Subject: Spells for the spellbooks
From: [email-masked] (Todd O. Howard)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1993 11:56:50 -0500 (EST)

I saw your post and thought I'd email these...

4th Level Priest

Holy/Unholy Orb (Invocation)
Sphere:  Combat
Range:  10 yards/level
Components: V, S, M
Duration:  Instantaneous
Casting Time:  5
Area of Effect:  15 foot radius sphere
Saving Throw:  1/2 + Special

The Orb is a spell normally granted to a priest who
expects to encounter enemies whose alignment (with respect to good/evil)
opposes their own.  When cast, the spell streaks form the casters hand
to the desired point of effect, where a sphere forms.  The sphere drains
the essence of life from the targets in the area of effect.  Unintellegent
undead are immune to this effect (as they are animated, not "unliving").
The sphere does damage based on the alignment of the caster with respect
to the targets.  If the aligment is opposed to the caster (Good/Evil or
Evil/Good) the damage is 6d6 plus 2 points per caster level, and saving
throws are made at -2.  If the alignment is one removed from the caster
(Good/Neutral, Evil/Neutral, Neutral/Good, Neutral/Evil) the damage
is 6d6, with saving throws made normally.  If the alignment is the same
as the casters the damage is 6d6 minus 2 points per caster level, with the
save being made at +2.  Note that more experienced casters may cast this
spell into a melee without harming friendly forces.  The material component
for this spell is a small glass sphere of the appropriate color:
clear (Good caster), dusty grey (Neutral caster), or black (Evil caster).

5th level Mage

Conjure Fire Ball (Conjuration)
Range:  10 yards/level
Components:  V, S, M
Duration:  Instantaneous
Casting Time:  7
Area of Effect:  20 foot radius sphere
Saving Throw:  1/2

In effect this spell is very similar to the third level spell, Fireball.
However, this spell produces the flames by opening a direct channel to
the plane of Fire, allowing the flames from that plane to intrude upon
the plane that the caster is on and restricting them to a spherical
area.  The damage done by this spell is 1d6 per caster level, up to 10d6.
For each caster level above tenth, two points of damage are added. The
conjured nature of this fire negates any magic resistance for creatures
within the area of effect, since the flames are non magical.
For those on the edge of the effect, magic resistance applies as normal
(it is assumed that a successful magic resistance check negates the
spell near the target, but not the entire spell).  The material
component for this spell is a bit of volcanic rock.

-Todd