Subject: Meta Spells
From: [email-masked] (Nathaniel Tagg)
Date: 22 Jul 92 22:30:16 GMT

Our DM is really tough.  Magi in our campaign must re-memorize their
spells every morning if they wish to have them during today.  (Yes, they can
take 'empty slots' and memorize spells on the fly if they wish.)  Further, he
insists that the magi take 10 minutes per spell level to memorize each spell. 
Having mages that are approaching 10th level, this means a full spell roster
will take on the order of six to seven hours to memorize.  Lastly, if the mage
is woken during the night, at least an hour or so since he went to sleep, he
has lost his spells and must wait to memorize them in the morning.
        Note: I do not wish to start or re-start a thread about spell
memorization.  Instead, for those players caught in such a trap as this, try to
convince you DM to let you have this spell, recently developed by Terry
Nimbleton, Transmuter

The Nimbleton Hold
Enchantment/Alteration
Level: 4
Components: V,S,M
Casting time: 1 turn
Duration: 1 day
Save: N/A
AOE: The caster

By means of this spell, the caster places a number of spells 'on hold' for the
next day. The spell is intended for casting at night, before sleep.  The held
spells are stored in the caster's memory for the evening undesturbed.  If the
caster is awoken, the spells are available to him, and are used up normally
when cast.  In the morning, the spells are still retained, and will remain with
the caster as though he had spent the time to memorize them that morning.
    The caster may retain a number of spell levels equal to 9 + 2 per caster 
level. (i.e. a 9th level caster may retain 27 spell levels worth of spells.)
The material compenent is any form of headpiece (hat, hairnet, comb, skull cap,
whatever) and must be specially enchanted by the caster of the spell.  The cost
to construct this item is 500gp.  The item must be worn both while memorizing
the spells to be retained, and when the Hold spell is cast, though not while
cating the spells.
      Note that because a cast spell is lost as per usual, the Nimbleton Hold
must itself be memorized and cast every day.   (Therefore, a 9th level mage
saves himself 270 minutes memorization time in the morning, but at some other
time during the day spend 50 minutes to memorize and cast the Hold.  Thus, his
total savings are 220 minutes, or three hours forty minutes.  In addition, the
mage may defend himself with the held spells during the night or morning before
memorizing the next day's list.)

   This will not apply to many of you, but to those to whom it does apply, I
hope it helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Nathaniel Tagg               The U of Hell,  Lethbridge, AB
    "It's just a matter of putting one point seven one five three seven two
and two point two oh four six two eight together."     --The Doctor 
___The opinions expressed by the author of the preceding message are not 
nessesarily representative of the opinions of the author of the
preceding message.____
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------