Subject: Re: New Spells to Research
From: [email-masked] (Niels Ull Jacobsen)
Date: 12 Nov 92 10:59:38 GMT

Well, this one worked wonders for my M.U./Thief, Thaila:

Secret Light (2nd level) (reversible)
All statistics as for the normal 1st level Light, except that only the
caster can see the light. This of course means that it can in no way be
used as an attack (blinding people, harming certain undead, etc.) It will
cancel/be cancelled by magical darkness, just like Light. The material are 
as for light plus two drops of blood and a tear from the caster.

It can be reversed to Secret Darkness, although this normally isn't
very useful. Perhaps if in presence of a blinding light you could cast
secret darkness at the light source, so that you wouldn't be blinded?
Of course, you'd better have another source of illumination handy. And
it wouldn't save a vampire from the effects of direct sunlight - the
light is still hitting his body, he just can't see it.

And of course (though my character never actually got this to work)

Continual Secret Light (4th level)
Does the same for Continual Light as Secret Light does for Light.
Preliminary research seems to indicate that it requires at least
an ounce of blood from the caster. But it'll sure be handy for your
keep.

It also seems that it would be possible to make a magical lantern,
whose light would only be visible to the person holding it. The exact
process of its manufacture is not very clear, however.

Just a few ideas. I would like to see some comments. Should they be
higher level? Are they too useful?

BTW, where do I send these spells to have them included in the various
net.books ?

   Niels Ull Jacobsen, Dep. of C.S., U of Copenhagen ([email-masked])
   Adaz sighed.  "So how long will this journey take?" 
   "A month?" Sutekh shrugged.  "Depends on when the horses die." 
     -- from "Adaz & Sutekh" by Jeff Stehman