Subject: New Spell
From: [email-masked] (S.W. Marshall)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 00:25:29 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

Hi there.  This is an illusion spell that I created for a campaign that I 
am currently playing in.  If anyone out there has any other new spells 
(especially illusion or necromancy spells), please send them along.

Flicker (illusion/phantasm)
Level: 1			Casting time: 1
Range: 60 yrds + 10 yrds/lvl	Area of Effect: up to 30 foot cube
Components: V, M		Saving Throw: Special
Duration: Instantaneous

Description:
	When this spell is cast, the target creature or object undergoes 
a momentary flickering or blurring.  This flickering is not automatically 
noticed by observers and all creatures viewing the target must make a 
saving throw versus spells.  Those who make the save fail to notice the 
flicker and are unaffected by the spell.  Those who fail, however, must 
immediately make an illusion disbelief roll with a +4 modifier.
	Those passing this second save will believe that the target is
probably illusionary and will react accordingly.  For example, those 
seeing a rolling boulder flicker might not move out of the way, suffering 
full damage, or may ignore the "illusory" thief circling them for a 
backstab.  While the flicker itself lasts for but a moment, the belief 
that the target is an illusion will persist until it behaves in a way 
that is evidentally non-illusory, such as supporting weight or causing 
damage.  This instantly reveals the true nature of the target, but any 
damage done in this manner cannot be saved against.
	The target of the flicker must be a creature or object which 
could be contained within a 30' cube.  Thus a castle or a great wyrm 
dragon could not be flickered while a small tower or an ogre could be 
affected.  Any one target, up to the area of effect restrictions, 
including (but not limmited to) bonfires, pits, monsters, and walls can 
be affected.  The spell cannot be used to affect purely magical effects 
such as a wall of force or spells with an instantaneous duration, such as 
fireball.  It does work on real objects or creatures summoned or created 
by magic, however.
	Individuals that know, or suspect, that an illusionist is 
present, or have recently encountered illusion magic, suffer a -2 penalty 
to their initial saving throw versus the flicker.
	The material component for this spell is a small lump of candle wax.

May this spell lead you on the Way of Truth. ;-)

"Deveer"

From: [email-masked] (S.W. Marshall)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 1994 21:24:32 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: New Spell

Voice Mimicry (illusion/phantasm)
Level: 2			Casting Time: 2
Range: 0			Area of Effect:  The caster
Components: V			Saving throw:  special
Duration:  3 rounds/level + 1d6 rounds

Description:
	By means of this spell, the caster is able to mimic the voices 
and sounds of others.  This automatically allows him to duplicate any 
accent he has heard.  Thus, an orcish accent or one from a far off 
country could be mimicked convincingly.  Animal sounds can also be 
mimicked, though druids and rangers may save versus spells to uncover the 
ruse.  The volume of the mimicked voice can range anywhere from a whisper 
to a shout.
	The spell can also be used to mimic a specific individuals voice, 
though this allows those hearing the voice a saving throuw versus spells, 
modified by the following table.  These modifiers are cumulative.

Caster has:	heard voice once		+4
		heard voice occasionally	+2
		heard voice often		+0
		studied desired voice		-2
		approximate physical appearance
			of mimicked person	-2
		exact physical appearance of
			mimicked person		-4
		appears radically different
			from target		+6

Vicitm has:	heard voice once		-2
		heard voice occasionally	+0
		heard voice often		+2

The caster can attempt to mimic one voice or animal for every two levels 
he possesses per casting of the spell.  Once voice mimicry has been cast, 
concentration is not required to maintain it and the caster may switch 
between available voices (including his own) as he wills.
	The caster cannot duplicate sounds he himself has not heard.
The affects of the ventriloquism spell can also be created by the spell 
so that the mimicked voice can be made to come from another source.  
Using the spell in this manner reduces the number of available voices to 
one half (ie one per four levels).

This spell is particularily effective if the caster is disguised to look 
like the person he is mimicking.  It can very effective for causing 
political problems... ;)