Subject: Spells your own wizard has researched
From: [email-masked] (Steinar Bergstol)
Date: 8 May 1994 20:44:08 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

Well, I thought I'd start a thread where people can post spells their PCs
(or NPCs if you're a DM with some hommade spells for your Nasty-Evil-Mage (tm))

So, to start it off, here's one of the spells researched by my own PC. An elven
fighter/mage named Jalander Northstar. Having survived numerous adventures
through skill, determination and a WHOLE lot of luck, he decided that it was
time to get himself an edge over all those spellcasters out there that relied
on the standard spells everyone knew about. In other words, time to do some
research. The result of his first attempt at researching a spell was this:

Northstar's Song Of The Elves
-----------------

Level	      : 6
School        : Enchantment/Charm
Components    : V/S/M
Duration      : 1 round +1 round/level
Range	      : 0
Casting time  : 3
Area of effect: Special
Saving throw  : Negated

When this spell is cast the wizard raises his hands to the sky and starts
singing. As soon as he does this a choir of beautiful elven voices joins
in the song and keeps singing for the duration of the spell, or until it
is ended by the caster or dispelled.

Creatures withing hearing range of the song (the volume is about as high as
a normal choir) must make a save vs. spells with the following modifiers:

	- Within 10 yards of casting point: No modifier
	- Within 20 yards of casting point: +2 bonus to save
	- Within 30 yards of casting point: +3 Bonus to save
	- 30+ yards from casting point    : +4 bonus to save

	- Listener is Elven		  : No modifier (after resistance roll)
	- Listener is Human		  : -1 penalty
	- Listener is Goblinoid (Orc,
	  Goblin, Hobgoblin, Ogre etc..)  : +1 bonus
	- Listener is animal intelligence : +2 bonus
	- Deaf creatures		  : Unaffected
	- Listener is non intelligent (0) : Unaffected
	- Adjustment for high or low wisdom

The area of effect will stay in the same spot as it was cast, and will not move
with the caster if he decides to walk away.

The maximum aera of effect is as far as the DM decides it is possible to
clearly hear the song. This will of course be modified by weatherconditions,
noise in the area and anything else the DM thinks appropriate. For example
it might be impossible to hear the spell beyond 5 yards in a storm, this
would mean that nothing beyond 5 yards from the casting point would be
affected, it would also here be appropriate to give the save bonus of +4, or
maybe even higher if the DM thinks it appropriate. The Modifiers above assume
relatively normal conditions.

A creature failing the save will stop whatever they are doing to listen to
the singing. Anyone so affected who is attacked must make a save vs. spells
with a -4 penalty. If he makes the save the spell is broken and he may act
normally, if not he will still defend himself from his attacker, but only 
half heartedly (No bonuses for dex or strength (penalties still apply), the
Thac0 of a character half his level (round down), thief skills function at
half effectiveness. And to cast a spell one has to make a save vs. spells
modified by wisdom, if it fails the caster fails to concentrate properly and
the spell is wasted. All proficiency checks are made with a -4 penalty).

Allies of the caster recieve a +1 bonus to hit rolls, initiative, saves,
proficiency checks and AC.

At the end of the spell all enemies of the caster still affected by the spell
makes another save vs. spells with a +4 bonus and adjusted by Wisdom. If they
fail the save they will be affected as a confusion spell for 1D6 rounds.

The caster need not be singing for more than the first round. If he does
continue though all saves are further adjusted by a -1 penalty (enemies) or a
+1 bonus (allies) for as long as he keeps singing (within the duration of the
spell). This takes concentration, so no other actions may be taken by the 
caster in that round.

The material component for this spell is a small platinum figurine of a 
songbird worth 100 goldpieces. The figurine crumbles to dust at the moment the
spell ends.