Subject: Re: New Spell idea, comments needed
From: [email-masked] (Aaron Wigley)
To: [email-masked] (Boudewijn Wayers)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 15:49:32 +1100 (EST)

Here are some spells to get you started :)

The Wigs of Oz,
Aaron Wigley
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shadow Bolt (Illusion/Phantasm)			Level: 2nd
Range:		Special
Components:	V, S
Duration:	Special
Casting Time:	1 round
Area of effect:	1 creature
Saving Throw:	None

	This spell creates arrows from wisps from the plane of Shadows,
when the caster performs the somantic action of drawing a physical,
unloaded bow, and mutters the word 'ShadowBolt'. The arrow is then fired
as normal, requiring an attack roll to hit the target, doing 1d8 points
of damage. (Obviously the caster should know how to use a bow).
	After the spell is initally cast, up to 2 arrows per level of
the caster can be fired within the next hour. Only the caster can use
the arrows, and they disappear both when they do and don't hit the
target.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shadow Bridge (Illusion/Phantasm)		Level: 3

Range:		Starting point up to 20 feet from the caster
Components:	V, S
Duration:	1 round per level
Casting Time:	1 round
Area of Effect:	5 feet wide, 5 feet long per level.
Saving Throw:	Special

	This brings into being a shadowy construct that people who
believe in it can see clearly. The caster automatically believes in the
spell, others have to save vs. spells to do so.
	The bridge will support any weight put upon it, as long as that
weight is people who believe in the spell (physical objects dropped onto
the bridge will fall through), even if there is no apparent support. The
bridge can take on the form of a bridge, staircase or ladder.
	The bridge lasts for the duration, as long as the caster
concentrates on it and has line of sight with it. The caster can
discontinue the spell at any time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shadow Stave (Illusion/Phantasm)		Level: 3

Range:		Touch
Components:	V, S, M
Duration:	3 rounds/level
Casting Time:	8
Area of Effect:	Special
Saving Throw:	None

	This spell brings into being a dark, hardwood quarterstave, that
gives of a slight, dark glow. The stave is weaved from wisps from the
plane of Shadow, and remains in existance for the duration of the spell.
	The weapon is considered to be magical, with a +1 rating per
every 5 levels of the caster (+1 TH, +1 damage, -1 to speed). The
caster has the weapon ready to parry or attack at the end of the casting, 
(somantic components allow the action of a normal quarterstave attack).
	Only the caster can use the weapon, if the staff is dropped,
only the caster can pick it up, to all others it is insubstancial. The
caster can phase the weapon in and out of reality (this action considers 
as speed 1, and can be combined with a normal attack, eg, to phase the 
staff into reality, and perform a normal attack, the weapon speed is 
1 higher than normal).  While phases out of reality, the staff is only 
solid in the casters hands, it appears to be a shadow of its normal form, 
and it can pass through physical objects. While phased, it can hit 
incorporeal objects that are involved with the shadows. 
	The weapon does 1d6+ the rating listed above of temporary damage
(that lasts for an hour) to physical beings. Illusionary, and beings
made from shadows take permanant damage.
	Material components are powdered carbon, and at least a splinter
of hardwood.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Aaron Wigley)
Date: 30 Nov 92 07:37:04 GMT
Subject: Re: New Spell idea, comments needed

Okay, this is the revised version of the spell:
(note, I've now made a much simpler version, that doesn't contain any
spells, it is listed also).
As yet, it is still unplaytested.

The Wigs of Oz,
Aaron Wigley
----------------------------------------------
WEAVE KNOTS (Enchantment)		Level:	2	
Author:		[Aaron Wigley]
Range:		5 yards
Components:	V, S, M
Duration:	Special
Casting Time:	2
Area of Effect:	Special
Saving Throw:	None

	This spell causes a short length of rope, hair, ribbon, twine or 
thread (up to 1 foot/level of caster long) to weave and knot itself 
around/in anything the caster wishes (even itself). The knot is usually
quite intricate, and can be extremly difficult to untie by hand. It can
be used to join two ends of rope together. Given enough raw material, it
could even be used to weave 1 square foot per level of the caster of
cloth or tapestry.
	The caster of the spell can command the knot to untie at any
time, and also to retie itself. All other creatures cannot untie the
lock (although they may be able to cut or break the string/rope the knot
is on). This effect is permanant, and the knot will detect as magical. 
In the case of cloth or tapestry made from this spell, it will not
unravel (however it may be torn/ripped/cut).
	Alternativly, the caster can opt for the knot to be untieable by
anyone. This is not permanant, and the knot will not detect as magical.
[ perhaps this version should be a cantrip ? -Wigs]

KNOTS AND BINDS (Enchantment)			Level:	4
Author:		[Aaron Wigley]
Range:		5 yards
Components:	V, S, M
Duration:	Special
Casting Time:	1 turn	
Area of Effect:	Special
Saving Throw:	None

	This is an advanced version of 'Weave Knots', it has all
functions listed there, and more.
	The second spell must be cast immediately after Knot and Binding 
is cast (add the two casting times together). Alternativly, two wizards 
can work on such knots - one casts this spell, the other casts the intended 
spell, then they combine their efforts. 
	If the added spell is instantaneous, the second spell will not 
activate when it is cast, but rather, its potential will be stored in the 
thread. The caster has the option when the knot spell is cast as to
whether Permanant or special duration spells are activated when the knot
is tied, or when the knot is untied. In such cases, the target is the
person to whom the knot is tied, or the person who untied the knot.
	Only spells that are either area effect, or personal effect can
be used. Aimed/directional spells cannot be stored in the knot. For
example, a fireball spell could work (ground zero is the knot), but a 
lightning bolt or magic missile couldn't.
	The level of the spell cast into it is restricted by the
caster's level:
	Caster Level	Spell Level
	7th-8th		2nd
	9th-11th	3rd
	12th-		4th
	The stored energy will last for 2 days per level of the caster, 
in the case of instantaneous spells, until it disipates harmlessly; or 
when the knots are undone, or the rope is cut, at which time the spells 
effects are unleashed (or half normal effect). The object the knots are 
on is the target of the spell and the person who cut the knot. If the 
knots arn't on anything, the person who undid/cut the knots is the target.
	In the case of Permanant or special duration spells, the spell is 
generally ended when the knot is untied or cut.
	To actually get the knot onto someone, the caster of the knot
spell must get within 5 yards of the target. The enchanted bonds will
then entwine themselves onto the target.
	Detect magic will show that the knots are magical in nature.
	If Dispel Magic is cast onto the knots, two checks are needed.
If the knot spell itself becomes dispelled, then the contained spell
needs to be tested. If the contained spell survives the dispel magic, it
activates. If the knot spell survives, the contained spell automatically
survives.
	Material compontents are a section of rope/twine/ribbon that
becomes knoted which is not consumed at the end of the spell. Also
required is some blood of the caster (just a few drops). 

	Typical applications:

	A 'curse' spell is woven into the ribbon, and it is attached to
someone. For the duration of the curse spell, the person suffers the curse 
effects.
	A fireball spell is cast on a section of rope, used to tie shut 
a bag. If someone opens the bag, the fireball goes off into their face.
the caster can untie the bag safely, and retie it.
	An 'armor' spell is cast on a section of rope. The caster keeps
the rope in his pocket, and if attacked, unties the knot.