Subject: 2 new spells...
From: [email-masked] (Roger Terrell)
Date: 21 Feb 88 23:41:26 GMT

Following are 2 new spells (AD&D) for the Magic-user.  Although I think that
they are balanced, the 2nd one (Flashburn) should be introduced with caution
to your world as it is not the sort of spell you would want every M-U throwing
around.  Enjoy them, and if you would like to contribute to a regular
digest of new magic and monsters, e-mail your contributions to me.  They
will be posted to the net along with any/all others that arrive.

Spitfire (Evocation)

Level: 2				Components: V,S,M
Range: 3"				Casting Time: 3 segments
Duration: 1 round + 2 segments/level	Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: 1 creature

Explanation/Description:  The casting of this spell causes the recipient
(victim) to be surrounded by a swarm of small popping, fire-cracker-like
bursts of fire.  While these bursts do little damage--only 1 hp per 
segment--and only 1 hp per round to anyone wearing armor other than a
shield--they make it impossible to concentrate to the degree necessary
to cast any spell.  This spell will do no damage at all to anyone who
is thoroughly soaked in water, but the concentration-breaking effects of
the spell still function.  The material component of this spell is a
pinch of sulfur.

Flashburn (Evocation-Alteration)

Level: 5				Components: V,S,M
Range: 2" + 1"/level			Casting Time: 2 segments
Duration: Instantaneous			Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: 1 creature

Explanation/Description:  This spell causes a stunning burst of fire to
explode around the victim.  Such is the suddeness of this burst that any
creature so struck must make a save vs. paralyzation or be stunned for
2-12 rounds.  While this explosive shock is intense in the extreme, it is
also confined so that others even within a couple of feet of the victim
will receive no damage.  All items on the person of (or being touched by)
the victim must save vs. fireball or be destroyed.  The individual graced
by this spell will receive 1d6 (counting all 1's as 2's) of damage per
level of the caster.  There is no saving throw vs the fire effect of this
spell unless the creature struck is resistant to fire.  In this instance,
a save for 1/2 damage is applicable.  The material component of this
spell is a jasper stone worth at least 50 gp.

--Roger

-- 

Roger Terrell
Muskingum College			...cbosgd!musky2!terrell (UUCP)
New Concord, OH  43762

From: [email-masked] (Roger Terrell)
Subject: AD&D: Spells from 'Thra (my game world)

After receiving some good feedback from my posting of "Interesting shops
for your cities," I have decided to start posting further information
about my game world (which those shops were drawn from).  I will be
posting a separate article introducing the world soon, but I just
thought I would toss out a couple of spells now, since those are 
always in demand (plus they don't take long to type in).

A note regarding "ownership" of material from my game world:  If I
post it, you may assume that I have given up any ownership for it
that I might have had.  If you use the material substantially unchanged,
I would appreciate it if you kept my name on it, but that is only
a personal request.

Anyway, here are a couple of spells for you to play with.  They are
quite high level, so use them with discretion.  They are in 2nd
edition format, but don't take that seriously if you don't use
that edition...

PRIEST SPELLS

7th Level Spells

Razorwind  (Alteration/Evocation)

Sphere: Elemental (Air), Combat
Range: 5 yards per level
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1
Casting Time: 8
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Saving Throw: Special

By means of this spell, the caster brings about a transformation
of the air about himself, "compressing" large volumes of it into
a minute area and sending it at a target.  Though this wind has
no actual "edge," it is highly effective when it strikes its
target, causing 1d8 (1-8) points of damage per level of the
caster.  In addition, the victim of the Razorwind must make a
saving throw vs. Rods or an extremity will be severed (as per a
blow from a Sword of Sharpness)!  This saving throw is modified
by "+1" for each plus of magical armor the target is wearing
(ONLY armor; not shields, rings, bracers, etc).  In addition
persons wearing plate mail or better receive an extra "+1" on the
saving roll.

Because such a large volume of air is needed to create the
Razorwind, this spell can only be cast outdoors or in a chamber
of vast size (DM's discretion).  If it is cast in a smaller,
confined area (e.g., indoors or underground passage), it will not
function and everyone in the area will suffer a momentary loss of
air.  

The material components for this spell are the holy symbol of the
caster, a bloodstone, and a small, flat piece of steel.

WIZARD SPELLS

6th Level Spells

Mage Lock (Alteration/Evocation)

Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1 turn
Area of Effect: Special
Saving Throw: None

This powerful dweomer causes the sealing of a thing with far
greater effectiveness than that caused by a Hold Portal or a
Wizard Lock spell.  The Mage Lock can only be cast on certain
things:  Boxes or chests made of iron, steel, or harder metals,
or on doors made of the same and set into a wall at least as hard
as hard stone.

When the Mage Lock spell is cast, the Wizard chooses a single
person--other than himself--who is to be able to open the sealed
box, chest, or door.  When the spell is done the item is sealed
and ONLY the individual who was named in the casting will be able
to open it.  The item will be unaffected by Knock spells, Chimes
of Opening, or similar magics, and will have a Magic Resistance
of 25% with regard to other magics, and a "+2" on all saves.

If the person named in the spell should die before the item is
opened--for the spell holds only until the item is opened once--
then the item cannot be opened by anyone until the caster of the
spell is dead.  If the item has not been opened by the time both
the wizard and the person named die, the Mage Lock dissapates.

The material components of this spell are:  A diamond, worth no
less than 5,000gp, 4 small iron cubes, and a drop of blood from
the person to be named in the spell.

-- 
Roger Terrell
...!gatech!kong!ncratl!rterrell     - or -     ...!ncrlnk!ncratl!rterrell