Subject: Re: New Spells to Research
From: [email-masked] (Marcus M. Trevino)
Date: 11 Nov 92 05:24:07 GMT

This one comes compliments of a 10th/11th Mage-Thief in one of my  campaigns
this summer.

Chelymber's Impoved Non-Detection

Spell level    : 5th
Casting Time   : 4
Components     : V,S
Area of Effect : 20' X 20' cubicle
Duration       : 2 turns + 1 round/per 3 levels
Range        : Person Touched

Spell Description:(I can't remember the actual wording right now)

This spell will basically stop all diviniation magic below that of
True Seeing from properly working.  It will also foil all detect
spells of lesser spell level than True Seeing from operating properly.
This speel will even stop detection from magical items like a
Robe of Eyes, ring of invisiblity detection, innate abilities that
perform similiar magic to that of detect spells lower than True Seeing,
etc.

Another suggestion is to research a Sleep Spell that will NOT  affect the
caster and can effectively put to sleep higher level creatures.  Or possibly
a Sleep spell that will effect one creature regardless of level, but effected
by class and saving throws, i.e. a sleep spell specifically designed for
those nasty fighters, and not just limited to single class fighters, who
like to come after us passive, kind, and compassionate mages for no reason
whatsoever.

Basically, the list of spells to research is endless.  If you can't think of
a new original spell, why not try to research a spell that you have heard
about( i.e. say you have heard of a fireball, but don't personally have it)
or you can simply improve a lower level spell.  Why not create an improved
version of magic missile, but call it magic spears and have it do more
damage per hit.  Why not create a counter to a spell, or a reverse of a
spell that does not have one.  Why not create an IceBlast that does as
much damage as a fireball, and will help you a whole lot against a
pissed off efreet.  Just let your mind wonder, and remember, a good mage
will learn how to use a wide variety of spells effectively, but a GREAT
mage will create a Wide Variety of Unique Spells and use them even more
effectively.

TheDM @ Stanford University

Marcus Trevino