Subject: Some new spells for everyone
From: "nathan sugioka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1993 14:02:39 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

Just for general interest: Here's a couple spells I made up in my spare time.
The first few were made by a fire elementalist; the rest, by a straight mage
(actually a ranger/priestess/mage).

Fire Dart
  School: Invocation/evocation (elem. fire)
  Level: 2
  Components: V,S
  Range: 10 yds/lvl
  Casting time: 2
  Duration: Instantaneous
  Area of effect: Special
  Saving throw: None

  Similar to Magic Missile, this spell produces one missile per 2 caster
  levels, rounded up, with a maximum of 5.  The difference is that these
  missiles are made of flame; thus, they CAN be directed against non-living
  targets, and also set any flammable materials they hit on fire.

Lava Bolt
  School: Conjuration/summoning (elem. fire & earth)
  Level: 3
  Components: V,S,M
  Range: 10 yds/lvl
  Casting time: 3
  Duration: Instantaneous (see below)
  Area of effect: 1 creature or object
  Saving throw: None

  This spell conjures a bolt of molten lava which the caster throws as if he
  were a fighter of equal level (DEX bonuses apply).  If it hits a creature,
  it takes 3d6 impact damage plus 3d6 fire damage; unless the lava is somehow
  removed, the target will take another 3d6 each round, for 1 round for each
  3 levels beyond 5th of the caster (1 extra round at 8th, 2 extra at 11th...).
  The material component is a piece (at least 2 ounces) of pumice, volcanic
  glass, or other lava-based rock.

Lava Wave
  School: Conjuration/summoning (elem. fire)
  Level: 4
  Components: V,S,M
  Range: 10 yds/lvl
  Casting time: 4
  Duration: Instantaneous (see below)
  Area of effect: 20 by 40 rectangle OR 30 by 30 square
  Saving throw: Special

  This spell is similar to Lava Wave except that it conjures a wave of molten
  lava over the given area.  All creatures within take 1d6/2 levels of the
  caster (rounded up; max. 6); unless a successful save is made, this damage
  will continue, at the rate of 3d6 per round, for 1 round per 3 levels of the
  caster beyond 4th.  The material component is 4 ounces of volcanic rock, and
  an open flame of any kind (the flame is not extinguished in the casting).

Elemental Join
  School: Alteration, Enchantment/charm (elem. fire, earth, air, or water)
  Level: 5
  Components: V,S
  Range: 5 yds/lvl
  Casting time: 1 round
  Duration: 1 turn/level
  Area of effect: 1 elemental
  Saving throw: Special

  With this spell, the wizard physically joins her body with an elemental.  A
  saving throw is allowed only if the elemental is not one the wizard has
  conjured.  Once the wizard's body has joined with the elemental, the wizard
  can use all the abilities of the elemental's body as her own, including
  Hit Dice, THACO, damage, movement and invulnerability to nonmagic weapons.
  However, as the wizard's body and any equipment on it are transformed into
  the appropriate element and joined with the elemental's body, this equipment
  cannot be used in any way while inside the elemental's body.  The only spells
  that can be cast are those not requiring material components (those
  components are stuck inside the elemental's body), and even then the
  elemental must be able to speak (I don't think most can).

  The wizard may end the spell at any time.  The wizard's body appears anywhere
  within 10 feet of the elemental.  If the elemental is one the wizard has
  conjured, she may dismiss it at the same time; if not, the elemental is
  likely to be furious, so the wise wizard will be cautious.  Note that both
  caster and elemental will be confused and disoriented (no action) for 1 round
  after the separation.  The maximum duration in any case is 1 turn per level
  of the caster.

  There are several important things to note about this spell.  First, if the
  elemental's body is slain with the wizard inside, the wizard dies.  Second,
  if the spellcaster is attempting to take over an elemental conjured by
  another wizard, the elemental gets the save of its conjuring wizard OR its
  own (whichever is better); in either case, there is a +2 bonus (representing
  the prior claim of control by the conjurer).  Third, the new body takes some
  getting used to; the caster is at -2 to hit for the first 2 strikes she takes
  against an opponent.

Matthew's Hellfire
  School: Invocation/evocation (elem. fire)
  Level: 5
  Components: V,S,M
  Range: 5 yds/lvl
  Casting time: 5
  Duration: Instantaneous
  Area of effect: 1 creature
  Saving throw: Special

  This spell causes white-hot flames to appear around an opponent's body,
  causing (1d6+1) points of damage per level of the caster.  A saving throw
  for half damage is allowed, at a -2 penalty.  The material component is
  a small ruby, of at least 100 gp value.

Non-fire spells:

Darksight
  School: Alteration
  Level: 2
  Components: V,S
  Range: Touch
  Casting time: 2
  Duration: 5 rounds/caster level
  Area of effect: 1 creature
  Saving throw: None

  This spell allows the creature touched to see clearly in any form of
  darkness, magical or not.  It does not allow detection of invisible, out of
  phase, ethereal or astral creatures, nor does it compensate for any blindness
  due to natural or magical causes.

Somaticize
  School: Alteration
  Level: 2
  Components: V
  Range: 0
  Casting time: 1
  Duration: Special
  Area of effect: Caster
  Saving throw: None

  With this spell, the caster may cast another spell without somatic
  components.  Somaticize is cast; the round afterwards, the other spell must
  be cast, or all benefits are lost.  This spell has obvious uses for a bound
  or otherwise restricted wizard.