Subject: New Spells
From: [email-masked] (Brian A Weibel)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1993 16:37:00 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd

These are some new mage spells that came up in the first year
of our campaign.  Most of the characters are only 5-7 level, so
these are all low level spells.  Any comments, please mail me,
especially on the level of each spell.  My players often thought
that I was being to hard on them by lowering damage or duration.
Feel free to use them, but copyrights belong to Brian A. Weibel.

	Boudewijn, let me know if you need these mailed to you for
the net.spellbook.

Quiz's Interposing Shield (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level:  2
Range:  Caster Only
Components:  V,S,M
Duration:  Special
Casting Time:  3 rounds
Area of Effect:  Caster Only
Saving Throw:  None

	This spell can only be used in conjunction with an Armor spell;
the Armor spell is cast first and is immediately followed by
casting this spell.
	Quiz's Shield performs in much the same way as the Armor spell.
It is an invisible barrier the size of a medium shield.  The
barrier acts as a medium shield and lowers the casters AC by 1 in
regards to attacks that it can impose itself upon.  The caster does
not need to concentrate in order to use the Shield.
	The Shield adds one "hit point" to the amount of damage that
the Armor can take before being dispelled.  When the Armor has been
dispelled, the Shield vanishes also.
	The material component for the spell is a medium sized metal
shield.  It is consumed in the casting.
	This magic was developed by Quiz, practitioner of the art of
illusion.  "Rumor has it that I often found myself too encumbered
in combat to use anything other than party members for my shields.
This did not fare well with certain people, so I created this
spell."

Quiz's Speedy Sprint (Alteration)

Level:  2
Range:  Caster only
Components:  V,S,M
Duration:  Special
Casting Time:  1 turn
Area of Effect:  Caster only
Saving Throw:  None

	This spell allows a caster to store a burst of energy in a
crystal worth 50 gp, the material component of this spell.  This
crystal is consumed only upon use of the spell.  The caster must
keep it with him until the spell is activated.
	When activated, the caster can increase his movement rate by
6" for up to 1 round per level.  This spell must be used upon
starting movement or while moving.  Premature destruction of the
crystal results in an uncontrollable burst of speed.  The caster
must make a DEX check at -4 to avoid tripping.  Those who trip
are assumed to have moved a random distance (DM's discretion) and
then fallen.  They are then stunned for the rest of the round.
	Note that any caster can only have one crystal at any given
time.
	This spell was created by Quiz, practicioner of the art of
illusion.  "Being a short-legged gnome, I found it quite
necessary to find a method to overcome my reduced running
speed.  One who runs today fights another day!"

Valdor's Vindicating Ladder (Evocation)

Level:  2
Range:  60 yards + 10 yards/level
Components:  V,S,M
Duration:  Instantaneous
Casting Time:  2
Area of Effect:  1 creature
Saving Throw:  Special

	This spell is used by a wizard who truly appreciates the many
uses of one of man's greatest creations, the ladder. In this spell,
a ladder of pure energy is emitted from the caster's fingertips.
The ladder consists of as many rungs as the caster has levels. When
the ladder hits the target, the rungs progressively burst on the
target for 1d4 points of damage per rung, to a maximum of 10d4.  A
successful saving throw indicates the target has managed to dodge
some part of the ladder, and damage is reduced to 1 point/rung.
	The material component of the spell is a one inch diameter by
1/2 inch thick section of a ladder rung.  On one side is written
"Spell Use Only--Evocation Department".  On the other is a large
"V" with the letters "I.G.A.F." below it.

Xaviar's Leaf Filter (Alteration, Divination)

Level:  2
Range:  0
Components:  V, S
Duration:  1 round/level
Casting Time:  2
Area of Effect:  Caster
Saving Throw:  Special

	The casting of this spell allows the mage to filter any leaves
out of his vision for the spells duration.  The leaves are treated
as if they weren't present only for vision purposes.  Spells that
require a line of sight will work for the caster.
	This spell was developed after one too many forest ambushes.
Note that it will not detect invisible creatures, only those using
natural cover.

Quiz's Deathbow (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level:  3
Range:  Special
Components:  V, S, M
Duration:  Special
Casting Time:  3
Area of Effect:  Special
Saving Throw:  1/2

	At the completion of casting, a magical short bow is created in
the spell caster's hand.  This bow allows the wizard to use it as
if he were a fighter of the same level, proficient in short bow.
The wizard also gains any DEX missile attack adjustments.  The bow
itself has a +1 to hit.  It damage varies on the amount that you
pull the string back.  Maximum damage is equal to d6/level.
Different combinations of arrows can be created.  Two arrows per
round can be fired, as long as the maximum damage has not yet been
met.  For example, if the caster is of eighth level, he can fire
eight 1d6 arrows over the course of 4 rounds minimum, a single 8d6
arrow, or any combination between the two.  The bow remains in the
caster's hand until all of the magical energy is used up, to a
maximum of 1 round/level; until the caster decides to cast another
spell; or until the caster is hit with a successful Dispel Magic.
At the completion of the spell, the bow vanishes.  The range of the
bow is 5/10/15.
	The material component for the bow is a miniature gold short
bow of great artistry worth at least 1,000 gp.  For every d6 of
damage fired from the Deathbow, the material component drops in
value by 5 gp.  Note that this is FIRED damage, not POTENTIAL
damage.  If the caster can fire 8d6 worth of arrows, but chooses to
use only 4d6, the gold bow decreases by 20 gp.

Quiz's Nullifying Magic (Illusion/Phantasm)

Level:  3
Range:  30 yards + 10 yards/level
Components:  V, S
Duration:  1 round/level
Casting Time:  3
Area of Effect:  1 magic using creature
Saving Throw:  Special

	When this spell is cast, the wizard creates the illusion of one
of the most fearsome things imaginable to the victim, simply by
forming the fears of the victim's subconscious mind into something
that his conscious mind can visualize.  In this case, the fear is
that the victim can no longer cast spells.
	The only defense against Quiz's Nullifying Magic is an attempt
to disbelieve, which can be tried as many times as desired.  To
disbelieve the phantasm, the subject *must specifically state that
he is making the attempt* and then roll a saving throw vs. spell.
For each attempt of a saving throw after the first there is a -1
to the roll.  For example, attempting a fourth saving throw would
have a -3 penalty to the dice roll.