Subject: Addendum to the Spell Book
From: [email-masked] (Jason Nelson)
Date: 31 May 90 21:43:21 GMT

The spells are all ones researched by a 10th lvl Lawful Good 1st Ed Magic-User
of mine, who generally goes by Alpha (I dunno why I chose that name--I was
10 when I first made up the character).  The spells have all been converted
over to 2nd Ed format.  The mage has been pretty much inactive, except for
a few one-shot affairs, since sometime in 1984 when I went through the Against
the Giants series of modules.  Several of these spells have been ripped off
>from magic items (Spark Shower, Ball Lightning, Ray of Paralyis, Shooting
Stars, Incantation of Elemental Domination, Elemental Form (a D&D potion)),
and some have been ripped off from divine abilities of one sort or another,
most notably those ripped off from the divine abilities of the Greyhawk deity
Celestian (Star Gaze, Comet, Heat Lightning, Aurora Borealis, etc.).  Dispel
Silence didn't get the Alpha's ... prefix because somebody told me about the
spell, but I didn't have a copy of it, so I researched it.  It's pretty much
the same as the Dispel Silence spell in the Forgotten Realms set (and presumably
in the FR Adventures hardbound).  Other than such adapted spells (there are
others that are adapted, like Blue Blaze and Starblades), I made all of the
rest of them up out of whole cloth, often drawing inspiration on something
that I had read about in a book or something (those who read the Gord the
Rogue books may find the Balefire spell very similar to the breath of the
Shadow Dragon on the Plane of Shadow from Gord's adventures in "City of Hawks").
I claim full originality on these spells.  If anybody else uses these spells
without giving due credit to the author, we will find you, and we will kill
you.  If anyone starts some sort of stupid argument about the validity of
this or that symbol or statement of copyrighting, we will find you, and we
will kill you.  If anyone stands on their heads while eating raw cucumbers
and juggling sixteen leeks as they read this, we will find you, and we will
kill you.  That said and done, on to the spells.

Incidentally, there are 51 spells here, 6 each of 1st-2nd lvl, 12 each of
3rd-5th lvl, and 3 or 6th lvl.  Of course, he hasn't actually researched
the sixth level spells yet, since he can't, but this is the effect he is
desiring to achieve.  If wanting to incorporate this guy as an NPC, he
lives in the Kingdom of Furyondy in the World of Greyhawk, with his 8th
level paladin buddy, Tjaden Ludendorff.  He's got a White Robe of the
Arch-Magi, a +3 Ring of Protection, a Wand of Paralyzation (40), a scroll
with Wish on it, and he may have a Ring of Wizardry for 3rd lvl, but I
don't remember.  I think that may have gotten toasted somewhere.

**************************************************************
*                                                            *
* Spells Of Alpha The Mage, by Jason Nelson, Copyright 1990. *
*                                                            *
**************************************************************

SPELLS RESEARCHED BY ALPHA:

1st   Alpha's Acid Stream
      Alpha's Electric Arc
      Alpha's Hunting Hound
      Alpha's Sparkle Beam
      Alpha's Starlight
      Alpha's Wall of Darkness

2nd   Alpha's Moonlight
      Alpha's Rainbow Beam
      Alpha's Spark Shower
      Alpha's Star Gaze
      Alpha's Starblades
      Dispel Silence

3rd   Alpha's Comet
      Alpha's Darklight
      Alpha's Flames of the Faltine
      Alpha's Heat Lightning
      Alpha's Ice Bolt
      Alpha's Images of Ikonn
      Alpha's Lightwall
      Alpha's Lucent Lance
      Alpha's Night of the Leonids
      Alpha's Rolling Thunder
      Alpha's Silverlight
      Alpha's Starfire

4th   Alpha's Acid Rainstorm
      Alpha's Acid Resistance
      Alpha's Ball Lightning
      Alpha's Chill of the Void
      Alpha's Elemental Form
      Alpha's Firefall
      Alpha's Flames of Falroth
      Alpha's Hunting Pack
      Alpha's Rainbow Blast
      Alpha's Ray of Paralysis
      Alpha's Shadowfire
      Alpha's Sheet Lightning

5th   Alpha's Aurora Borealis
      Alpha's Balefire
      Alpha's Blue Blaze
      Alpha's Incantation of Elemental Domination
      Alpha's Lightningarmor
      Alpha's Moons of Munnopoor
      Alpha's Saint Elmo's Fire
      Alpha's Shooting Stars
      Alpha's Spectral Hound
      Alpha's Star-Powered Magery
      Alpha's Starshield
      Alpha's Wizard Light

Planned Research:

6th   Alpha's Firefountain
      Alpha's Rainbow Warrior
      Alpha's Starlight Citadel

FIRST LEVEL SPELLS:

Alpha's Acid Stream (Conjuration)

Level: 1                                Components: VSM
R: 30 yards                             Casting Time: 1
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect:  One target

      The spell causes a thin stream of purplish, hissing acid to shoot forth
>from the caster's outstretched hand, out to the maximum range of the spell.
This acid causes 1d4 damage per level of the caster, up to a maximum of 8d4.
The intended target may attempt a save vs. petrification to dodge the jet of
acid (save at -4 if size G, -2 if size H, -1 if size L, +1 if size S, and +3
if size T), and if successful the jet of acid will have been avoided, and will
continue on in a straight line out to the extent of its range.  Any creature
in the path of the acid must save as above or be struck by the spell.  The
Acid Stream can affect only one target in any event.  The material component
is a drop of any acid.

Alpha's Electric Arc (Evocation)

Level: 1                                Components: V,S
Range: 10 yards + 10 yards/level        Casting Time: 1
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: One target

      This spell causes an arc of electricity to leap from the caster's
extended fingertip.  This electricity unerringly strikes one target of the
caster's choice, inflicting 1d4 damage, plus one point per level of the
caster (up to a maximum of +12), with no saving throw.  A target in metal
armor or wielding a large, mostly metallic weapon (e.g. any sword, battle
axe) must save vs. spells and, if the save is failed, the bonus (i.e. per
level) damage inflicted by the spell is doubled.

Alpha's Hunting Hound (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level: 1                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10 yards                         Casting Time:  1 round
Duration: 12 turns + 6 turns/level      Saving Throw: none
Area of Effect: One creature

      This spell calls a canine creature to be a helper and boon
companion to the spell caster for the duration of the spell.  The type
of hound summoned depends upon the caster's level, but the hound will
always understand verbal commands given it, so long as they are 12 words
or less and relatively simple.  The hound will further also be capable
of tracking as if a ranger of half the level of the summoner, and can
hunt sufficiently well to feed the spell-caster for one day, provided
there is game extant in the caster's area.

      The type of hound summoned is as follows:

    1st  -  3rd level:  jackal
    4th  -  7th level:  wild dog
    8th  - 12th level:  wolf
   13th  +      level:  dire wolf

      If the caster takes a lower-level hound (or a dire wolf when 18th
level), it will have maximum hit points, be +1 to hit and on damage, track
at +1 level, and can understand even relatively complex commands of up to
50 words in length.  The material component is a piece of fresh meat.

Alpha's Sparkle Beam (Evocation)

Level: 1                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 1
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: 1' x 20' x 5' cone

     This spell draws upon the power of the Positive Material Plane and
calls forth a ray of golden light.  Anyone in the area of effect of the
spell must save vs. petrification or be blinded for 1 round.  The true
function of this spell, however, is its use against undead, creatures of
the Lower Planes, and those drawing power from the Negative Material Plane
or the Plane of Shadow.  Such creatures suffer 1d4 damage, plus an additional
1d4 at every even level of the caster (e.g. 4d4 at 8th), up to a maximum of
8d4.  These creatures may save vs. spells to halve this damage.  The material
component is a bit of crushed sunstone.

Alpha's Starlight (Evocation/Illusion)

Level: 1                                Components: VSM
Range: 5 yds/lvl                        Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: 1 turn/lvl                    Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: 10' square area/lvl

      This spell illuminates an area as a cloudless outdoor night sky filled
with stars.  This light is pale and wan, and dilutes vision mostly to black
and white.  Full visual acuity is possible only out to a range of 10 yards,
but general identification can be made out to 20 yards.  Stationary figures
can be made out at 40 yards, and movement detected out to 80 yards.  Inter-
vening cover will, of course, reduce sighting distances accordingly.  This
light does not interfere with infravision, and there are ample shadows within
the area of effect to hide in.  The illusionary component of the spell creates
the appearance of an actual starry night sky.  The area of effect is stationary.
The material component is a piece of black velvet and a few bits of glass.

Alpha's Wall of Darkness (Alteration)

Level: 1                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 60 yards                         Casting Time: 2
Duration: 1 round/level                 Saving Throw: none
Area of Effect: 10' x 10' sq./level

      This spell brings into being a wall of blackness which cannot
be seen through, even with infravision or ultravision.  It is dispelled
instantly by a light or continual light (q.v.) spell.  It has no physical
existence, and does not hinder nor harm those passing through it.  It
does, however, block the passage of sound from one side to the other,
assuming that the spell is not cast in such a way (such as in a field
of grass) which would otherwise allow sound to move around the edges of
the wall.  The material component is some pitch and soot, or a lump of
coal.

SECOND LEVEL SPELLS:

Alpha's Moonlight (Evocation)

Level: 2                                Components: VSM
Range: 5 yds/lvl                        Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: 1 turn/lvl                    Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: 10'/lvl radius circle

      This spell creates an area of soft blue-grey light, apparently coming
downwards from above.  This light effectively washes out all color, but clear
vision is certainly possible within the area of effect.  Vision is also possible
out to 10 yards beyond the spell's radius, but such vision is dim and shadowy
at best.  The moonlight does not interfere in any way with infravision, but the
nature of the light is such that creatures adversely affected by bright light
suffer only half the normal penalties when within the Moonlight and none when
within its shadowy fringes.  The Moonlight spell may be centered on the caster,
in which case it moves with him.  Otherwise, the spell must be cast on an area
and is stationary.  The material component of this spell is a moonstone that
has been exposed to actual moonlight for a full night.

Alpha's Rainbow Beam (Evocation)

Level: 2                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10' + 5'/lvl                     Casting Time: 2
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: Neg.
Area of Effect: One target

      This spell draws upon the power of the Quasi-Elemental Plane of
Radiance and brings forth a beam of pure light.  The color of the light
making up the beam is normally randomly determined by a roll of a d8.
However, the caster has a chance equal to 5% per level of being able
to select the color of the beam (the caster may NOT select a multi-hued
beam.  Such occurs only as the result of an aberration in the magic).
The colors of the beams are as follows:

      1   red (cold)                  5   blue (electrical)
      2   orange (heat)               6   indigo (holy water)
      3   yellow (acid)               7   violet (force)
      4   green (poison)              8   multi-hued beam - roll twice
                                              ignoring 8's

      The beam does a base of 2d6, plus an additional point of damage
for each level of the caster (e.g. a 7th level caster would inflict 9-19
(2d6+7) points of damage).  Any creature resistant to the attack form
indicated by the color of the beam takes NO damage, while a creature
vulnerable to the specific attack form (such as heat vs. a yeti) will
suffer double damage.  A saving throw indicates that the beam has missed
and the intended victim is unaffected.  Note that the beam may hit a
target other than the one intended.  Once the beam hits a solid object,
it stops, even if that object is transparent.  Any creature suffering
damage from the spell must make item saving throws if appropriate.
The material component of the spell is a small clear gem or crystal prism
worth at least 50 g.p.

Alpha's Spark Shower (Evocation)

Level: 2                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 2
Duration: 1 round                       Saving Throw: 1/2
Area of Effect:  5' x 20' long x 10'
       base wedge shape

      The caster extends his arms and speaks the spell, and a sheet of sizzling
purple sparks shoots forth from the caster's hands.  These sparks cause 1d4
electrical damage per three levels of the caster, rounded up, to a maximum of
5d4.  Those wielding metal weapons (swords, etc.) or wearing partially metal
armor (ring, scale, chain) save at -2 and suffer +1 point of damage per die.
Those wearing full metal armor (splint, banded, plate, etc.) save at -4 and
suffer double damage.  The material component is a bit of fur, glass, and
copper.

Alpha's Star Gaze (Evocation)

Level: 2                                Components: V
Range: 60 yards                         Casting Time: 2
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: 1 creature/2 levels

      This spell causes a blazing white sheet of light to issue from
the caster's eyes.  This sheet will envelop a number of creatures based
on the caster's level.  Those who fail a save vs. petrification will
be blinded for a full turn.  Those who do save are merely dazzled (-2
on to hit and AC) for 1 round, having looked away just in time.  Dark
dependent creatures such as drow and gray dwarves save at a -4 vs.
this spell, and the duration of its effects are doubled.

Alpha's Starblades (Conjuration)

Level: 2                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10' + 10'/level                  Casting Time: 2
Duration: 1 round/2 levels              Saving Throw: none
Area of Effect: Up to 1 target/3 levels

      This spell creates one magical star-shaped bladed weapon for each three
levels of the caster, up to a maximum of seven.  The caster may then throw
these as weapons, out to the spell's maximum range.  They are treated as
Slashing weapons with respect to effectiveness vs. armor, and the caster's
to hit rolls with them are at +3, in addition to any bonus for high dexterity.
Each Starblade that strikes causes 2d4 damage, +2 vs. creatures with powers
drawing on the negative material plane or plane of shadow.  The material
component is a small silver star.

Dispel Silence (Abjuration)

Level: 2                                Components: S,M
Range: 10 yards/level                   Casting Time: 2
Duration: 1 round/level                 Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: 15' radius

      When cast, this spell automatically dispels any magical silence
within its area of effect.  Furthermore, no silence spell will have
effect within the area of effect for the duration of the spell.
      The casting of this spell requires a small silver bell, chime,
or gong, which must be struck twice, at the end of each segment of
casting.  The device must be worth at least 50 g.p., and is consumed
in the casting.

THIRD LEVEL SPELLS:

Alpha's Comet (Evocation/Conjuration)

Level: 3                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10' + 5'/level                   Casting Time: 3
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: none
Area of Effect:  Special

      This spell creates a flaming missile with a trail of superheated noxious
gases.  The comet unerringly strikes one target, the impact causing 3d6 damage
and the flames an additional 3d6.  Furthermore, any creature within 5' of the
comet's path will suffer 2d4 fire damage.  All those within 5' of the point
of impact will suffer 3d4.  Anyone who suffers damage from this spell is also
considered to have been engulfed in the noxious fumes, and will be at -2 on
all rolls (10% spell failure chance) for 1-6 rounds due to coughing, choking,
and blurred vision.  The material component is a ball of pitch mixed with
sulfur and phosphorus.

Alpha's Darklight (Alteration)

Level: 3                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10 yards/level                   Casting Time: 3
Duration: 1 turn + 1 round/level        Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: 15' radius globe

      This spell is exactly the same as the second level magic-user spell
darkness 15' radius (q.v.), except in that the caster can see normally
through the darkness so created as if in normal lighting conditions.
Alternatively, the caster can bestow the visual benefits to another
character by crushing the material component and sprinkling the dust
into the eyes of the recipient.  The material component is a piece of
coal or charcoal, which must be crushed and applied as above.  Note
that the spell only allows normal vision through the darkness caused
by the particular casting, and lends no benefit towards other darness,
either normal or magical.

Alpha's Flames of the Faltine (Alteration/Evocation)

Level: 3                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 3
Duration: 2 rounds + 1 round/level      Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Special

      This spell sheathes the caster in hot yellow flames and blurs the caster's
features somewhat, causing them to assume a smooth and somewhat indistinct
shape, also turning a dark red color.  The flames will appear to be present
even coming out of the caster's eyes and mouth.  These flames give the caster
no special protection, but they do shed bright light in a 30' radius.  Further-
more, any creature striking the caster with a claw, bite, or similar attack
or a hand-held weapon less than 5 feet long will suffer damage as though
contacting a Wall of Fire spell (q.v.)--2d6 damage + 1 point per level of
the caster.  Undead suffer double damage, and creatures especially susceptible
to flame may also take additional damage.  The caster may attempt a melee attack
to burn others with this fire, a successful blow causing 1d6 damage + 1 point
per two levels of the caster.  Creatures passing within a 5' radius of the
caster suffer 1d4 heat damage.  By standing still and concentrating, the caster
may extend this heat radiation, inflicting 2d4 within a 5' radius and 1d4
within a 10' radius, but this falls back to the usual level if the caster stops
concentrating or resumes moving.  The caster can attempt to destroy inanimate
objects by touching them, requiring a save vs. normal fire to avoid destruction.
This may be attempted once per round, at a -1 cumulative penalty for each
consecutive round of handling.  Items on the caster's person at the time of
the casting of this spell are unaffected by the flame.  The caster may end this
spell prematurely if desired.  The material component for this spell is a flask
of oil, poured over the caster's head during the casting of the spell, and an
open flame of any size.

Alpha's Heat Lightning (Evocation)

Level: 3                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10 yards/level                   Casting Time: 3
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: 1/2
Area of Effect: One Creature

      This spell calls down a bolt of reddish-purple lightning which
strikes a single creature within range.  The bolt inflicts 1d6 of
damage per level of the caster.  Cold or water-based creatures suffer
an additional 1 point of damage per die, while creatures resistant to
heat OR electricity suffer 1/2 normal damage (1/4 with a successful
save).  All non-magical metal worn by the target must save vs. lightning
(at +2 if the save was made, but at -2 if the save was failed) or be
fused to any nearby metal (sword fused to gauntlet, pieces of armor
fused together, preventing movement).  The material component of this
spell is a short glass rod, a bit of fur, and a bit of iron or lodestone.

Alpha's Ice Bolt (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level: 3                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 60 yards                         Casting Time: 3
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: Special

      With this spell, the magic-user opens a small hole in the spatial
fabric into the preternatural cold of the para-elemental plane of ice.
It brings forth a shaft of solid para-elemental ice 6 inches thick and
10 feet long (the hole is opened for only a very brief time).  This
missile hits with great force, causing 3-30 points of damage from the
impact alone.  If the target saves vs. petrification, only a glancing
blow is dealt, and the victim suffers only 1-10 points of damage.
      An additional save (also vs. petrification, and at +4 if only
a glancing blow was suffered) must be made, or the victim will be stunned
for 1-6 rounds from the force of the blow.
      The ice absorbs heat from the nearby air, and this causes 1-6 points
of cold damage (no saving throw) to all within 5 feet of the bolt's path,
and within a 10' radius of the target creature.  The bolt shatters upon
striking its target, and the victim will suffer an additional 4-24 points
of cold damage (2-12 if only a glancing blow was suffered).
      Fire-using creatures take double damage from the cold caused by the
bolt, while those resistant to cold take none.  Both types of creatures
suffer full damage from the bolt itself.
      Water-based creatures in liquid form will suffer only 1-10 points
of damage from the blow, and cannot be stunned, but they will automatically
be slowed for 2-8 melee rounds.
      If the target creature is struck fully (i.e. fails the initial saving
throw), then exposed items on that side of the caster must make a save vs.
crushing blow, and all items carried by the caster must save vs. magical
frost (note also that items on the side struck by the bolt must save at
-10, due to the cold and the blow).
      The material component of this spell is a clear gem worth not less
than 100 g.p.

Alpha's Images of Ikonn (Illusion/Phantasm)

Level: 3                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 3
Duration: 2 rounds/level                Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: 15' radius

      This spell is similar to the 2nd level Mirror Image spell (q.v.).
The caster gains 1 mirror image for each level of experience, rather than
rolling randomly.  These images can appear anywhere within 15' of the
caster, and a blurring distortion effect occurs in the casting of this
spell and at the end of each melee round which prevents isolation of the
true wizard in the new melee round, even if the wizard was successfully
attacked in the previous round.  Area effect attacks (Fireball, etc.) can
still affect the caster even if his location is not known.  As a final
benefit, if one of the images is struck by an opponent, the caster may make
an unmodified save vs. breath weapon.  If successful, the image will not
be dispelled by the blow.  The material component of this spell is a small
carving or doll of the caster and a broken mirror.

Alpha's Lightwall (Evocation)

Level:3                                 Components: V,S,M
Range: 10 yards/level                   Casting Time: 3
Duration: 1 round/level                 Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: 10' x 10' sq./level

      This spell causes a wall of dazzling yellow-white light to come
into being at any point within the range of the caster.  Vision through
the wall by any means is quite impossible, though it is negated by a
darkness (q.v.) spell cast at it.  When the wall first comes into being,
all those within 10 feet of it who are not averting their eyes (thus a
mage could warn his companions that he was about to cast this spell)
must make a save vs. petrification to avert their gaze from the wall in
time to avoid being dazzled by its brightness.  This dazzling results
in a -2 penalty to hit, a 20% spell failure chance for spell casters,
and a -1 penalty on initiative dice rolls.  These effects persist for
as many rounds as the difference between the victim's die roll and the
roll needed for him to save.  These effects can persist even after the
duration of the spell has elapsed.  Naturally, blind or sightless
creatures are unaffected by this spell, but subterranean or dark
dependent creatures (e.g. drow, duergar, svirfneblin) suffer a -3
on their saving throw.  Further, they are not protected by thier normal
magic resistance, as the spell is not cast directly at them.  They are
as vulnerable to its existence as any other creature would be.  The
light given off is equivalent to a continual light (q.v.) spell within
20', and equivalent to a light spell (i.e. normal torchlight) in an
additional 80' radius.  The lightwall, if cast out of doors, can be
seen up to a mile away per level of the caster (reflecting the additional
size of a larger caster's lightwall).  The wall can, of course, be created
smaller than the maximum size for the caster's level.  The wall itself
causes no damage to creatures passing through it.  However, a character
fighting someone with a lightwall directly behind him suffers a -1 on
his or her chances to hit (note that this is cumulative with the
dazzling effects described above).  Similarly to the first level wall
of darkness (q.v.) spell, sound is blocked by the lightwall, assuming
that it does not allow sound waves to travel around the sides of it
(as when cast outdoors, for example).  It does not absorb sound or
prevent spellcasting, it merely does not allow sound to pass through
it (even if such sound is from a Horn of Blasting or a Shout spell).
The material component is a clear gemstone or a sunstone worth not
less than 100 g.p.

Alpha's Lucent Lance (Alteration)

Level: 3                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10 yards                         Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: 1 round                       Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Special

      There must be some ambient light available in order for this spell to
work.  The effectiveness of this spell is determined by the amount of ambient
light available.  The caster must concentrate for a full round to focus the
light into the Lucent Lance, after which its energy may be released.  The power
of the Lance is such that it can carve through wood or soft metal up to 4 inches
thick, stone up to 1 inch thick, or hard metal up to .25 inch thick, this thick-
ness multiplied by the appropriate modifier on the table below.  Items carried
by a living creature are partially protected by that creature's aura, and gain
a save vs. magical fire (modified as below) to avoid being damaged by the Lance.
Living creatures suffer a base of 1d6 damage, modified as below, with a maximum
upper limit of not more than 1d6 per level of the caster.  The Lucent Lance
coalesces as a ball of light around the caster's hand holding the material
component, and shoots forth until maximum range is reached or until a sufficient
thickness of material blocks its progress.  The Lucent Lance may be traversed
over an arc up to 1' per level of the caster at its maximum range.  The caster's
hand glows brightly while the spell is being cast and while it is active.

Type of light                           Damage Modifier     Save Modifier

Candlelight                                   x.5                +3
Single torch or lantern                       x 1                +1
Multiple torches, Light spell, starlight,     x 2                +0
  magical dagger
Large bonfire, bright moonlight, Continual    x 4                -1
  Light spell, magical sword
Multiple magical light sources, indirect      x 6                -2
  or filtered sunlight
Direct sunlight, Sunray spell                 x12                -4

      If the light source used is a fire of some sort, that fire has a 50%
chance of going out.  A permanent light effect (e.g. magical sword or dagger)
will lose its power to shed light for 1d10 rounds.  A spell used as the light
source will be automatically dispelled if it's a 1st-3rd level spell, and
will have its duration cut by 25% if a higher level spell.  The material
component is a small, oblong corundum rod worth at least 100 g.p.

Alpha's Night of the Leonids (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level: 3                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 30 yards + 10 yards/level        Casting Time: 3
Duration: 1 round                       Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Special

     This spell can only be cast outdoors at night.  It calls down a number
of flaming meteorites to strike unerringly any targets within range.  The
caster can call down 1d4 meteorites, plus another for every five levels of
experience (d4+1 at 5th-9th, d4+2 at 10th-14th, etc.).  Each meteorite
strikes a single target, though more than one may strike any given target.
Each of these `leonids' comes blazing down from the heavens, striking for
d6+1 impact damage and an additional d6+1 fire damage.  The material
component for this spell is a bit of meteoric iron.

Alpha's Rolling Thunder (Evocation)

Level: 3                                Components: S
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 1
Duration: Special                       Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: 5'/level radius circle

     The caster need but throw his arms heavenward and a great rolling
thunderclap will sound directly overhead.  All creatures within 10' of
the caster must save vs. petrification or be knocked prone, suffering
d4+1 damage, and are automatically stunned for 1 round and deafened for
d4+1 rounds.  Those within one-half the radius of the spell (e.g. within
25' of a 10th level caster) but not within 10' must save vs. spells or
be stunned for 1 round, and are automatically deafened for d4+1 rounds.
All others in the area of effect must save vs. spells or be deafened for
d4+1 rounds.

Alpha's Silverlight (Evocation)

Level: 3                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 60 yards                         Casting Time: 3
Duration: 2 rounds/level                Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: 30' radius sphere

      This spell is similar to the 2nd level Continual Light spell in that it
creates a very bright light (almost as bright as full daylight).  However, any
creature within the area of light which is vulnerable to silver (e.g. wights,
wraithes, lycanthropes, devils) will suffer 1d6 damage every round that it
remains in the area of effect, and will be at -2 to on to hit rolls and +2 to
be hit due to the intense discomfort felt by such creatures while within the
Silverlight.  Alternatively, the caster may throw the spell directly at a
single target.  Such a creature must save vs. spells or be blinded for the
duration of the spell.  If the save is made, the spell forms as per usual
about one foot behind the intended target, and its duration is halved.  A
creature vulnerable to silver who is thus targeted need not save vs. blinding,
but will instead suffer d6+1 (2-7) points of damage per level of the caster,
up to a maximum of 10d6+10, and will be stunned for 1d4 rounds.  A successful
saving throw vs. spells at -2 will halve the damage and reduce the duration of
the stun to a single round.  If thrown thus at a creature vulnerable to silver,
the spell will not form normally, regardless of the saving throw, as its magic
is used up in the attack on the creature.  The material component is a bit of
pure silver.

Alpha's Starfire (Evocation)

Level: 3                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 30 yards                         Casting Time: 1
Duration: 1 round                       Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: 5' diameter column, 30' high

      This spell creates a column of brilliant, blazing silvery-white flames.
All within 10' of the column not looking away must save vs. petrification or
be blinded for 1 round and dazzled (-2 to hit, +2 to be hit) for an additional
1d3 rounds.  Creatures adversely affected by bright light (e.g drow, duergar)
save at -3 vs. this effect.  Any creature within the narrow column of fire
(most likely only a single creature) is automatically blinded and dazzled as
above, and additionally suffers 1d6 damage per level of the caster, up to
a maximum of 10d6.  A save vs. spells will halve this damage.  If the spell
is cast outdoors under a night sky, a bonus of +1 per die of damage is added.
The material component for this spell is a bit of silver and a shard of crystal.
FOURTH LEVEL SPELLS:

Alpha's Acid Rainstorm (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 240 yards                        Casting Time: 5
Durations: Instantaneous                Saving Throw: 1/2
Area of Effect: 30' x 30' square

      This spell, which functions only out of doors, causes thin streams
of hissing violet acid to fall within its area of effect.  All within
the area must save vs. spells or suffer full damage.  The spell inflicts
1d8/two levels of the caster (rounded up).  All exposed items in the
area must also save vs. acid or be destroyed.
      Characters under heavy cover which is not destroyed by the acid
are fully shielded from the effects of the spell.  The acid, once it
strikes the ground, harmlessly disappears.  The material component for
the spell is a small vial of aqua regia and a strip of zinc.

Alpha's Acid Resistance (Abjuration)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: Touch                            Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: Special                       Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Creature touched

      This spell grants the subject complete immunity to acid, up to a point.
The spell's basic duration is 10 rounds per level of the caster.  However, for
every point of acid damage that would have been suffered by the character
(after saving throws and any other protections have been considered), the
duration of this spell is reduced by one round for every point of acid neutral-
ized by the spell.  This spell also protects the subjects equipment from needing
to make any Item Saving Throws vs. acid for as long as the spell is in effect.
The material component is a small glass vial containing lye and water.

Alpha's Ball Lightning (Evocation)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S
Range: 10 yards + 10 yards/level        Casting Time: 5
Duration: 4 rounds                      Saving Throw: 1/2
Area of Effect: Special

     The caster of this spell can create one to four spheres of glowing
electrical energy.  These spheres resemble Dancing Lights (q.v.), and the
caster can control them in the same way.  The spheres can be moved up to
120'/round.  Each ball is about 5' in diameter, and any creature(s) approaching
within 5' will dissipate that ball's charge.  A save vs. spells results in
half damage, indicating that contact was across an air gap.  Note that more
than one creature approaching within 5' in a single round can be affected
by the ball is that occurs.

The charge values are:   1 lightning ball         4d12
                         2 lightning balls        5d4 each
                         3 lightning balls        2d6 each
                         4 lightning balls        2d4 each

Alpha's Chill of the Void (Evocation/Alteration)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 5
Duration: 1 round                       Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: 20' wide path, 5'/level long

     This spell brings forth a wave of preternatural cold, rolling forth
>from the caster's outstretched arms to the maximum area of effect.  Its
cold vacuum kills all normal vegetation in the area except for trees, which
have a 50%-100% chance to survive (DM's discretion, based on size and native
environment).  This cold inflicts 3d4 damage and the vacuum an additional
3d4 to all living creatures within the area of effect.  Vegetable and fungoid
monsters suffer double damage from this spell.  The material component is
a piece of ice.

Alpha's Elemental Form (Alteration)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: Touch                            Casting Time: 1 turn
Duration: Special                       Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: One creature

      Use of this spell enable the spellcaster to transform the matter of
a creature's body into the stuff of a particular elemental plane.  The
elemental form enables the character to engage in normal combat with an
elemental of the same or opposite form (i.e. water would allow combat vs.
water or fire elementals), or an elemental creature, without needing a
magical weapon to hit.  It also provides protection vs. the same element
as if a ring of warmth (+2 on saves, -1 per die of damage, regenerate 1 hp
of elemental-caused damage per turn).  The subject can also exist without
danger on the appropriate elemental plane, and can move normally there.
It does NOT empower the subject with perceptions not normally possessed
(e.g. seeing through the rock of elemental earth), but it does prevent
elemental damage.  A character possessing a ring of elemental command
who assumes Elemental Form of the same type gains the cumulative effects
of both, and IS empowered with senses on the appropriate plane as if
in normal air.
      If this spell is cast on the prime material, the spell will last
1 turn per level of the caster.  If cast on the appropriate elemental plane,
or in the border Ethereal of that plane, it will last 12 turns/level.  If
cast while on an elemental or para-elemental plane different from the form
assumed, start with the base of 12 turns/level and halve the duration for
each plane removed.  An Elemental Form in opposition to the plane the
caster is on (air vs. earth, fire vs. water) cannot be assumed at all.
      The material component is a small amount of the appropriate element
on hand (a handful of clay or earth or a torch flame will suffice).

Alpha's Firefall (Alteration)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10 yds/level                     Casting Time: 4
Duration: Special                       Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: Special

      This spell is an improved version of the 2nd level Pyrotechnics spell
(q.v.), specifically the "fireworks" application of that spell.  That portion
of the spell functions exactly as the Pyrotechnics spell does with respect
to duration, area of effect, saving throw, and the blinding effect created.
However, the "fireworks" created by this spell are more along the lines of
a geyser of brightly burning liquid fire, arcing upwards approximately 60'
into the air and raining down within a 30' area surrounding the perimeter of
the basic fire source.  All in this area of effect suffer 2d6 fire damage
with no saving throw allowed.  Further, a central prominence of flame is
thrown upwards by this spell, and the caster may direct this column of fire
at a single target within 60' of the fire source.  This plume of fire will
inflict 4d10 damage to the victim, although a saving throw vs. breath weapon
is possible to halve this damage.
      The liquid fire continues to burn during the following round, under the
same conditions as during the first round, although the fire is less intense
and causes only half the damage caused during the first round.  Combustibles
in the area of effect must save vs. normal fire (if struck only by the burning
spray) or magical fire (if the victim of the central plume fails his or her
saving throw or if the central plume is directed at an inanimate object) to
avoid being set afire.  A creature who is within the area of the spray who
is targeted by the central plume will not also suffer fire damage from the
spray, as this minor flame is all but lost in the fury of the central promin-
ence.  The spray does not fall within the area of the original fire source,
but only within 30' of the perimeter of the fire source.  An aerial creature
flying within 60' above the rising geyser of liquid fire is affected just
as a creature on the ground would be, and may also be targeted with the
central plume, if the caster so desires.  The material component for this
spell is a lump of pitch mixed with sulfur, saltpeter, and magnesium, as
well as an existing fire source.

Alpha's Flames of Falroth (Alteration/Evocation)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10 yards                         Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: 1 round/level                 Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: Special

      This spell conjures an extra-dimensional black flame to surround a single
object or creature within range.  This fire has exactly the opposite effect of
normal fire, in that it restores creatures or objects burned to destruction by
fire or acid to their original state.  This will not restore life to a person
slain by a Fireball spell, but it will restore the body to full health, such
that a Raise Dead spell will bring the character back to full physical health
(though an amount of time equal to the time dead must be spent recovering from
the psychological shock).  Similarly, it will not restore enchantment to a once-
destroyed magic item, though a Limited Wish spell is capable of restoring the
lost enchantment to the item reconstructed by the Flames of Falroth.
      In order to restore an item or creature, the target must fail a saving
throw of the same type that resulted in its destruction.  Hence, plate mail
destroyed by the breath of a black dragon must fail a saving throw vs. acid,
and an adventurer felled by a Fireball must fail a save vs. spells.  For
effects against which there is no save (e.g. Wall of Fire), assume the save
to be as against breath weapon for creatures or magical fire for items.  It is
thus more difficult to restore items that were more difficult to destroy in
the first place.  One such save may be attempted each round, and as many saves
as desired may be attempted during the use of this spell.  No object can ever
be affected by this spell after the spell has been used on it once, whether or
not it was successful.  Once the save is failed, the object will take 2 rounds
to be fully reconstructed from its remains.  The Flames of Falroth may be
moved to another object or creature at any time during the spell's duration,
with 1 round of concentration on the part of the caster.
      The Flames of Falroth are very hostile to ordinary fire.  They may be
used as a fire extinguisher or sorts, and will extinguish a 10' cube of normal
flame every round.  Magical fire spells must be checked as per Dispel Magic,
but multiplying the caster's level by 2 for the purposes of determining
whether the target spell has resisted the effects of the Flames of Falroth.
If this Dispelling attempt is unsuccessful, the Flames of Falroth will vanish
back from whence they came.
      If cast at an elemental fire creature of any sort, the Flames of Falroth
will automatically cause 6d6 damage to that creature.  After this initial
attack, the target creature may make a save vs. spell at -3.  If successful,
the Flames disappear without causing further harm.  If failed, however, the
Flames continue to attack the creature's very substance, causing 3d6 damage
every round.  A new saving throw is allowed each round, the chance to save
improving by 1 each round (-2 after the second round, then -1, etc.).  This
continues until the creature is dead, the caster moves the flames away (after
which time that creature will no longer be affected by the Flames of Falroth),
or until the spell expires or a save is made--in both of these cases, the Flames
disappear.
      A fire-using or dwelling creature that uses fire but is not native to
the Elemental Plane of Fire (e.g. fire giant, red dragon, chimera) will not
be harmed by the Flames of Falroth, but any external fire powers (fire breath,
spells, immolation, etc.) will cause only half normal damage, as their effect-
iveness is mitigated by the Flames.  The material component is a bit of green
wood, a handful of ashes, a smoky quartz crystal, and a piece of obsidian.

Alpha's Hunting Pack (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 30 yards                         Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: 5 rounds/level                Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Special

      This spell summons into the caster's vicinity a pack of canines who
will fight on behalf of the caster, if such is required.  The composition
of the pack will be as follows:

      01-10   4-16 jackals              61-90   2-8 wolves
      11-60   3-12 wild dogs            91-00   1-4 dire wolves

      The pack will follow commands to the best of its ability, so long
as they are relatively simple (attack, return, heel, etc.).  If attacked
by the caster or his fellows, all creatures summoned will instantly
disappear.  The hounds can track as well as a 5th level ranger, and
can be commanded to perform this activity if it is requested of them
(such as by allowing them to smell an article of clothing from the
creature to be tracked, etc.).  The hounds will arrive 1-10 rounds after
the spell is cast.  The material components are a piece of fresh, uncooked
meat and a finely crafted silver or ivory hunting horn, worth not less
than 100 g.p., which must be sounded during the casting of the spell.

Alpha's Rainbow Blast (Evocation)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10' + 5'/level                   Casting Time: 4
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: Neg.
Area of Effect: 1' wide beam

      This spell is very much like the second level Rainbow Beam spell,
but is much more powerful.  Besides a slightly larger area of effect, and
the fact that a solid object will not stop the beam unless larger than 2'
wide AND formed of solid stone or some such similar dense material, i.e.
the beam is not stopped by mere flesh, even if armored, but would be stopped
by a stone wall.
      The spell does 2-7 (1d6+1) points of damage per level of the caster.
The swirling, coruscating tendrils of multi-hued light also have properties
as listed under the Rainbow Beam spell.  A target resistant to one or more
of these forms of attack takes -1 point of damage per die per attack that
it is resistant to.  The obverse applies for creatures that are particularly
vulnerable to a certain form of attack (e.g. a frost giant is immune to cold,
but is not particularly vulnerable to fire, so it would take -1 point of
damage per die.  A green slime, vulnerable only to fire and cold, would
take -5 points of damage per die.)  The indigo (holy water) beam does normal
damage except to creatures affected by unholy water (paladins, lammasu, etc.,
who are considered as being resistant), and those affected by holy water
(undead, demons, etc., who are considered as specifically vulnerable).
      The victim is entitled to a saving throw, which, if successful,
indicates that the beam has missed.  It may hit another target, though.
Also, if a target is struck by the beam, he or she must save vs. petrification
or be struck in the face and blinded for 3-6 rounds.
      The material component for this spell is a small diamond worth not less
than 100 g.p.

Alpha's Ray of Paralysis (Alteration)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10' + 5'/level                   Casting Time: 1
Duration: 2 rounds/level                Saving Throw: Neg.
Area of Effect: One creature

     The caster extends his arm, points his finger, and speaks a word to
cast the spell.  A thin, light blue ray leaps from the caster's finger.
The intended target must save vs. petrification.  If the save is failed,
then the creature is struck by the beam and, unless the creature possesses
some innate magic resistance, is paralyzed for 2 rounds per level of the
caster.  If the save is made, the pencil-thin ray has missed its original
target and continues on in a straight line to the extent of its range.  Any
creature in the path of the beam must make the same saving throw or be
struck and paralyzed.  If the ray actually strikes, there is no save vs.
its effects.  Size L creatures must save at -1, size H at -2, and size
G at -4.  Conversely, size S creatures save at +1 and size T at +3.  The
ray can affect only target in any event.  The material component is a
clear gem or a piece of amber worth at least 100 g.p.

Alpha's Shadowfire (Evocation/Necromancy)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 4
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: 1/2
Area of Effect: 1' diameter ray, 5'/level long

     This spell calls forth a seething black ray shot through with veins of
green fire.  All creatures in the path of the spell will suffer d4 damage
per level of the caster, up to a maximum of 20d4.  A successful save vs.
breath weapon will result in only half damage.  A creature that is immune
to fire or to energy drain will suffer only one-half damage (one-quarter
if a successful save is made).  If the damage rolled exceeds a target's
remaining hit points, that target is disintegrated.  The material component
is a black opal worth at least 500 g.p.

Alpha's Sheet Lightning (Evocation)

Level: 4                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 30 yds                           Casting Time: 4
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: 10' square area per level

      This spell creates a very bright flashing jolt of sheet lightning within
the area of effect.  All those in the area receive 4d4 electrical damage with
no saving throw.  In addition, those within must save vs. petrification to
avoid being blinded for 1d3 rounds and must save vs. breath weapon to avoid
being stunned for 1d3 rounds.  Those carrying large, mostly metallic weapons
(e.g. swords, battle axes) or wearing partial metal armor (studded-chain)
save at -2 vs. the stunning and suffer +1 per die of damage.  Those in full
metal armor (splint or better) save at -4 vs. the stunning and suffer double
damage.  The material component is a bit of fur and a sheet of fine crystal
worth at least 50 g.p.
FIFTH LEVEL SPELLS:

Alpha's Aurora Borealis (Evocation)

Level: 5                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 3
Duration: Special                       Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: 1'/level radius ring

      This spell causes a sheet of dancing, shifting light to spring up
around the caster, encompassing any area up to the maximum indicated by
the caster's level.  The Aurora will last as long as the caster concentrates
on it (concentration can be maintained while moving at half-speed, but the
caster cannot fight or cast other spells, though speech is allowed), and
for an additional 1 round per level after he or she ceases concentration.
      Any intelligent creature which views the shifting, dancing patterns
of light must save vs. spells or stand fascinated, watching the interplay
of colors and lights (cf. Hypnotic Pattern).  A maximum of 2 HD/levels of
creatures per level of the caster can be so affected.
      Any creature actually touching the Aurora will suffer 2-12 points of
damage, +1 point per level of the caster.  Fungoid monsters, undead, and
creatures native to the plane of shadow suffer 2-12 points of damage, +2
points per level, from the effects of this spell.
      The material component of this spell is a clear gemstone or crystal
prism worth not less than 100 g.p., a glowworm, and a pinch of phosphorus.

Alpha's Balefire (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level: 5                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 5
Duration: Special                       Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: 5' x 30' x 15' cone

     This spell draws upon a nearly colorless arcane effluvium from the Plane
of Shadow.  This mystical stuff burns very hot and is extremely viscous, but
rapidly dissolves in the thick substance of the Prime Material Plane.  Those
in the area of effect may attempt a save vs. breath weapon to avoid being
covered in the stuff.  If this save is successful, they are merely splashed
with it.  Even this small amount, however, is sufficient to cause half damage
for the initial round, but it burns out in that single round.  Those that fail
to save and are struck fully by this ghastly stuff suffer d6 fire damage per
two levels of the caster (rounded up), up to a maximum of 12d6.  The Balefire
clings to these poor victims and continues to inflict damage.  The damage is
reduced by 2d6 each round, and the it burns until all damage potential is
exhausted.  This shadow-stuff burns with a colorless fire that can only be
extinguished by magical means (e.g. Wand of Flame Extinguishing, Fire Quench,
Dispel Magic, or a magical cold spell such as Ice Storm, Cone of Cold, Wall of
Ice, or Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, although spells involving ice may also
cause impact damage to the would-be rescuee); even total immersion in water
will have no effect on it.  This flame is so hostile to natural (i.e. Prime
Material) matter that it will burn through one inch of wood or soft metal,
one quarter inch of hard metal, or one eighth inch of stone per die of damage
that it would inflict to living targets each round it is active.  Any
individual who is struck fully (i.e. fails to save) must make item saving
throws vs. magical fire for all exposed equipment in each round that the
Balefire clings to him, though these saves are at +1 cumulative for each
round after the first.  Occasional dark green or red flickerings can be
observed in an active Balefire.  The material component is a standard opal
(not a black or fire opal) worth at least 500 g.p. and a bit of pitch.

Alpha's Blue Blaze (Evocation/Conjuration)

Level: 5                                Components: V,S
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 5
Duration: Instantaneous                 Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: Fan-shaped area 50' long,
                  20' at terminus

      By utterance and extending either arm, the caster causes a fan-like
sheet of heated, purplish, acidic vapors and blue flames to leap forth
>from his or her outstretched hand.  Any creature in the area of effect
must save twice (once vs. the fire, once vs. the acid) or suffer 1d6/2
levels of the caster (rounding up) from each effect.
      All exposed items must save vs. acid, regardless of the result of
the save.  Item saves vs. magical fire are only necessary if the a victim
fails his save vs. that effect.

Alpha's Incantation of Elemental Domination (Abjuration/Enchantment)

Level: 5                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 1 turn
Duration: 3 turns/level                 Save: None
Area of Effect: Caster only

     In the casting of this spell, the wizard must choose one element to
have dominance over.  Elementals of this plane cannot approach within 5'
of the caster or attack the caster in any way.  The caster can forego this
protection if desired, and attempt to charm the elemental (cf. Charm Monster),
applying a -2 penalty to the save.  If this is attempted, than this total
ward against elementals is lost.
     In any event, any elemental creature (water weird, xorn, etc.) is at
-1 to hit and -1 per die of damage when attacking the caster.  The caster
makes all saves vs. thier attacks at +2.  The casters own attacks are at
+4 to hit (or -4 to the target's save) and +6 to damage.  He can further
affect any elemental creature with any weapon, regardless of its level of
enchantment.
     The caster may converse with creatures of the chosen element, and they
will respect him if alignments are similar, or fear (if the caster appears
strong) or hate and desire to slay (if the caster appears weak) if alignments
are dissimilar.
     The spell's association with one element results in a saving throw
penalty to the caster while the spell is in effect, depending on which element
is chosen.  Air = -2 vs. fire; Earth = -2 vs. petrification; Fire = -2 vs.
water or cold; Water = -2 vs. electricity.
      The material component is a substantial amount (at least 1 cu' foot)
of the element in opposition to the element the caster desires to dominate.

Alpha's Lightningarmor (Abjuration/Evocation)

Level: 5                                Comp: V,S,M
Range: Touch                            Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: 3 rounds/level                Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Creature touched

      Ths subject of this spell cannot be wearing metal armor of any sort, nor
carrying a metallic weapon larger than a shortsword.  Bracers are permissible.
The creature touched is completely protected from electrical damage of any sort
so long as the spell is in effect.  This protection is not absolute, having a
maximum absorption of 10 points of electrical damage per level of the caster.
Damage is absorbed by the Lightningarmor after saving throws and any other
protections have been taken into account.  The creature under the effects of
this spell carry a negative electrical charge, and skin-to-skin contact with
another creature will cause 1d4 electrical damage with no saving throw, as will
contact through a conductor.  Anyone striking the protected creature with a con-
ductive object must save vs. paralyzation at +1 or drop the object due to temp-
orary numbness in the member holding the weapon.  Those within 5' of of a char-
acter with this spell in effect may catch a faint scent of ozone and feel their
hair standing a bit on end.  The material component of this spell is a bit of
copper wire and glass thread wrapped in clay.

Alpha's Moons of Munnopoor (Evocation/Invocation/Alteration)

Level: 5                                Comp: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 2 rounds
Duration: Special                       Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Special

      By the use of this spell, the caster calls upon the magical influences
of the other-dimensional Moons of Munnopoor.  The caster can call upon the
power of one, two, or all three of the Moons.  This spell always creates an
area of light equal to the Moonlight spell, centered on the caster and moving
with him or her.  However, the area of effect is only 50% that of the normal
Moonlight spell if one moon's power is invoked, 100% normal is two moons are
called upon, and 150% normal if all three moons are utilized.  This Moonlight
has all of the effects of actual moonlight under a full moon, including effects
on lycanthropes.  The duration of this spell is also determined by the number of
Moons called upon:  if one Moon, the duration is 2 rounds per level of the cas-
ter; if two, it's 1 round per level; and, if all three, it's 1 round per 2
levels of the caster.  Besides the light produced by the images of the appropri-
ate Moons appearing above the caster, each Moon provides a specific magic-
enhancing effect as follows:

      Blue Moon:  All water-related (including fog-, ice-, and steam-related)
      spells used by the caster gain a bonus of +1/die of damage (though not
      exceeding the normal maximum--e.g. an Ice Storm spell would inflict 3d10+3
      damage, up to a maximum of 30) if the spell causes physical damage, in-
      cluding the damage caused by summoned water elemental creatures; applies
      a penalty of -4 to saving throws and -20% to magic resistance to targets
      of spells which cause no hit point damage but do affect an unwilling tar-
      get in some way; or increases the duration of other spells of this genre
      which do not fall into the above categories (e.g. Water Breathing, Wall
      of Fog), doubling duration if a 1st-3rd level spell, increasing by 50%
      if the spell is 4th-6th level.

      Bright Moon: All spells relating to stars, moons, and other astronomical
      phenomena are affected in the same way that water-related spells are
      affected by the Blue Moon.

      Silvery Moon:  All mind-controlling and influencing spells used by the
      caster apply a -4 penalty to saves and a -20% penalty to magic resistance
      checks by targets of such spells.

      The material components for this spell are a white pearl or sapphire to
invoke the Blue Moon, a diamond for the Bright Moon, and a silver pearl or
moonstone for the Silvery Moon.  Whatever the combination of moons invoked,
the spell also requires a piece of black velvet along with a crushed pearl
and a crushed moonstone, and a pinch of diamond dust.

Alpha's Saint Elmos' Fire (Evocation)

Level: 5                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 5 yards/level                    Casting Time: 5
Duration: 1 round/2 levels              Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: Special

      This spell ionizes the air around the target of the spell, surrounding him
or her with a blue-white, glowing nimbus of electrically charged air in a 5'
radius.  The target of the spell may save vs. breath weapon at -2 to avoid the
spell.  This save is at an additional -2 if the target is carrying large, mostly
metallic weapons (e.g. swords, battle axes) or wearing partial metal armor (e.g.
studded, ring), and at -4 if wearing full metal armor (scale or heavier).  If
successful, the target will suffer only 3d6 electrical damage as he or she dod-
ges out of the area of effect, and the spell will then dissipate that round
without a focus to coalesce about.  If the save is failed, the victim will suf-
fer 5d6 damage every round until a save vs. breath weapon (with modifiers as
for the initial save, but with a +1 cumulative per round bonus) is successful,
at which point the spell will dissipate.  Any creature entering the 5' radius
nimbus suffers 1d6 electrical damage with no save.  Any creature that touches
or is touched by the victim of the spell will suffer 3d6 damage with no save if
the contact was skin-to-skin, or 2d6 if it was through a conductor.  If the
target is in water, the electricity will inflict 3d6 damage with any contact,
2d6 within 5', and 1d6 within 15'.  The target of this spell may, if desired,
intentionally try to use the nimbus of electricity and the personal electrical
charge as a weapon.  The caster may end this spell at any point, if desired.
The material components are phosphorus, a bit of fur, amber, and a bit of cold
iron.

Alpha's Shooting Stars (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level: 5                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 5'/level                         Casting Time: 5
Duration: Instantaneous                 Save: Special
Area of Effect: Special

     This spell creates glowing missiles with flaming trails, one for each
six levels of the caster (dropping all fractions).  The victim of the spell
receives no saving throw, and suffers 4d6 damage from the impact and 8d6
>from the fiery blast that accompanies the impact.  All within 5 feet of the
impact point are also in the blast radius, but they may save for half
damage.  The original intended target may attempt to save vs. petrification
to avoid being struck, this save at -4 if within 20' and at -2 if within
40'.  If this save fails, he suffers as above.  If he succeeds, however,
the shooting star(s) directed at him continue on in a straight line to the
extent of their range, at which point they explode in a fiery burst as
above.  Anyone else in the path of the shooting star(s) must save as for
the original intended target, or become the victim of the spell.  If the
caster has more than one missile, he may direct them at one or several
targets as desired.  Anyone within 5' of the path of the missile will suffer
2d6 (save for half) fire damage simply from the heat of the passage of the
shooting star.  The material component is a bit of meteoric iron and a piece
of igneous rock.

Alpha's Spectral Hound (Conjuration/Phantasm)

Level: 5                                Components: V,S,M
Range: Special                          Casting Time: 1 turn
Duration: 6 turns/level                 Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Special

      This spell brings into being a quasi-real beast appearing as a war dog
with black fur, gray ruff and tail, milky gray eyes, and insubstantial paws
which make no sound.  The creature will have average (8-10) intelligence and
can converse with the caster in the common tongue.  The creature can fight,
attacking as a 2+2 HD monster and inflicting 2-8 points of damage per hit.
It can, however, affect creatures struck only by magical weapons.  The
beast itself is AC 0, and can take up to half the caster's full hit points
(rounding up) before being dispelled.
      The Hound can track any creature known to the caster, provided the
caster concentrates on a mental picture of the figure for 2 full rounds.
The Hound can follow the trail of such a creature with 100% certainty, -5%
per hour the trail is old.  The Hound also has infravision to 90', can
spot hidden (such as in shadows) things 80% of the time, invisible objects
65% of the time, and astral, ethereal, or out-of-phase things 50% of the
time.  The Hound normally moves at 12", though it can run at 24" for 3
rounds each hour.  Further, the Hound may cross muddy or swampy ground,
or even water, as if were solid, dry ground.  The Hound leaves no tracks.
      By concentrating for 1 full round, the caster can make use of the
Hound's sensory abilities for as long as desired, though this does not
allow communication beyond normal vocal range.
      The Hound is unaffected by any spells which alter its form (flesh
to stone, polymorph, etc.) or restrict or affect its movement (haste, slow,
hold, etc.).  If a mind control spell is cast upon the creature and it
fails its save (saving throws of the Hound are as for the caster), then
it wills itself out of existence.  It is further immune to poison and
death magics.  The hound will speak only to the caster, and, if the caster
is killed, feebleminded, charmed, or otherwise mentally incapacitated,
then the hound will immediately cease to exist.
      The material components of this spell are three canine statuettes;
one of ivory or alabaster, one of silver or platinum, and one of jet, onyx,
obsidian, or ebony.  These statuettes must be worth at least 200 g.p.
each, and, in the course of the spell, the three merge to become the
Spectral Hound.  When the spell ends, the Hound simply fades slowly out of
existence.

Alpha's Star-Powered Magery (Invocation)

Level: 5                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: Special
Duration: Permanent                     Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Self only

     This spell can only be cast outdoors under a night sky where stars are
visible.  The spell requires 2 turns to cast for each level of spells the
caster is able to cast (e.g. a 12th level wizard can cast 6 levels of spells,
and so would require 12 turns).  Upon completion of the spell, the caster's
mind and body are refreshed and restored as though the caster had rested a
full day.  1-3 hit points, plus the caster's CON bonus, if any, are restored
if the caster is at less than full health.  The power of the spell also allows
the caster to memorize spells in one-half the usual time, save for first level
spells, which may be memorized in a single round.  During the lengthy casting
of this spell, the wizard is suffused with a pale white glow, and is fully
aware of things going on nearby.  If the spell is interrupted, either by being
struck by an attack or voluntarily by the caster, then the effect is wasted
and the caster must sleep for spells as usual.  The material component is
a diamond worth at least 1,000 g.p.

Alpha's Starshield (Alteration/Abjuration)

Level: 5                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 0                                Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: 4 rounds + 1 round/level      Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Caster only

      When this spell is cast, the wizard's body is sheathed in a nearly skin-
tight magical screen.  This screen has the appearance of a black night sky
filled with stars.  Whenever a light-related spell of any sort is cast at the
creature using the Starshield, the spell will be harmlessly absorbed and re-
directed back at the caster of the spell.  This includes such spells as Light
(if cast so as to blind), Color Spray, Sunray, and Prismatic Spray.  An area-
effect spell where the caster is the sole target will automatically be reflected
in this way.  Area-effect light spells in which others are also targeted have a
chance of being intercepted and redirected by the caster as above equal to the
caster's chance to negate the spell with a Dispel Magic spell.  The protected
wizard will be unaffected by the spell in any event and, if the spell is suc-
cessfully absorbed, those behind the caster who would have been in the area of
effect are spared the effects of the spell.  By making a successful check as if
to Dispel Magic, the caster may attempt to pass through a Prismatic Sphere or
a Prismatic Wall.  Darkness spells (e.g. Darkness 15' radius, Nystul's Black-
mote, priest's Continual Darkness) will also be reflected, just as light spells
are, and the caster may attempt a saving throw vs. death magic each round to
attempt to see through any area of magical darkness within normal vision range.
If outdoors under the night sky, the caster can see as if in broad daylight,
even through magical areas of darkness, and also absorbs stellar radiation,
regenerating 1 hit point per round that the spell is in effect.  The material
component for this spell is a black sapphire and a star sapphire, both of which
must be worth not less than 1000 g.p.

Alpha's Wizard Light (Evocation/Alteration)

Level: 5                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10 yards/level                   Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: 1 turn/level                  Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: 30' radius sphere

     This spell creates a pearly-white globe of light equivalent to Continual
Light (q.v.).  Within the area of effect, all shadow and darkness (even of
magical origin) is dispelled, and all hidden or invisible creatures or
objects are outlined in a pale blue radiance which lasts as long as the
Wizard Light itself, even if the object or creature so limned moves out of
the area of effect.  Further, all glyphs of warding, symbols, and other
magical writings and wards are revealed, glowing a luminous blue, and the
area of effect of such wards is similarly outlined.  This spell does not
reveal astral, ethereal, or out-of-phase creatures, nor does it reveal purely
mechanical traps and secret doors, although traps or secret doors disguised
by or utilizing magic will be revealed.  A mage using the Duo-Dimesion (q.v.)
spell would appear as a thin line of blue radiance in mid-air.  This spell
does not reveal what an illusion is hiding nor the appearance of an invis-
ible creature (except for its outline), but merely reveals reveals its
presence and location.  Hence, a Cloak of Displacement is useless within
the Wizard Light.  The light does not "set off" magical guards, but it
does reveal the form of glyphs and such things for possible identification
and deactivation.  The material component for this spell is a diamond worth
at least 500 g.p.
SIXTH LEVEL SPELLS:  (To be researched upon attaining 12th level)

Alpha's Firefountain (Alteration)

Level: 6                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 10 yards/level                   Casting Time: 6
Duration: Special                       Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: Special

      This spell is similar to the 4th level Alpha's Firefall spell, but is
more powerful in two ways.  First, the spray of liquid fire burns for a total
of three rounds, inflicting 3d6 damage the first round, 2d6 the second, and
1d6 the third.  There is no saving throw vs. the damage inflicted by the spray.
Second, the caster is able to throw up one prominence of flame (for 4d10 fire
damage the first round, and 2d10 the second, with a save vs. breath weapon to
halve damage) for every six levels of the caster (rounding off all fractions).
The material component is a lump of pitch, sulfur, saltpeter, and magnesium
and an available fire source.

Alpha's Rainbow Warrior (Evocation/Summoning)

Level: 6                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 5 yards/level                    Casting Time: 1 round
Duration: 1 round/level                 Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Special

      This spell invokes energy and the spirit of a creature from the Quasi-
Elemental Plane of Radiance.  The Rainbow Warrior has as many hit points as the
caster would at full health, and attacks as a fighter of half the caster's
level.  The Warrior has an Armor Class of 0, and can only be struck by magical
weapons.  It attacks with a spear of radiance, which causes damage the same
way as the 2nd level Rainbow Beam spell if the target is struck.  As with that
spell, the caster has a 5% per level chance of selecting the color of the spear,
otherwise it is random.  The Rainbow Warrior may fly at a movement rate of 24,
but it has no real substance and cannot touch nor carry any material object.
Creatures dwelling on or drawing power from the Negative Material Plane or
Plane of Shadow suffer 1d6 damage every round that they are within 20' of
the Rainbow Warrior, as it sheds a bright globe of light strongly infused with
energy from the Positive Material Plane.  The Rainbow Warrior is unaffected by
poison, paralysis, petrification, fire, electricity, gas, or acid.  Unholy water
causes it 2d4 damage, and cold attacks do full normal damage.  Negative energy
attacks gain a bonus of +1/die of damage, and any spells involving darkness
cause the Rainbow Warrior 2d6 damage per level of the spell, though the darkness
spell will then be dispelled.  Any darkness spell coming into contact with
the 20' globe of light surrounding the Rainbow Warrior must be checked as if
Dispel Magic was being cast at the level of the summoner of the Warrior.  Only
one such dispelling attempt is possible for each darkness spell that could be
affected, although the Warrior can automatically dispel any darkness spell by
touching the area of effect, but it will suffer damage as if the spell had been
cast specifically at him.  Dark-dwelling creatures (e.g. drow, duergar) are
affected by the Rainbow Warrior's globe of light as they would be by Continual
Light.  The material component of this spell is a clear diamond worth not less
than 5000 g.p.

Alpha's Starlight Citadel (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level: 6                                Components: V,S,M
Range: 30 yards                         Casting Time: 1 turn
Duration: Special                       Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Special

      This spell can only be cast in an area under star- or moonlight.  When
cast, it brings into being a deep blue-black tower of magical metal, with many
faint silvery gleams.  This tower is in all respects similar to a Daern's
Instant Fortress (q.v.) except that it grows slowly during the course of the
casting, and so no creature able to move could possibly be harmed by its expan-
sion.  The door to the Citadel is Wizard Locked at the caster's level.  One
creature for each level of experience of the caster may be designated in the
casting of the spell, and such creatures may freely open the door, though the
caster may override this at any time by mental command.  The magic of the
walls of the citadel prevents the passage of any creature ethereal, astral,
or out-of-phase creature.  Teleportation into and out of the tower is still
possible.  This spell lasts until the first rays of direct sunlight strike
the tower, but it cannot last longer than 2 hours + 1 hour per level of the
caster in any event.  The material component is a star sapphire and a small
steel carving of a tower.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To those who trudged through the entire ridiculous thing, my congratulations
and thanks.  Some of these spells may be over-powered.  I dunno.  I've never
had any other DM look them over with sharp criticism or anything.  I attempted
to keep these spells comparable to other spells of the same level.  Ice Bolt,
for example, causes a set amount of damage, and has a smaller area of effect
than Fireball or Lightning Bolt, but also causes collateral damage (stunning,
etc.) to a single target.  Similarly, Heat Lightning affects only a single
target, but has collateral effects (DMs will have to decide for themselves
exactly how severe you want to have the effects of the metal-fusing be).

Hopefully some of these will filter into use, if you find them useful.  I
hadn't originally attached Alpha's ... to all of the spells.  My fiancee
(now wife) told me that I should, after she had seen the Greyhawk Adventures
book and all of the silly Drawmij's and Otto's and (et al.) spells.

Once again, have at them, and have fun.

Jason Nelson
[email-masked]