as no commercial benefit is derived
from it.  Personal use is encouraged.